Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Articles
Zamość
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 25.06.2015



Fortifications

Bastion No. 4
   Today a former bastion constitutes an attraction of the Town Park. Its flanks descend steeply to the moat (now a park pond). When you climb up the steep stairs to the top, you get a view of the park on side and of the plateau and that of an earth entrenchment on the other. At the beginning of the 20th century 3 such entrenchments were built. Two entrenchments, situated next to Bastions No. 6 and 7, were replaced with masonry edifices. The entrenchment next to Bastion No. 4 is the only one which has been preserved in its original shape till the present day. The postern in the middle of the entrenchment joined Bastion No. 4 to the interior of the fortress. The park island, whose banks are parallel to bastion faces, is the former counterguard.

The most important places in Zamość
The Rynek
    It is the heart of the town, its main meeting place and one of the most magnificent 16 th century squares in Europe. Its shape is that of a square, whose side is 100 m long. Two main axes of the town cross in the Rynek: the representative axis (Grodzka Street), which joins Zamoyski palace to Bastion No. 7 and the trade axis (Ratuszowa and Moranda Streets) which joins the three markets, i.e. the Wodny, the Solny markets and the Rynek.
   The Rynek is surrounded with tenement houses with arcades. In the past, the houses were owned by patricians: rich merchants, professors of the academy and courtiers. Originally, all the tenement houses in the Rynek and many other important buildings were topped with parapets - decorative walls protecting their roofs. At present parapets can only be found on the Town Hall and the adjacent Armenian houses. In the arcades there are richly ornamented portals and stuccoes on the vaults.
   In front of the stairs of the Town Hall there is a piece of 17th century cobbled surface as well as a tablet devoted to Józef Piłsudski, which commemorates the fact that the Marshall attended the Mass celebrated in the Rynek on 17 October 1922.


Read More...



History of the residence... Rezydencja Ordynacji Zamoyskich w Kozłówce
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 20.06.2015

Palace end coach-house, park... Kozłówka...
    Erected around 1742 for the Bieliński family, after the design by Józef Fontana, the palace has been owned by the Zamoyski family since 1799. Redeveloped 1897-1914 by Konstanty Zamoyski, it has preserved its original Second-Empire-style dcor from the late 19th and early years of 20th century.



Read More...



Puławy end Sieniawa
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 20.08.2014

Rody Polskie... Czartoryski Dukes family...

Palace
and park in Puławy
    It was the count Stanisław Herakliusz Lubomirski who  erected the first baroque-styled Palace in Puławy. The Palace was built in 1676 only to be destroyed as early as 1706 during the northern war. The coutess Elżbieta Sieniawska, from the Lubomirski family started the reconstruction of the Palace in 1720 in the rococo style. It was her daughter Maria Zofia 1 vote Denhoff, from 1731 wife to Aleksander August Czartoryski, who completed the work.

Palace and park in Sieniawa

Read More...



Uzdrowisko and palace...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 20.06.2014

Horyniec Zdrój

   The park was created in the 30s of the 20th century on the initiative of Stanislaw Karłowski, then the owner of Horyniec values. Tuja avenue in  the park is one of the favorite places for strolls. In 1962 on the initiative of the Head Office of Agricultural Cooperatives the small nature treatment institution called "Łazienki" ("the bathes") was built at the end of the avenue. The health resort visitors from "Rolnik" (present Farmers Rehabilitation Center ASIF), "Metalowiec" (currently "Bajka") came here  every day to have treatment. In 1973 this establishment was taken over by State Enterprise "Polish Spa". And "The bathes" functioned until modern treatment rooms were organized in health resorts. On the park premises and its adjacent territory there are several springs of mineral water. The water from them is characterized by unpleasant smell as it contain the great amount of sculpture compounds.

- Poniński dukes in Horyniec Zdrój
- Łoś family in Narol (the Counts)

Read More...



Fauna
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 20.05.2014

Lasy Janowskie Natura 2000 sites.
- is a vast forest area situated in the western part of Biłgoraj Plain. The large, sandy territory, diversified with dunes, peat-bogs, numerous streams and fish ponds, are covered with pine woods of various humidity level. Smaller areas are occupied by precious fir and oak-hornbeam woods. Northern flora is abundant here (Cares chordorriza, Marsh Labrador tea, Bog-rosemary, Downy willow, Whortleberry willow). Montana species include: wild garlic, Alliums victorialis, Cardamine glandulosa, Lathyrus leavigatus and Deer fern. Other rare plants: Northern Running-pine, Diphasiastrum tristachyum, Eastern Pasqueflower, Viola uliginosa, Senecio crispatus, Brown Beak Sedge.



Read More...



