Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Articles
History of the residence... Rezydencja Ordynacji Zamoyskich w Kozłówce
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 25.06.2015

The Library
- is arranged in an English style, with oak-wood glazed bookcases decorated with coats-of-arms: Jelita of the Zamoyskis and Pilawa of the Potockis. The book collection numbers a total of 6,700 volumes, including 572 old prints, with the earliest ones dating to 16th century. The  collection is quite diversified theme-wise, embracing works in the areas of religion, philosophy, history, law, exact sciences, agriculture, dictionaries and encyclopedias, handbooks, children’s books, guides and Baedekers, classical literature and ‘light’ belles-lettres, cartographic collections and year’s issues of periodicals (incl. an almost complete set of Bibliotheca Warszawska of 1841 to 1914; a few dozen year’s issues of the French periodical Revue des Deux Mondes; ladies’ magazines La Mode Illustreé, Bluszcz). In the centre, a table is located (made by Trotschel, Warsaw), with a triple early-20th-centiury kerosene lamp above it. On the fireplace is a bust of Andrzej Zamoyski, an outstanding politician and economic activist, a work by sculptor Marceli Guyski (1869). A Hetman Jan Zamoyski’s bust is to be seen in the opposite corner.


The Exotic Room
- is a small room arranged in an Oriental style. Nineteenth-century utensils from the Far and Middle East are gathered there along with European  products inspired by Oriental art, e.g. a Japanese Imari-type flowerpot, Chinese porcelain chandeliers, a family-rose vase or German imitations of white-and-blue Chinese porcelain. The armchair from the turn of 20th century, a Carlo Bugatti design, inlaid with ivory and mother-of-pearl, copper sheet-metal-clad, is a decent rarity among the pieces of furniture.
   The corridor will lead you from Count Adam’s bedroom to a side staircase and to the White Salon. There is an eighteenth-century wardrobe standing to the right, inlaid with flower and bird motifs. Above it is a portrait of the last owner of Kozłówka - Jadwiga Zamoyska nee Brzozowska, with her three children: Adam, Maria and Andrzej, painted in 1941 by G. Orłowski.


The White Salon
- more intimate in character, is also called the Tapestry Room, after the furniture once present in it. The largest two paintings are copies of group portraits of the Zamoyski family members - one of them (after Angelica Kauffmann) showing Chancellor Andrzej Zamoyski with his offspring Anną,  Aleksander and Stanisław; the other one (after François Gérard) features Zofia Zamoyska with her sons Konstanty and Władysław. The original paintings got burned in 1939 in the Azure Palace. Noteworthy are the pieces of French Louis-XV-style furniture from the latter half of 19th century: two showcases adorned with bronzes from the E. Garnier workshop; inlaid cabinets, decorated with bronzes featuring a lion skin motif; a marquetry-laid desk made by French ebonite Before (the Younger) who specialized in making copies of A.C. Boole's furniture. The chairs, by Jansen of Paris, once furnished the chapel’s interior. The glass cases display 18th, 19th and 20th-century pieces of porcelain from various European manufacturers; objects given off by the Polish society to the National Defense Fund in 1939 (a gold reliquary cross, a pair of rings, a cameo with Hermann and Dorothea), along with other valuable bric-a-bracs (an ivory Chinese woman with chrysanthemums; a Faberge agate wild-boar).


Count Konstanty Zamoyski’s bedroom
   This bedroom mainly features the Count’s closest relatives: the parents Jan and Anna nee Mycielska (on both sides fo the recess); the grandmother Zofia Zamoyska, nee Czartoryska (the largest one, made after the 1799 original by Józef Grassi); Zofia’s brother, Duke Adam-Jerzy
 Czartoryski (above the door; after W. Lesseur-Lesserowicz); Konstanty’s cousin Pelagia Rembielińska by her first marriage and Branicka by her second, nee Zamoyska (excellent copy of a beautiful portrait by F. X. Winter halter); and, in the first place, portraits of Count Konstanty himself and of his wife Aniela Zamoyska, nee Potocka, by Leopold Horowitz (1877). Between the windows is an inlaid escritoire (Wurzburg, Germany, around mid-18th c.). Left of the bed is a cigar cabinet and cabinet-desk. A triple-sectioned table, so-called dumb waiter, stands in front of the bed, with silverwares and plates, made by English and Russian manufacturers, on it. In the room’s right-hand-side corner, behind a screen, is a toilet nook with a washstand and a bathroom set made of Czech porcelain (Fischer & Mieg producers of Brezova, latter half of 19th c.), painted after Japanese Imari porcelain designs.

