Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Articles
Royal free city...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 20.04.2010



The Franciscan Monastery
   In its present shape it was built at the turn of the 15th and 16th century, located in the south-eastern corner of the former city walls. The first floor, funded by Jerzy Mniszech, the Sandomierz wojewoda (official), was added in 1591. Originally the monastery was a part of a fortified group of buildings, of which two wings have survived up to the present day. T-shaped, with a roof topped by a Renaissance attic. In the refectory there are wooden ceiling beams from the end of the 16th century, with a Latin inscription inscribed on the middle beam. In the mid-15th century St. Jan of Dukla lived in this monastery.



The Franciscan Church of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary
   Its origins go back to the turn of the 13th century. The lower stone part of the presbytery comes from this period. It was transformed at the turn of the 14th and 15th century due to the interest of an official (podkanclerzy), Klemens of Moskorzewo. In the first half of the 15th century naves were added. The interior has a neo-Gothic character and comes from the period after the fire of 1872. Among the surviving objects are relics of wall paintings from the beginning of the 15th and 16th centaury and four large noblemen's graves Jan Kamienieckis (the Renaissance, made by Jan Maria Padovano, Jan and Elżbieta Jędrzejowskis, from the late Renaissance, fromthe workshop of Santi Gucci, Barbara Mniszchowa nee Kamienieckas, Mani eristic, by Jakub Trwały and Jadwiga Firlej nee Jan Lucian Rettino).



The Oświęcim Family Chapel
   Founded in 1647-1648 by Stanisław. Designed by Wincenty Petroni from Milano. Stucco work interior decoration by Jan Baptista Falconi. In the centre of the alter is a painting of St. Stanisław resurrecting Piotrowin. On the walls there are six portraits of the Oświęcim family, including two full portraits of Stanisław and Anna. Under the chapel there is a ctypt with cofins of Stanisław and Anna.





Robert Wojciech Portius house
   Erected in the mid-16th century by the Hesner family. Owned by Portius from 1627, after is marriage to Anna nee Hesner. Thoroughly rebuilt in 108. From Portius times there is a late. Renaissance stone arcade portal with its under-arch decorated by coffers and rosettes. In the arcade is the date 1640, and the monograms RP and AP.



The Mayors House
   Erected in the 15th century, transformed into Renaissance style in the first half of the 16th century. In the arcades there are four ionic columns from the 16th century and a richly decorated Renaissance portal from mid-16th century in the shape of a semicircular arcade. In the arcade there is a coat of arms and initials I S (Ieronim Stano), referring to the owner of the building, town counselor Hieronim Stano.



The building of the former Jesuit College
   Erected in 1660-67 using elements of the city fortifications, funded by Stanisław Zaremba. For over 100 years it hosted a Jesuit college with a high quality of teaching. The irregular rectangle of the interior yard was closed at the northern end by the Jesuit church of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary, which was demolished in 1807. It was one of seven churches in the city before the mid-17th century. After the dissolution of the order in 1773 the premises hosted a school and then a military hospital. After a fire in 1849 the building was rebuilt at the end of the 19th century.





The Parish Church of the Holy Trinity
   Erected in the 2 and half of 14th century, presumably founded in 1402 by King Kazimierz the Great. After transformation at the end the 15th century, consecrated again in 1512. The main Gothic nave was thoroughly transformed in 1637-1646, funded by Robert Wojciech Portius.
   There is a superb church interior from15-17th centuries Including a Gothic Passion painting from the beginning of the 15th century, a board painting of the Coronation of Mary from 1480 sic after from the 17th century, a tin baptismal font funded in 1634 by Portius, over 20 carvers paintings from the beginning of the 17th century and numerous church objects from 17th and 18th.


The Bell Tower of the Parish Church
   Erected in 1637-1651. Funded by Wojciech Robert Portius.
It has three floors, covered by an onion-shaped dome with a steeple. Its present shape is the result of renovation done at the end of the 19th century, led by the architect Tadeusz Stryjeński. Inside there are three bells: Urban, Jan and Marian, made in 1639 by Stefan Meutel and Jerzy Olivier, funded by Wojciech Robert Portius. The biggest of the bells, Urban, with its perimeter of 490 cm, is one of the biggest bells in Poland.



Former Bishops' Palace
   From the fourteenth century up until 1626, the residence of the Bishops was built into the towns fortifications. The core of the building (the western wing with coats of arms, portal and entrance hall) dates from 1638-1646. It was extended and transformed in the 19th-20th century. Now the Podkarpackie Museum.
Bohdan Zhukiewicz
translated by Justyna Rymarowicz


photo (zakapior)

Tourism... photo...
Zamość - (photo zakapior)
Info

Roztoczański National Park in Zwierzyniec