Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
History Galicia and Lodomeria, Zakarpacie, Podole, Wołyń, Kresy.
Articles
Biecz
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.06.2011

    In chronicles Biecz is named as early as in 11th century. Accordingly, Biecz had become a castellany which owned a great part of today Podkarpacie region. The town was a strategic military stronghold due to its location near the Polish border. Also, Biecz  served an important role as a trade and economy center as a result of its position at the crossroad between the north-south and west-east trade routes. Firstly, Biecz was a village and it was located as far as 500 meters from the preset town location. By the mid-13th century, the village granted the town rights and from that on Biecz became a city. At that time, the first walls were constructed, because initially the town hand been protected only by ditches. However, in 1399 the construction needed to be fixed. In the mid-14th century, Biecz had a population of over 3,000 inhabitants, while in the then Polish capital Cracow lived 10,000 people.
Bohdan Zhukiewicz (photo zakapior)
translated by Justyna Rymarowicz

Read More...



Lubomirski Dukes
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.08.2010

Opracował Bohdan Zhukiewicz (photo bo, zakapior)


Kmita end Lubomirski family... in Nowy Wiśnicz...
http://eu.pogranicze.eu/index.php?categoryid=17&p2_start=10
http://eu.pogranicze.eu/index.php?categoryid=17&p2_articleid=499

in Rozwadów

in Przemyśl
in Przeworsk

The palace was bought by duchess Izabela Lubomirska for her beloved foster-son Henryk.
in Boguchwała

...the Ligęza and Lubomirski families... in Rzeszów...
http://eu.pogranicze.eu/index.php?categoryid=25&p2_articleid=164



... the Ľubovňa Castle - zamek Lubowniański (hrad v Starej Ľubovňi)...
http://eu.pogranicze.eu/index.php?categoryid=43&p2_start=10
http://eu.pogranicze.eu/index.php?categoryid=43&p2_articleid=127

http://www.sk.pogranicze.eu/index.php?categoryid=9&p2_articleid=12

in Lvov


Read More...



Castles in the Roztochia...
By Pogranicze Galicja
Published: 05.06.2010

Zhovkva (Żółkiew) 
 - is a town full of monuments, Situated in the Roztochia - 34 km from Lvov.  Founded in 1597 by Stanisław Żółkiewski, the Field Crown Hetman. It was the private town. It was granted city rights in 1603. Next, by heirdom, it became the property of his grandson, King John III Sobieski, it also belonged respectively to the Daniłowicz family and to the Radziwiłł family...
   Zhovkva was a favorite residence of John III Sobieski. The king strengthened the town with modern fortifications, he was also decorating it in a Baroque style, he brought there his numerous war trophies...
http://eu.pogranicze.eu/index.php?categoryid=42
http://eu.pogranicze.eu/index.php?categoryid=42&p2_articleid=567

Olesko 
John III Sobieski King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania
 - is a town situated around 70 km from
Lvov (not far from  Pidhirsti and Zolochiv), famous mainly for a castle, a church and a monastery of the Capuchins and a former Holy Trinity Catholic church. For the first time, Olesko appeared in the written sources from 1372. The castle, situated on a hill overlooking the neighboring plain, was built in the 14th century by Galician Volhynian dukes and was many times destroyed by the Tatars. In 1432, the castle was conquered by Jagiełło, who gave it to Jan of Sienno. After the Sienieński family, the Herbut family, later the Kamieniecki family, and at last the Daniłowicz families were the next owners of the castle...

Zolochiv (Złoczów)
- situated to the East from Lvov on a Road to Ternopil, relatively not far from Pidhirtsi and Olesko. During  the times of Sigismund the Old, Wladysław Sieniński, whose town was granted the Magdeburg Rights in 1523, was the owner of the castle. The Górka family of Greater Poland was the next owners of the castle, and since 1592, Marek Sobieski - the grandfather of King John III Sobieski - owned the castle...

Pidhirtsi (Podhorce) 
Rody;
Podhoreckich, Koniecpolskich, Rzewuskich, Sanguszków...

    One of the most precious palaces and garden complexes in  the Kresy, in the type of villa castello. The composition is based on numerous connections between the view and the surroundings. The palace is situated in a way which enables one to see from the representative rooms and from the garden terraces the boundless plains of the Volhynia Region, and the palace itself is visible from the Volhynia Region for many kilometers...
   Władysław of Varna bestowed the goods of Pidhirtsi and Zahirtsi to Janusz Podhorecki...

