Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Articles
Puławy end Sieniawa
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 20.08.2014


Czartorysk


  
Puławy, as the headquarters of the Czartoryski family for 100 years, had become an important political and cultural center and a rival of  Warsaw. Puławy import rice received a further boost from the activities of the prince Adam Kazimierz Czartoryski and his wife Isabella Fleming. At the turn of the 18th century they had the Palace rebuilt in the classicist style. A few new structures were built in park including the Sybil Temple (1802) and the Gothic House (1809). The latter's function was to accommodate national heirlooms and works of art. The Palace and most of the other buildings were designed by Christian Piotr Aigner. The princess Isabella herself designed the layout of the new romantic landscape park. In 1831, during the November Uprising the Czartoryski had to leave Puławy. In the middle of the 19th century the Palace was enlarged to provide space for a boarding school for girls of nobility. The Palace received a new late classicist appearance. Modifications included addition of the second floor, removal of the outside staircase and the expansion of the wings.
   From 1862 to World War 1 the Palace was the seat of teaching establishments, which trained agronomists and forestry specialist.
   In 1917 the State Institute of Rural Husbandry was established, a nationwide centre for agricultural research.
   Since 1950 the Palace has been the headquarters of the Institute of Soil Science and Plant Cultivation.



    Sieniawa, built by the Great Crown Hetman Adam Mikołaj Sieniawski at the beginning of the 18th century. It gained its present  appearance during a reconstruction in 1881-1883 made by the Czartoryski family. The palace had the most important role in the 19th century, when it was one of the main seats of the Czartoryski family. It started to function as one of the centers of the Galician political, intellectual and cultural life. Juian Ursyn Niemcewicz, Tadeusz Kościuszko stayed in the palace, Czar Alexander I visited it, Juliusz Kossak left an image of the palace painted by him as a souvenir of his visit.
   As far as the outside appearance of the palace is concerned, it is known that the whole building was one-storied then, built at the basic projection of a rectangle. The middle part was covered with a high smooth four-sloped roof. On three middle axes of the front Southern elevation, there was an apparent break closed by a three-toothed cornice front pierced by a big oculus. Four-axial breaks of both wings at the last-but-one axis with blind windows created the side accents. A garden elevation looked similarly, but instead of the apparent break it had an actual break, three-sided with truncate corners. All elevations together with five-axial side ones were dismembered by upright single pilasters, doubled or overlapping.


Kraków

Tourism... photo...
Zamość - (photo zakapior)
Info

Roztoczański National Park in Zwierzyniec