Count Adam Zamoyski’s study
   This is the first-to-go-to unit in the southern luxury apartment. The room’s pride is a white-and-gold stove featuring the Jelita coat-of-arms, made on special order and  modeled after rococo stoves; the fireplace is, in turn, a replica of the 1781 one to be met in the Versailles palace. Opposite the entrance door, you can see two portraits of Zofia Zamoyska, the one to the right having probably been made at the François Gerard atelier in the early 19th century. Next to the mirror is a portrait of Konstancja and Stanisław Poniatowski, the parents of King Stanislaus Augustus Poniatowski whose effigy is visible above the door leading to the White Salon (both portraits after M. Bacciarelli). The excelling pieces of furniture include: a 19th-century Louis-XV-style French cabinet; a Kolbuszowa-made press with an adjustment in the form of an escritoire; a davenport with the date ‘1716’ inlaid on it. A Martenot-of-Paris clock, reminiscent of the Boulle products, stands on the fireplace sill, as does a pair of French Empire-style chandeliers. On the cabinet by the door stands a bust of Rachel, the French actress who was famous in 19th century. In the room’s corner is a cup offered to Count Adam to commemorate his stay in Detroit in 1928.



1735 – Voivode Michał Bieliński wed Tekla Pepłowska. Tekla’s grandmother Jadwiga Niemyska, wife of a Lublin junior judge, had bequeathed the Kozłówka estate to her.

1742 – The then-already-existing Kozłówka palace is first mentioned – the venue of a baptism ceremony of Franciszek Bieliński, Michał and Tekla’s son at that date. The building, erected between 1735 and 1742, was probably designed by Józef Fontana.

1799 – Franciszek Bieliński sells Kozłówka to Aleksander Zamoyski, 11th heir-in-tail of Zamość. After Aleksander deceased (in 1800), the estate was transferred to his sister Anna Sapieżyna (Sapieha), with the right of life estate for the heir’s widow Maria nee Granowska.

1836 – Anna sells the estate to her nephew Jan Zamoyski.

1870 – Konstanty Zamoyski, the elder son of Jan and Anna nee Mycielska, marries with Aniela Potocka, daughter of Tomasz and Wanda nee Ossolińska. The bride and the groom settle down at Kozłówka, the estate having been passed on to Konstanty by his father. As a dowry, Aniela endowed a yard in Foksal St. in Warsaw where in 1870s the Zamoyskis built a palace designed by Leandro Marconi.

1897-1914 – The palace complex in Kozłówka is rebuilt and redeveloped.

1903 – The entailed estate of Kozłówka is established by tsar Nicholas II.

1917 – Aniela Zamoyska, nee Potocka, dies.

1923 – Konstanty Zamoyski, 1st heir-in-tail of Kozłówka, dies without progeny. The entailed estate is taken over by Adam, his first cousin.

1930 – Death of Adam’s wife, Maria Zamoyska, nee Potocka, 2nd heiress-in-tail of Kozłówka.

1940 – Adam Zamoyski dies at the palace in Foksal St. in Warsaw. He was buried beside his wife, in the Kozłówka park, by the palace chapel. The estate’s ownership was passed to Aleksander, Adam and Maria’s elder son, married to Jadwiga nee Brzozowska.

1941 – During the German occupation, Aleksander Zamoyski is arrested by the Gestapo and imprisoned in the concentration camp of Auschwitz and subsequently, Dachau.

1944 – Jadwiga Zamoyska, together with her children Adam, Maria and Andrzej, leaves Kozłówka as she fears the approaching front. She takes with her to Warsaw the most precious works of art, most of which most regrettably gets lost in the Warsaw Uprising. The Zamoyski family eventually emigrate to Canada in 1948.

