Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Articles
Rody Polskie... Ossoliński family...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 20.04.2013





    After 1650, Krzyżtopór belonged respectively to: the Kalinowski family, the Wiśniowiecki family, the Morsztyn
family, the Pac family, the Sołtyk family, the Łempicki family and the Orsetti family. In 1655 the castle was conquered by the Swedes, and during the Bar Confederation in 1770, Krzyżtopór was completely plundered and went into ruin.
   The Iwaniska goods (together with Ujazd) initially belonged to the Cistercians monastery in Jędrzejów, later to the Oleśnicki family. At the beginning of the 17th century the goods went from the hands of Sebastian Ligęza to Zbigniew Ossoliński, but only for a short period of time because Ossoliński gave his property to his son.
   In 1619, Krzysztof Ossoliński received the Iwaniska goods from his father, for which he gave his brother Maksymilian  a landed property in Mielec apart from Kliszów and Gawłuszowice. He also received from his father Stopnica district, which in 1632 he gave to his son, Krzysztof Baldwin. After he grew rich due to the war supplies, Krzysztof Ossoliński, already as a mature man, decided to build a place which would surpass all other building investments of the contemporary magnates. However, the competition was big at that time. We do not know precisely whose invitation caused that Wawrzyniec Senes, a skilled architect and a builder from the Swiss Alps, came to the Sandomierz region. It was probably Krzysztof’s invitation, but Senes’ services were used also by brother Jerzy, the founder of a monumental and original temple in Klimontów, which was built by the mentioned architect. Senes probably rebuilt also Jerzy Ossoliński’s castle in Ossolin and changed it into a Renaissance palace. In the same town he also raised a strange earth structure called Betlejemka because it was to remind the Bethlehem chapel.
   Why did Ossoliński choose the village Ujazd as his new seat instead of Iwaniska?
   Surely, an attractive location of the first village caused it. The investor wanted to have a fashionable at that time mansion palazzo in fortezza type, i.e. a palace in a fortress - a combination of a comfortable house and a defensive site. A slope in Ujazd was the best one for this purpose (moreover, a farm, court built-up and a church were already there), because it was a kind of a natural platform with a broad view on the Koprzywianka river valley.
   The building was initiated in 1627, as is suggested by a date written on a stone board placed above the entrance in a gate  tower. Undoubtedly, the area was leveled by removing a layer of soil covering the rocky base and the foundations were laid. It was a large-scale investment. The founder paid a lot for it. He also had to employ hundreds of workers, highly skilled craftsmen of different specialties and he had to build stone-pits, brick-yards, stone workshops, sculptor’s workshops, carpenter’s workshops etc. Legends also say that war prisoners were employed there. The monumental building was finished it 1644, which ought to be considered a great investment achievement. It should be maliciously claimed here that today a renovation of such a place lasts longer than its construction. However, it is not certain whether the year 1644 is the actual ending of all the works or only of the construction works. Probably equipping the palace with decorative elements, furnishing of the interiors, initiating a beautiful garden at the foot of the fortress lasted much longer.
   Unfortunately, Krzysztof Ossoliński did not enjoy the building for a long time. He died unexpectedly on 24 February, 1645 because of a sudden bout of ague. He lived then in Krakow and was setting out for a seem. He was buried in the undergrounds of the church of the Discalced Carmelites wearing a Franciscan habit. In those days, wealthy people had several houses and lived periodically in different places. Maybe Krzysztof Ossoliński even did not settle his wonderful and new seat at all. He simply did not manage to do it because of his active way of living. He was only 58 years old. Probably he planned to stay in Ujazd in his old age.
   Krzysztof Baldwin, the only son of the voivode of Sandomierz, became the only heir of the voivode’s large property. It is known that Krzysztof  Baldwin studied at the Krakow University. In 1631, he received the regions of: Ropczyce, Wiślice and he already had the region of Stopnica. Together with his wife he probably stayed periodically in Krzyżtopór and perhaps he continued to carry out building and finishing works. He was married twice. His first wife, Anna, came from the Zebrzydowski family, also known as the Ossoliński family. She died few years after the wedding and the voivode got married for the second time. This time with Teresa Tarłówna, whom he loved very much. Similarly to his first wife, the second wife of Krzysztof Baldwin died in a very young age. Her image, together with an appropriate inscription, was placed at the facade of the palace. On 8 June, 1648 during the regional council in Opatów, the nobility from Sandomierz called to arms soldiers from the particular districts of the Sandomierz region. Krzysztof Baldwin Ossoliński became the cavalry-captain and was given 100 hussars for protection of the Eastern borders of contemporary Poland within the levy in mass. Therefore, young Ossoliński, as a commander of the hussars (100 horses) went to war against the Tatars. Soon, in the region of Podole, he died hit by an arrow from a bow during the Battle of Zborów in 1649. He did not have any heirs and the castle went into the hands of his relatives. However, Baldwin’s ghost as a black knight - hussar remained.
Zhukiewicz Bohdan
translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz

Tourism... photo...
Zamość - (photo zakapior)
Info

Roztoczański National Park in Zwierzyniec