Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Palanok from Zakarpattya
By Galicja Pogranicze
Published: 10.06.2013

Bohdan Zhukiewicz


   The paper describes the Palanok castle in the Zakarpattya in Western Ukraine. This is one of the most popular tourist sites in Ukraine, famous not only of turbulent history and military architecture, but also interesting geology and incomparable scenic views. The recent castle was built in the XIVth century at the top of Sarmatia-Early Pannonian hornblende-pyroxene andesine plug, which rises 68 meters above the surrounding plain. The castle includes lower, central and upper parts with 130 rooms of total area about 14 000 m2. In 2008 over 100,000 visitors have arrived from Ukraine, Slovakia, Poland and Hungary, which generated over 50, 000 EUR profit. Recently, the castle is a site of regional museum, modern painting gallery and thematic exhibition "The wooden churches of Zakarpattya".
photo Taras


By Galicja Pogranicze
Published: 05.08.2011

"The Oil Trail of Carpathian and Galicia"
- preserve the relics of the world's oil industry.

    Sub-Carpathia, therein, Land of Gorlice has been the Land of pump jacks cobwebbed by oil rigs. It is where, in the 1850s, first oil wells, distilleries, and oil corporation used to come into being giving rise to the development of oil industry all over the world.
   The traces and symbols of hard and effective work of generations grew into the local landscape interlacing with natural values.

The Ethnographic Park, Folk Architecture Museum in Sanok.
Crude-oil Sector
    Oil industry exhibition presents an outline of oil mining history In Sub-Carpathian since the mid 19th century up to the present day. It consists of building, machines and tools from the closed mines in the Western Bieszczady Mts., the Carpathian foothills and the Lower Baskid Mts. One can trace there the successive stages of the development of what used to be the most important industry of that area staring from the oldest manual methods of mining oil from dug-wells, trough percussion drilling group pump system (
by means of treadmills and oil-well pump) and individual pump (pump cranes) to all-round treatment of the mined Wells, oil transport storage.


Trail of manor architecture - palace and park complex. Teams park - court and residential...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.07.2011

   Pawlikowscy - właściciele Medyki - byli prawdziwymi mecenasami sztuki. Nazywano ich nawet nieco żartobliwie Medyceuszami spod Przemyśla. Z pochodzącego z XVIII-XIX wieku. zespołu pałacowo-parkowego do dziś zachowały się dom gościnny i majdan gospodarczy z dawną oficyną dworską. Dom gościnny, zbudowany według projektu Michała Pawlikowskiego w stylu szwajcarskim (1898), usytuowany jest na wyspie połączonej mostem i drogą z majdanem gospodarczym w kształcie podkowy, otoczony wałami i fosą z około 1534 roku. Klasycystyczna murowana oficyna dworska, tak zwana "sędziówka", pochodzi z XIX. Zachowały się też piwnica oraz fundamenty starszych zabudowań, a także mur dawnej ananasarni, wzdłuż drogi przy północnej krawędzi parku.

Bolestraszyce Arboretum
Dzieduszycki family in Zarzecze
Krasicki family in Dubiecko
Załuski family in Iwonicz Zdrój
Mniszek in Dukla

Here we find an unusual structure, called Kasztel Gładyszów.

   Manor was once the seat of ancestral Gładyszów. The  building was built in two stages. It is not known who was a builder, or do not know the architect of this extraordinary building. It was equipped with a whole system of loopholes. We most liked the unique sgraffitta.
   From the very beginning until the end of the seventeenth century was the residential representative. Until the end of the eighteenth century lived in the different owners.
After Gładyszach were here Sękiewiczowie or Kuźniarscy.
   Is it really any court served a defensive function, I do not know.
    This extremely interesting building resembles a fortified castle, but really it does not. Zbudowano it over a small slope, which reminded of the defensive nature castle. About his character defense also had to provide the window shooting. Is small windows chambers. In its immediate vicinity were placed tiny museum.