1944 – The former Kozłówka entailed estate is taken over by the State, together with the palace-and-park complex, under the Agricultural Reform Decree enacted by the newly established communist authorities.


Coach-house
   A display on travel in the time of yore has been available to visitors since 2002. Historic horse-drawn carts from 19th and early 20th are shown
 there, along with various harnesses, saddles and riding accessories of historical interest, a number of interesting travel-related objects and sports and tourism oddities. The exhibition is held in the southern pavilion, opposite the Socialist-Realist Art Gallery site. A historic eighteenth-century building forming part of the local palace-and-park arrangement, the pavilion formerly functioned as a coach-horse stable, in whose separated section the Zamoyski's palace coach-house was housed.
   The historic vehicles, referred to at times as 'hippo mobiles', come from Poland's largest collection of horse-drawn vehicles of historical interest at the Castle Museum of  Łańcut. Among them you can see e.g. a coup travel carriage by the Warsaw-based Filip Loretz manufacturer, a showy landau, walking carts - popularly called britzkas, among which there excels Victoria, manufactured at the Warsaw-based Józef Goliński factory; an original single-horse-drawn 'butterfly' gig, as well as comfortable sleighs and sledges. The functional and husbandry vehicles group is represented by a wagonette devised for passenger and luggage transport, and a small Lublin trolley. The carts and coaches display is complemented by numerous interesting original exhibits bestowed by the Museum of Hunting and Horsemanship in Warsaw and the Museum of Sports and Tourism in Warsaw. Among the special attractions are the historic coach lanterns, horse-pair harnesses, and the saddles - civil and military ones, with a peculiar horsewoman's saddle, specially made for female riders. Among the numerous horse-related accessories, the visitor's attention is drawn by the mouthpieces (curb-bits), snaffle-bits, bridles, bells attached to harnesses, shackles or spurs. Alongside all those, travel-related objects such as trunks, chests, coffers, suitcases, travelling bags, hat boxes, a travelling septet (old-style chest), a samovar and coach clocks can all be seen. Historic bicycles and a penny-farthing are also shown. An extra attraction is presentations of the Spanish horse-riding school and hunting trophies.



Park
   The garden has preserved its original layout till today. As you go eastwards, a neo-baroque gate, made in the early 20th century by 'Gostyński i Spółka' of Warsaw, will open the way for you to the residence's courtyard. The buildings, gradually rising as they are and connected with S-shaped curtain walls, add a monumental quality to the palace's body.
    To the east, a garden spreads which refers in its division into sections to a renaissance quarter layout, its prominent element being a salon with symmetrically shaped stalls (or parterres) surrounded with boxwood and rose bands. Deeper on, the salon is somewhat narrower, with a semi-circularly topped stall. In the palace direct neighborhood is a fountain featuring putti figurines cast at Le Val d'Osne in Paris.
    At the salon's waist place, at the east, a fieldstone monument is erected where a bronze plate is fixed, cast by Łopieński Brothers, Warsaw, commemorating the resting place of the ashes of Napoleonic soldiers taking part in the year 1812 campaign. The 20th century saw extension of the Park northward, with a peasantry arranged at the site, and eastward, which was to become a bestiary, paying tribute to the tradition. Today, the former peasantry building contains aviaries where beautiful game birds are bred. There is a picnic ground arranged on disforest clearings, with a grilling and banqueting place; a playground for the youngest visitors to Kozłówka is located nearby. A secluded 'nook' immersed in flowers from spring until autumn is the rose garden situated in the northern section of the palace complex. The tree-stand of the Kozłówka Park is mostly composed of lime-trees and maples, but there also are oaks, one of which - growing in the courtyard - is a natural monument; there are chestnut trees, hornbeams, pines and spruces, poplars and birches. The Kozłówka Park is one of the very few places in Europe where you can admire such robust and shapely elm trees.

Tourism... photo...
Zamość - (photo zakapior)
Info

Roztoczański National Park in Zwierzyniec