Royal free city... n/Wisła...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 20.03.2014

Kazimierz Dolny

    The history of Kazimierz Dolny reaches the beginnings of Poland. Jan Długosz writes about the  region around Kazimierz as being the property of the Benedictine monastery on Łysa Góra already in the 11th century. He also claims with no doubts that around 1170 Casmir the Just presented a number of villages together with Wietrzna Góra to Norbertine Sisters from Krakow’s district, Zwierzyniec. In gratitude for that gift the sisters changed the name Wietrzna Góra into Kazimierz (Casmir)...
The ruins of the castle
   As Jan Długosz writes, the Kazimierz castle was raised in the 40s of the 14th century on the initiative of the king Casmir the  Great. It was situated on a hill not far from the already existing lonely tower built probably during the reign of Vladislaus the Elbow-High. Both buildings were to serve above all the protection of the town and the nearby passage across the Vistula against the attacks of the Tatars’ hordes, but they also had inside a customs chamber and a control centre for the ships moving on the river...
Zhukiewicz Bohdan
translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz
photos Mieczysław Kowal, Antoni Hadała (bo, zakapior)


Read More...



Castle... n/Wisła...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.03.2014

The ruins of Janowiec castle

    At the beginning of the 16th century Mikołaj Firlej, Lewart coat of arms, the starost of Kazimierz, and later the castellan of Cracow and the grand crown hetman in the land of the former village Syrokomla started to build a marvelous bastile building in a Late Renaissance style. The residence’s grandeur  was to surpass the castle in Kazimierz situated on the other side of the Vistula. The works started in 1507 and lasted around 20 years. In 1537, Sigismund the Old granted city rights to the previously mentioned settlement. In an appropriate document there was a mention that the king allows Piotr Firlej to locate Janowiec near the fortress […] (built at a great expense). This leads us to a rational conclusion that Mikołaj Firlej initiated the building activities, but it was his son - the Ruthenian voivode Piotr - who was the main founder.  Sigismund the Old and Queen Bona stayed in the castle during the ceremony of the town’s location...
Zhukiewicz Bohdan
translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz


Read More...



Rody Polskie... Kurozwęcki end Popiel family...
By Jerzy Zub - Kurozwęki. Zamek; Publisher "ABC" Tarnobrzeg
Published: 20.05.2013

Kurozweki palace
The history of the castle,
 - once a small town on the banks of the Czarna River valley, appeared in written sources for the first time in 1246 as a  village belonging to the Province of Krakow. More or less at the same time a certain “Castellan Mistigneuus filius Martini de Kurozwansch” (descending from the Porait Family, “Rose” coat of arms) is mentioned in a document prepared for the Prince of Sandomierz and Kraków Boleslaw the Chaste. It was a semi-legendary family, derived by Dlugosz from Bohemia and associated with the legend of Saint Adalbert of Prague.
    Gradually, in return for their faithful service to the King Władysław I the Elbow-high, the Porait-Kurozwęcki Family were getting access to the high offices of the  Kingdom and they reached their finest hour in the last years of reign of King Casimir III the Great and Louis I of Hungary. At that time, Dobiesław became (in 1380) the Castellan of Krakow, and his younger son Zawisza, the Chancellor and Bishop of Krakow, became the head of the Hungarian three-person government of Buda (of which Dobiesław was also a member). Zawisza, a lavish lifestyle-loving bishop, was also known for his benevolent activity; he endowed the Mary's Chapel at the Wawel Cathedral.


Read More...



Rody Polskie... Ossoliński family...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 20.04.2013

Ujazd, the ruins of Krzyżtopór castle

    Krzyżtopór Castle was raised in 1626-1644 at Krzysztof Ossoliński’s command. It is an example of an Early Baroque fortress, rather representative than defensive one. The name “Krzyżtopór” is derived from a cross (the sign of the counter- reformation) and an axe (Polish: topór, the emblem of the castle’s founder) forged above the main entrance to the castle. The building itself is huge. It was divided into: four bastions, which represent the four seasons; inside there are 12 halls symbolizing 12 months; 52 rooms, i.e. 52 weeks of the year; and, according to the records, formerly there were also 356 windows representing the number of days in the year. Supposedly, one of the rooms had a glass ceiling above which there was an enormous aquarium with goldfishes, and the castle was surrounded by broad gardens...
Zhukiewicz Bohdan
translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz


Read More...



Tarnów - aristocratic family Tarnowscy end prince Sanguszko
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 20.02.2013

    Charming Galician atmosphere attracts tourists from all over the world who return again and again in order to re-experience this center of Polish culture. A unique mixture of Gothic and Renaissance buildings and battlements, in addition to a Medieval street  layout give the Old Town its own distinct flavor. Complimenting the scenic aesthetics is the jovial spirit of its inhabitants, unique to the southern cities of Poland.
   Today, while walking the streets of Tarnów, you can recognize the remnants of centuries passed like separate stones in a colorful mosaic. In the peaceful quiet of the ancient city, you can hear the lingering voices of heroes come and gone like: the wise Spicymir Leliwita, who founded Tarnów in 1330, the great commander and politician Hetman Jan Tarnowski, the relentless and widely respected freedom fighter general Joseph Bem, and the intelligent historian Józef Szujski. Also, one might stumble upon the legacies of: Jakub Szela, the cursed leader of the Peasant Riot of 1846; Jan Szczepanik, inspired inventor; Wincety Witos, charismatic politician and leader of the peasants movement; Henryk Sucharski, just mayor of the Polish Army and Roman Brandstaetter, soulful writer.

Read More...



Next »
Tourism... photo...
Zamość - (photo zakapior)
Info

Roztoczański National Park in Zwierzyniec