Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Articles
Krasiczyn
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.02.2011



Castle museum in Krasiczyn


   In the same time, the buildings of Krasiczyn consisted of a gate building, manor and farm buildings, and the whole of the estate was surrounded by a shaft and a moat.
   The name Krasicki was adopted by descendants of Jakub Śliwiński after a nearby village Krasice, which was also their property. In the next stage of development, the castle and the neighboring village were called after the owner’s name - Krasiczyn, and it took place in 1602. The neighboring village started to be called Śliwnica.
The construction was started by Stanisław Krasicki, and finished in 1631 by his younger son Marcin.

   Around 15 years since the day he bought it, Stanisław Krasicki started to enlarge the fortified building. A fortified castle and park complex came into being then. Along the wall, on the East side, a residential wing was built. To the North and West the palace was surrounded by flood waters, which increased the ability of protecting the palace’s inhabitants and improved the climate and the spa value.
    The castle is a fortified building built on a quadrangle (according to the cardinal directions) with four bastions in the corners, connected with each other by curtain walls (topped with a Renaissance attic). Sculptures, bas-reliefs and unique wall paintings made in a sgraffito technique with the images of Roman emperors, Polish kings, and representatives of secular and church nobility deserve a special notice. The architecture and decoration of the castle is a reflection of eternal order, according to which all earthly things are subject to church and secular power.
   A chapel in the God’s bastion (with a unique wall decoration compared to the Sigismund’s Chapel of the Wawel Cathedral) is one of the most precious architectonic elements of the castle.
   Count Krasicki was also the founder of the neighboring town, which came into being in 1615, and was considered to be a place in which one could cure male problems with potency.
    Marcin Krasicki, a senator and a starost of Przemyśl, was the next owner of the mansion. He enlarged the Northern and the Eastern wings of the castle. From the courtyard he built so called cloisters and added bastions giving them peculiar names: the God’s, the Pope’s, the Royal and the Noble. The castle gained sumptuous interior decorations, and the former fortified castle was transformed into a residential and fortified mansion.
   However, history did not treat the mansion of Krasiczyn gently. In 1726, the castle was plundered by the czar’s army with the Cossacks (the voivode of Lubin, Jan Tarło, was the castle’s owner then).
    Since 1843 until World War II, Krasiczyn was in the hands of the Sapieha family, who lost their goods in Kodeń and made Krasiczyn their main seat. They renovated the castle, founded a brewery, a sawmill and a brick-yard. They contributed to development of economic and social life in the goods of Krasiczyn. Unfortunately, a fire which started on 3 May, 1852, one day before the wedding of Adam Sapieha with Jadwiga Sanguszkówna (probably fireworks which were to improve the ceremony that were gathered in the vaults spontaneously ignited) destroyed the interiors except the chapel. From that time, the castle started to gradually deteriorate because its owners were not able to cope with the rebuilding and maintenance of the mansion.
   The fact that many rulers of Poland - Sigismund III Vasa, Vladislaus IV, John Casimir and Augustus the Strong - visited the castle in Krasiczyn proves about its magnificence and its meaning.
   It is also worth to mention here about Cardinal Adam Stefan Sapieha (1867-1951), who was born in the Krasiczyn goods, and whose parents are buried in the castle’s crypts.
The park
    The castle is surrounded by a beautiful, broad, romantic park with ponds and with many exotic species of trees and shrubs, which were brought by the Sapieha family from their numerous travels, and with monumental oaks and lindens (the Sapieha family introduced a custom of planting an oak tree when a son was born and a linden when a girl was born). “If this park and this castle were situated in
England or in Germany
, pilgrimages would go there, and a description of the place with its pictures would be known all over the world, in its most secret corners” - wrote Stefan Okraszewski in the half of the 19th century.
   Undoubtedly, it is one of the most beautiful monuments of the Polish Renaissance and one of the most beautiful castles in
Poland
.
   During the warfare, the castle was plundered by the Soviet soldiers. In 1941, fortifications of the Russian Molotov Line, important for the offensive of the Eastern front, existed there.
photo Bohdan Zhukiewicz, (zakapior)
Worked out by Zakapior

translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz


Tourism... photo...
Zamość - (photo zakapior)
Info

Roztoczański National Park in Zwierzyniec