Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Articles
Rody Polskie... Kmita end Lubomirski family...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 20.01.2012





   In 1553, the castle went into the hands of the Barzich family. Soon after that, in 1593, Sebastian Lubomirski became the owner  of the castle, who took the building over because of the Barzich’s debts. Lubomirski and his son Stanisław rebuilt the castle and added even more splendor to it. In 1616, Stanisław Lubomirski at the foot of the castle founded a town called Nowy (New) Wiśnicz. The former Wiśnicz was renamed into Stary (Old) Wiśnicz. Stanisław also founded a monastery of the Discalced Carmelites situated above the castle.
   The body of the castle, Early Baroque with Renaissance elements, is built in a form of a quadrilateral with an external courtyard and topped with four bastions in the corners. On the north-east side there is a chapel from 1621, and on the south-east side there is a so called Kmitówka, formerly, in the 16th century, a detached building. On the second floor of the castle, next to a knight room, there is an observation  gallery. An interior design embraces baroque portals, window framings, stucco decorations, polychromes. The palace is surrounded by rampart fortifications with a pentagonal outline from the beginning of the 17th century, with an Early Baroque entry gate in an eastern curtain.
The castle in Nowy Wiśnicz was to survive even a three-year-old siege without a necessity of getting in touch with the external world. However, in 1655, the castle was occupied by the Swedes, who robbed the castle and took away 150 carts of valuables and works of art. Because of this event we can admire hardly anything from the former equipment of the castle.
   Since that time, the castle began to fall into ruin. For some period of time, it was the property of the Sanguszko, Zamoyski and Straszewski families. In 1831, the castle was ultimately destroyed by a fire.
   At the beginning of the 20th century the Association of the Princes Lubomirski  began a reconstruction of the castle, but the war interrupted their efforts. After the war, in 1945, the castle was taken over by the state. Conservation works at the castle, where a cultural-artistic centre is to be located, last till today.
   Just above the castle, in the distance of 100 meters, there is a wooden manor-house Koryznówka - a museum of Jan Matejko souvenir.
   Slightly higher there is a penitentiary, which occupies buildings of the former monastery of the Discalced Carmelites (it was a hard prison for the soldiers of the National Army).
   While visiting Nowy Wiśnicz it is worth to see also a beautiful centre of the town.
Bohdan Zhukievicz
translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz
photos granted by Antoni Hadała (vico, bo, zakapior)

Tourism... photo...
Zamość - (photo zakapior)
Info

Roztoczański National Park in Zwierzyniec