Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Health Care


photo Krzysztof Guzik

Articles
History of pharmacies from...
By Zbigniew Biliński, Bogdan Ziobro, Lidia Maria Czyż.
Published: 10.08.2011



History of pharmacies from Jarosław.

    In 1922 three pharmacies were still working: a pharmacy by Józef Rohm („under the Eagle” - under Austrian rule the name was changed into „under a black eagle with double heads”) which was afterwards run by Szymon Pfau, a pharmacy by Edward Kucharski („under a Star”) and a pharmacy by Feliks Wojciechowski („under the patronage of the Providence”). Edward Kucharski was managing his pharmacy till his death in 1935 and this place was the only one in Poland with a round selling room. Edward’s son, Tadeusz, is a central figure of many anecdotes quoted by professor W. Roesky, historian of Pharmacy. Feliks Wojciechowski was a delegate of Eastern Galicia Pharmacists Committee to a conference on pharmacy bill (July, 7, 1931, Warsaw) and as a deputy mayor of Jarosław he was fighting for water supply and sewage system construction. He was professionally active for 60 years and died in 1947. During the World War II the pharmacies were providing partisans from Jarosław area with medicines. There were also convent pharmacies (Jesuit,  Benedictine, Reformate and Dominican ones) and an army pharmacy of Austrian garrison working in Jarosław. In the museum in Jarosław there are two valuable exhibit items: a melting pot from the 15th century and a mortar from the 17th century. Additionally, in the earthwork nearby the collegiate 20 pharmacy vessels from the 17th century were found. In the late 1980s there were four public pharmacies and two hospital ones open in Jarosław.
Zbigniew Biliński

Pharmacy „under the Angel” in Frysztak on the Wisłok river.
   A pharmacy was run by Zaniewski family from 1880s. Jan Zaniewski, the January Uprising fighter, received a Master degree in Pharmacy in exile at the Sorbonne in Paris on January, 17, 1871. After receiving the Austrian authorities’ permission, he came back to Poland through Romania in the late 1870s and settled in Galicia, first in Zboriv (Ternopol Oblast), then in Frysztak where he bought the pharmacy „under the Angel” in 1881. He was running the pharmacy till his death on April, 21, 1900. His daughter Jadwiga married a pharmacist Roman Zasielski in 1896. After Jan Zaniewski’s death, Roman Zasielski leased the pharmacy from its inheritors and then in 1933 he bought it formally. Roman Zasielski received a Master degree in Pharmacy in Lvov in 1891. He was a very colorful person and an outstanding patriot put in Theresienstadt prison, deprived of his degree for criticizing the emperor Franz Joseph I and then released thanks to the emperor’s amnesty from November, 5, 1916. He died suddenly in April 1942. His daughter Ann received a degree in Cracow in 1935 and started working in Lvov. She came back to Frysztak in 1939 just before World War II outbreak. At the end of the year 1940 Anna Zasielska Adamowa, together with her husband, Doctor of Law, founded in Frysztak a prosperous manufacturing company producing pharmacy packaging (Fabryka Pudełek Łubianych „Ada”), open till March, 15, 1949. Anna Adamowa was managing the family pharmacy, nationalized on January, 8, 1951, till August 1952 when she joined her husband Lesław Adam working at the university in Wrocław. Two daughters of Roman Zasielski:  Zofia Zasielska-Rudzińska (financial officer) and Irena Zasielska-Iwańska (Pharmacy technician) also worked in the nationalized pharmacy in Frysztak. Irena’s husband, cavalry captain of 5th mounted rifles regiment in Tarnow was killed in Katyń. The representative of the fourth generation of Zaniewski family is Bogdan Ziobro, Master of Science in Pharmacy, Zofia’s grandson, who works in a hospital pharmacy in Rzeszow.
Bogdan Ziobro

