Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Treasures of architecture of the Podkarpacie region...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.08.2011


of the Humnicki family in Bircza

    In the Eastern part of Bircza, there is a Neo-Gothic palace of the Humnicki family from the first half of the 19th century. In the second half of the century, two bastions were added to it. After the fire in 1945 and after the reconstruction in 1969-70, when the palace was designed for a dormitory, the building lost its stylistic features. A 17th century ground fortification and a 19th century landscape park were preserved around the palace.
   The palace in Bircza has its own ghost called the Bircza guard. Similarly to the
Krakow trumpeter, he was killed by the arrows belonging to the Tatars, who in 1672 attacked the town and kidnapped its inhabitants. Supposedly, the ghost appears during August nights on shafts surrounding the palace. It has the form of a man wearing a shiny mail and a coat.

the Ostaszewski family in Wzdów
    We are in an 18th century palace, the seat of the Malopolska (Lesser Poland) Folk University (it exists from 1959, and from 1986, during a two-year course, it educates instructors of artistic craft and socio-cultural animation). The palace belonged to the Ostaszewski family, from which “Leonardo from Wzdów” - duke Adam Ostaszewski, a traveler, a philosopher, an inventor, an astronomer and an artist, came from. He constructed the first Polish plane; he created a universal language, which he presented during a lecture in Paris (the end of the 19th century!). He undermined the heliocentric theory, claiming that the Sun is hidden in the centre of the Earth, from where it warms and illuminates its surface. During the times of Duke Adam, scientists and artists, among them Hugo Kołłątaj, Stanisław Staszic and Wincenty Pol, used to meet in Wzdów. Today, the tapestry and paintings of students of the Malopolska Folk University take place of destroyed during the war stuccoworks and frescos. In the park, among the old trees, there are wooden sculptures and wicker constructions, the remainders of outdoor shots at which the lecturers of the Lvov Academy of Arts come.

of the Skrzyński family (the Counts) in Nozdrzec
    Mentions about the village Nozdrzec (formerly Nieczujów) comes from 1436. On a high slope by the
San River, there was a fortified settlement. Formerly, it was a wooden fortification, later a brick one, with bastions. As well the mansion, as the castle, belonged respectively to: the Kmita family, the Tarnowski family, the Wapowski family, the Szprot-Dunin family, the Wolski family, the Bukowski family and the Preka family.
   From the hands of the Preka family, Nozdrzec went into the hands of the Skrzyński family. In 1843, in the place of the former fortification, a palace for Ludwik Skrzyński was raised. It was designed by Aleksander Fredro.
During World War I, the palace was partly destroyed. In the 20s, it was partly rebuilt.

of the Tyszkiewicz family (the Counts) in Werynia

    The palace and the park complex of the former mansion belonging to the Tyszkiewicz family built in 1900-1905, the park formed in the 18th and in the 19th centuries is slightly neglected (it occupies 16 hectares). A number of ponds adjoin the park. Since 2000, Department of Physiology and Reproduction of Animals of the Rzeszów University has been located there.

of the Wodzicki family (the Counts) in Tyczyn
   Probably already during the times of the Pilecki family, in the same place there was a manor and a farm. Also the Branicki family around 1719  built there a wooden manor, demolished around 1773. A next owner, Piotr Wodzicki, also built his seat there - the larch manor-house demolished after World War II (a well in a park and a group of trees formerly surrounding the manor remained).

   A present, storied manor - called the palace - was built in 1862-69 by count Ludwik Wodzicki. Later, the palace was enlarged and rebuilt - in 1881, according to a design by a famous Krakow architect, T. Stryjeński, a guest pavilion was added to it from the North-West, and in 1890 - along the western elevation of the main building, an outhouse was attached by the pavilion. The changes in the palace and its interior decorations were also carried out then. The Southern elevation was decorated with towers flanking it on both sides and a loggia. The Eastern (middle) elevation received a one-storied portico above the driveway. Next to the Northern  elevation, there was a terrace which did not remain until today. Between the palace, the pavilion and the outhouse there was an orangey with an inner well,  whose corners were decorated with metal ornamental elements in the shape of agaves in flower-pots (after World War II it was completely destroyed and was deconstructed). The outer decorations of the palace - defined as eclectic (uniting many former architectonic styles) - from the end of the 19th century have preserved until today and they contain mainly Neo-Gothic elements. The plasticity of the elevation was formerly emphasized by a thick grape vine covering the walls.
Worked out by Zakapior
translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz
photos (zakapior)

Tourism... photo...


Bohdan Zhukiewicz

Roztoczański National Park in Zwierzyniec