Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Articles
Julin
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.11.2010

Julin
- settlement occupies the North-East part of the Wydrzańskie forests being the part of the former Łańcut Estate.

   Beginnings of Julin are connected with the first heir of the estate, Alfred Potocki, who in Antoniny married Józefina Maria Czartoryska from Korzec (1787-1862). The son of Julia Potocka, who was a daughter of duchess Izabela from the Czartoryski family Lubomirska, founded a farm Julin – called after the daughter’s name - there (1844-1846). Estimates of his building investments preserved in Central Archives of Historical Records: farm cost 447 Rhine ducats, sheep-fold (1846-1848) 1099 Rhine ducats, stables and stretchers (1846-1849) 813 Rhine ducats. In 1845-1850 it had a relatively small area of 201 morgens.
    Gradually enlarged by wage peasants, who received clearings for their work - in the first two years, for one morgen one had to work six days at harvest.
   The date of origin of the palace complex (1872) ought to be connected with the second owner of the estate; Alfred Józef (1822-1889) married to Maria Klementyna, princess Sanguszkówna from Antoniny (1830-1903). He was 40 years old and had a big experience in organizing the agriculture industry in Volhynia in his wife’s property when he received the estate. He was the Minister of Agriculture and the Austrian Prime Minister. He led the high life which caused that the family mansion in Łańcut was progressively collapsing. He treated the estate mainly as a subsidiary source of food for tables in
Vienna and in Lvov. Therefore, the palace complex in Julin came into being in order to satisfy the owner’s ambition; he had as his guest czar Franz Joseph and the archduke Rudolf. In the forests of Łańcut, hunting’s, in which archduke Franz Ferdinand took part, were organized. The summer residence of the Potocki family was built according to the prevailing fashion. It included: a small palace, a pavilion, and a building raised next to the gate in the park (9 hectares). Inside the palace there is a hall with two-armed stairs leading to the residential floor. In the hall there are doors leading to the opposite great halls with Neo-Renaissance fireplaces, with walls covered with wainscot and with ornamentally decorated ceilings. The park embraced natural forest stands with oaks and beeches, separated from the forest complex  with lines of trees (to the South and North). An aged alley with around 170 Polish and European larches led to the complex. To the South from the palace there was a driveway with an oval flower-bed, whose natural extension was an alley leading to a glade, to the West of the driveway a second glade was made. Wooden buildings raised in the Swiss style are till today the proof of good taste of the owners.
   A next owner, Roman Potocki (1851-1915) with his wife, Elżbieta from the Radziwiłł family (1861-1950), to a large extent contributed to development of the social life in the castle. Elżbieta, known as Betka, was a daughter of duke Antoni, an heir of the estate in Nieśwież and in Kleck, and Elżbieta Maria de Castellan, who was related to other French family of dukes
Talleyrande-Perigord and who was a close friend of Augusta – the wife of czar Wilhelm I.
   They traveled a lot around other courts in Europe, they were familiar with all kinds of modern solutions and they implemented them in the castle during its enlargement and modernization.

Zakapior
translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz

comment
http://pogranicze.eu/pl/gallery/categories.php?cat_id=92&sessionid=d451d3eb95ea03efd6b12c3e372d0ac2

Tourism... photo...
Zamość - (photo zakapior)
Info

Roztoczański National Park in Zwierzyniec