Worked out by Bohdan Zhukiewicz
photos Archiwum, Jan, (bo, zakapior)


Lubomirski Dukes
By Pogranicze
Published: 20.06.2011

Opracował Bohdan Zhukiewicz (photo bo, zakapior)

mita end Lubomirski family...
Nowy Wiśnicz

 in Rozwadów

in Przemyśl
in Przeworsk
The palace was bought by duchess Izabela Lubomirska for her beloved foster-son Henryk.
in Boguchwała

Zamek Lubowniański (hrad v Starej Ľubovňi)


Treasures of architecture of the Podkarpacie region...
By Pogranicze
Published: 10.05.2011

   The Podkarpacie region covers areas once inhabited by the richest and most influential families of the Kingdom of Poland. You can delight today in  the wonderful castles and residences they built. Even the most discerning tourist will find here something worthy of attention. Royal castles, palaces full of pomp, manors in the Old Polish style hidden amongst old parks, and also the majestic ruins of former family nests-all there can be seen, while travelling through the picturesque corners of the Podkarpacie. We will begin our wanderings by visiting two Royal Castles, fortifications from the Middle Ages, which used to defend the Przemyśl and Sanok territories.

- Humnicki family in Bircza
- Ostaszewski family in Wzdów
- Raczyński family in Zawada
- Skrzyńscki family (the Counts) in Nozdrzec
- Tyszkiewicz family (the Counts) in Werynia
- Wodzicki family (the Counts) in Tyczyn

Worked out by Zakapior
translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz
photos (bo, zakapior)


Royal free city Sandomierz... Old Town...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.09.2010

    Sandomierz is one of oldest and historically most important cities in Poland. The beginnings of settlement within the boundaries of the city and its adjoining area date back to the foremost times, which can be certified by numerous archaeological discoveries  made within the city and its surrounding area. The first traces of human presence in this area originate in the earlier period of the Stone Age - the Neolithic era (5200 B.C. - 1700 B.C.).
   However, the main development of the city appeared mainly in the period of the early Middle Ages. The development was possible, among others, due to the very attractive and convenient position of Sandomierz on important commercial trade routes - on the border point of three geographical regions: the Sandomierz Uplands, the Sandomierz Valley and the Lublin Uplands.
Bohdan Zhukiewicz (photo bo, zakapior)
translated by Justyna Rymarowicz


Famous people from the history of Kresy
By Galicja Pogranicze
Published: 05.07.2010

„Of chains and disgrace the mere thought abusive
Offends the honesty of free Podolanka,
Therefore, she grabs her child into her arms,
Like Scyths formerly in Tauryka priestesses,
Grabbing two knives stern for enemies,
Grand! (She called) my Fathers’ God,
And you their shadows! You have two victims,
Both innocent – accept both of them,
One will fall at the freedom’s grave;
The other - purer - at the altar of faith!”

King Bolesław the Bold
King Casimir the Great
Prince Konstanty Ostrogski
Stephen Báthory
Prince Konstanty Wasyl Ostrogski
Hetman Stanisław Żółkiewski
Khmelnytsky Bohdan Zenobi
King John Casimir
Prince Jeremi Michał Wiśniowiecki
King Jan III Sobieski

Anna Dorota Chrzanowska
According to Chrzanowski’s last will, she was Anna Dorota von Frezen, so  she was German not Pole. For the first time the name Zofia was mentioned in 1828 by Zaborowski in his poem. Others called her Małgorzata.

Worked out by Bohdan Zhukiewicz

translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz

photo (bo)


By Pogranicze Media
Published: 25.06.2010

    In chronicles Biecz is named as early as in 11th century. Accordingly, Biecz had become a castellany which owned a great part of today Podkarpacie region. The town was a strategic military stronghold due to its location near the Polish border. Also, Biecz served an important role  as a trade and economy center as a result of its position at the crossroad between the north-south and west-east trade routes. Firstly, Biecz was a village and it was located as far as 500 meters from the preset town location. By the mid-13th century, the village granted the town rights and from that on Biecz became a city. At that time, the first walls were constructed, because initially the town hand been protected only by ditches. However, in 1399 the construction needed to be fixed. In the mid-14th century, Biecz had a population of over 3,000 inhabitants, while in the then Polish capital Cracow lived 10,000 people.
Bohdan Zhukiewicz (photo zakapior)
translated by Justyna Rymarowicz


Castles of the Podkarpacie Region /2
By Galicja Pogranicze
Published: 10.06.2010

Royal castles, lordly palaces full of splendor, Old Polish manor - houses, hidden among aged parks, and majestic ruins of the former seats – all this may be seen while travelling through the picturesque corners of the PODKARPACIE Region.
... come, see, comment...
visit -

Przemyśl Royal Castle - Kazimierzowski

... raised after 1340, during the reign of King Casimir the Great, a brick castle in a Gothic style, of which only an entrance gate preserved…
…in 1616-1631, the castle was being rebuilt by Marcin Krasicki, the starost of Przemyśl…

fot. Kazimierz Błonar

Dzików, currently Tarnobrzeg

... a seat of the Tarnowski family...
... in 1522, Jan Spytek Tarnowski, Leliwa coat of arms from, Wielowieś near Tarnów bought Dzików...
... privilege of founding Tarnobrzeg in1593 given by king Sigismund III Vasa...
Stanisław Tarnowski starte to enlarge the castle...

