Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
History Galicia and Lodomeria, Zakarpacie, Podole, Wołyń, Kresy.
Articles
Biecz
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.06.2011



   In order to a favorable conditions Biecz had an opportunity for a trade and a handcraft development. In the mid-16th century, there were almost 30 different kinds of good produced, especially canvas and cloth. In 15th century, Biecz became one of the most important cloth producer in the  country. The town was owned by the crown, that is why Biecz also served a judicial and administrative role. In Biecz, there were three castles: the first castle was located near the town, however it was demolished in 1475, the second castle was built in the east part of town, but it was completely destroyed in 1395, the third one was constructed in 1475 and in 1640 was rebuilt for a monastery and it can be visited up to now.
   Economic properity gave rise to a mentality that valued education, which prompted the 1528 opening a new school building. Also,
Biecz was a home to a number of famous artists, philosophers and scientists, such as: Jakub Piotrowski, Marcin Kromet, Piotr Ciekliński, Jan Januszowicz, Wacław Potocki and others.
   Between 14th and 16th century Biecz was in its full bloom.The crown's encouragement of growth and trade, as well as the town's favorable location, were major influences on Biecz's rapid growth during this period. Biecz was the location of the high court that dealt with the enforcement of the Magdeburg laws.
Bohdan Zhukiewicz (photo zakapior)
translated by Justyna Rymarowicz


History... photo...

Kamianets-Podilskyi - (photo zakapior)

Info