Pharmaceutical Dańczak family in Sokołów Małopolski.
    Jędrzej Dańczak, Master of Science in Pharmacy (he graduated from university in Vienna), founded his first pharmacy in Sanok. Encouraged by the local plans to build the railway, he moved to Sokołów Małopolski to the north of Rzeszów, where he opened a pharmacy under the patronage of St John the Baptist on December, 13. 1856. In 1867 Dańczak was the mayor of Sokołów, a district governor as well as a member of the County Council in Kolbuszowa. His two sons were learning a trade. The older son, Kazimierz, passed a professional qualifying exam on October, 2. 1876 and, after a short practice, went to college in Cracow. He died at an early age on April, 6. 1894. The younger son, Stanisław, received a Master degree in Pharmacy on June, 24. 1889. He was a gifted amateur painter, active town citizen, member of the Town Council, organizer of patriotic celebrations as well as amateur theatre performer. He took over the pharmacy in Sokołów in 1894 by a formal deed of purchase. After a huge fire, on July, 25. 1904 the pharmacy needed to be completely rebuilt, but from the next day after the disaster the medicines were produced there from the remaining resources. From 5 to 30 November 1918 Stanisław supplied at his own expense the unit of the Polish Army local command with goods. He died on November, 24. 1936 at the age of 71. Three of Stanisław’s children chose their father’s profession and all of them went to university in Cracow. Seweryn, born on January, 8. 1904 got a Master degree in 1927 and worked in Przeworsk and Rzeszow. In 1935 he bought a pharmacy named “under a star” in Leżajsk managing it till his death on May, 4. 1961. Zofia received a Master degree in 1937, but she was granted full rights to work in her profession by the department of pharmacies and medicaments in the General Government in Cracow on July, 17. 1940.  Zofia died on September, 17. 1944 after long illness. Wanda Dańczak - Roykiewicz at the time of World War II outbreak had accomplished two years of studies and had finished the professional course for pharmacists in Lvov. On December, 14, 1945 she was granted a diploma and she started running a family pharmacy. After the law of nationalizing the pharmacies, she became its manager and continued working till her retirement in 1981.
Lidia Maria Czyż

A monograph on the history of a pharmacy in Dynów by San.
    Dynów is a small town on the San which has had a town charter from the 15th century. According to the oral tradition, a pharmacy in this town was opened in the 18th century, and perhaps it was granted a privilege by the king Stanisław August. It is certain that a document granting Wojciech Okoński’s pharmacy the principles of heredity, was signed in 1817 by an Austrian emperor Franz Joseph I. In 1842 Feliks Baraniecki received the pharmacy as a wedding present from his relative Wojciech Okoński. Feliks was a pharmacist educated in Cracow and born in Russian Podolia. When young, he participated in the underground activity of Szymon Konarski. He was active in various social activities in Dynów: he founded an advance payment fund (Kasa Zaliczkowa), he was a postmaster and a local government clerk. He died in 1856 without an educated pharmacist successor. The pharmacy was run by an Austrian August Frischmann, its manager. He was actively supporting the January Uprising fighters and taken to Spielberg prison by the Austrians. After being released he married Wanda, one of Feliks’s daughters. August died when his son, Franiszek, was only six years old, so the pharmacy needed to be taken by the strangers. Franciszek graduated from the university in Cracow and received a Master degree on July, 15. 1895. His oath formula, the unique document which every diploma receiver needed to sign, has been preserved till nowadays. For practical as well as sentimental reasons Franciszek changed his surname Frischman to his grandfather's one: Baraniecki. The last owner, and, after the law of nationalizing, the manager of the pharmacy was Kazimierz, Franciszek’s son. Kazimierz graduated from the Jagiellonian University  in 1930. He worked in the pharmacy in Dynów from 1944 till his retirement on January, 27. 1980. The beautiful pharmacy with colorful stone floors in every room does not exist nowadays. Its fittings including a famous barometer with a hermit and the pharmacy „under the patronage of the Providence” emblem can be found in Sanok ethnographic outdoor museum and in Biecz regional museum.
Lidia Maria Czyż

Health Care



photo Mirek

Ads

Truskavets












Bardejovské Kúpele