Zawada near Dębica

... a seat of the families: Ligęza, Przependowski, Bieliński, Radziwiłł and Raczyński... 
... the castle was built around 1656 by the Ligęza family…
... in 1819, Anna Radziwiłłówna gave a castle in Zawada as a dowry to her husband Atanazy Raczyński...

Sanok Royal Castle

... the castle was raised by starost Mikołaj Wolski in 1523-1548...
... During the times of its splendor, the castle was a sumptuous residence belonging to the King...
- as a property of Queen Bona, whose family armorial cartouche Sforzów exists till today...


... seat of the Ligęza and Lubomirski families...
... during the Swedish Deluge, after lawful King John Casmir had abandoned the country, an army, and faithful to the King, had in their hands four powerful fortresses: Jasna Góra, Lvov, Łańcut and Rzeszów...
... Grand Marshal of the Crown, Hieronim Sebastian Lubomirski, commanded from the Rzeszów castle...

worked out by Zakapior
translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz
(bo, ordynat, mk, zakapior)


Castles in the Roztochia, and farther the Region of Volhynia and the Region of Podolia
By Galicja Pogranicze
Published: 05.06.2010

Zhovkva (Żółkiew)

Zhovkva is a town full of monuments, Situated in the Roztochia - 34 km from Lvov. Founded in 1597 by Stanisław Żółkiewski, the Field Crown Hetman. It was the private town. It was granted city rights in 1603. Next, by heirdom, it became the property of his grandson, King John III Sobieski, it also belonged respectively to the Daniłowicz family and to the Radziwiłł family....
Zhovkva was a favorite residence of John III Sobieski. The king strengthened the town with modern fortifications, he was also decorating it in a Baroque style, he brought there his numerous war trophies...
Worked out by Bohdan Zhukiewicz
translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz


    Olesko is a town situated around 70 km from
Lvov (not far from Pidhirsti and Zolochiv), famous mainly for a castle, a church and a monastery of the Capuchins and a former Holy Trinity Catholic church. For the first time, Olesko appeared in the written sources from 1372. The castle, situated on a hill overlooking the neighboring plain, was built in the 14th century by Galician Volhynian dukes and was many times destroyed by the Tatars. In 1432, the castle was conquered by Jagiełło, who gave it to Jan of Sienno. After the Sienieński family, the Herbut family, later the Kamieniecki family, and at last the Daniłowicz families were the next owners of the castle...
Worked out by Bohdan Zhukiewicz
translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz

Pidhirtsi (Podhorce)

    One of the most precious palaces and garden complexes in the Kresy, in the type of villa castello. The composition is based on numerous connections between the view and the surroundings. The palace is situated in a way which enables one to see from the representative rooms and from the garden terraces the boundless plains of the Volhynia Region, and the palace itself is visible from the Volhynia Region for many kilometers...
Władysław of Varna bestowed the goods of Pidhirtsi and Zahirtsi to Janusz Podhorecki...
Worked out by Bohdan Zhukiewicz
translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz

Zolochiv (Złoczów)

    - situated to the East from
Lvov on a Road to Ternopil, relatively not far from Pidhirtsi and Olesko.
During the times of Sigismund the Old, Wladysław Sieniński, whose town was granted the Magdeburg Rights in 1523, was the owner of the castle. The Górka family of Greater Poland was the next owners of the castle, and since 1592, Marek Sobieski - the grandfather of King John III Sobieski - owned the castle...
Worked out by Bohdan Zhukiewicz
translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz


The castle was built in 1630-1635 by Grand Hetman Stanisław Koniecpolski. A two-storey residential building in the form of a palace with a big courtyard decorated with arcades, casemates and a tower was built on a pentagon. The whole was surrounded by walls and defensive shafts with ramparts and a moat. An entrance led through a bridge above the moat and through a gate.

Worked out by Bohdan Zhukiewicz
translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz
Photos Aleksander Mishuk, Mieczysław Kowal, Janusz Kurasz, Jurek Jaremczuk, (zakapior)


Next »
History... photo...

Kamianets-Podilskyi - (photo zakapior)