Brody 
   
The castle was built in 1630-1635 by Grand Hetman  Stanisław Koniecpolski. A two-storey residential building in the form of a palace with a big courtyard decorated with arcades, casemates and a tower was built on a pentagon. The whole was surrounded by walls and defensive shafts with ramparts and a moat. An entrance led through a bridge above the moat and through a gate.
Worked out by Bohdan Zhukiewicz
translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz
Photos Aleksander Mishuk, Mieczysław Kowal, Janusz Kurasz, Jurek Jaremczuk, (zakapior)

Read More...



Castles of the Podkarpacie Region /2
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.05.2010

Royal castles, lordly palaces full of splendor, Old Polish manor - houses, hidden among aged parks, and majestic ruins of the former seats – all this may be seen while travelling through the picturesque corners of the PODKARPACIE Region.
... come, see, comment...
visit - http://pogranicze.eu/pl/gallery/

Przemyśl Royal Castle - Kazimierzowski

... raised after 1340, during the reign of King Casimir the Great, a brick castle in a Gothic style, of which only an entrance gate preserved…
…in 1616-1631, the castle was being rebuilt by Marcin Krasicki, the starost of Przemyśl…

fot. Kazimierz Błonar

Dzików, currently Tarnobrzeg

... a seat of the Tarnowski family...
... in 1522, Jan Spytek Tarnowski, Leliwa coat of arms from, Wielowieś near Tarnów bought Dzików...
... privilege of founding Tarnobrzeg in1593 given by king Sigismund III Vasa...
...
Michał
Stanisław Tarnowski starte to enlarge the castle...


Zawada near Dębica

... a seat of the families: Ligęza, Przependowski, Bieliński, Radziwiłł and Raczyński...
... the castle was built around 1656 by the Ligęza family…
... in 1819, Anna Radziwiłłówna gave a castle in Zawada as a dowry to her husband Atanazy Raczyński...


Sanok Royal Castle

... the castle was raised by starost Mikołaj Wolski in 1523-1548...
... During the times of its splendor, the castle was a sumptuous residence belonging to the King...
- as a property of Queen Bona, whose family armorial cartouche Sforzów exists till today...


Rzeszów

... seat of the Ligęza and Lubomirski families...
... during the Swedish Deluge, after lawful King John Casmir had abandoned the country, an army, and faithful to the King, had in their hands four powerful fortresses: Jasna Góra, Lvov, Łańcut and Rzeszów...
... Grand Marshal of the Crown, Hieronim Sebastian Lubomirski, commanded from the Rzeszów castle...

worked out by Zakapior
translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz
photos
(bo, ordynat, mk, zakapior)

Read More...



Castles in the region of Volyn end Podolia...
By Pogranicze Galicja
Published: 05.05.2010

Vyshnivets (Wiśniowiec)
Princes Wiśniowieckich
    Formerly a town, it is situated on the border of the Volhynia Region and the Podolia Region, by the Horyn River, about 25 km to the East from Załoźce...
    The first mentions about the settlement come from 1395, but under the name Vyshnivets the place was mentioned for the first time in the half of the 15th century. The town is known mainly from the battle which took place there on
28 April 1512, when under Vyshnivets the army of Rzeczpospolita conquered the Tatars’ army...
The grandson of the Grand Duke of Lithuania, Gediminas, Dymitr Korybut founded castles in Vyshnivets and in Zbarazh. When the first castle was built, he started to use the name Wiśniowiecki...
The famous duke Jerema Michał (1612-1651), the voivode of
Ruthenia, founded a church and a monastery of Carmelites (1645) in the town and fortified the castle which has already existed there..

Z
barazh (Zbaraż)

Siedziba princes (książąt) Zbarskich and Wiśniowieckich
 - in the 13th century, at the top of the Old Zbarazh Mountain, a wooden fortified castle, which was destroyed during the Tatars invasion in 1589, was built…

    The second castle was raised by Zbarazh dukes - brothers Jerzy and Krzysztof. A design of the castle was prepared by the Italian architect Vincenzo Scamozzi in 1612, and construction works began in 1620. In 1627, after the death of Krzysztof and later, after the death of his brother Jerzy, the castle went into the hands of the Wiśniowiecki family (they came from the same Korybutowicz lineage as the Zbaraski family). New owners strengthened the castle’s defensive system, and enlarged a residential part - the palace…
   For Poles, a visit in the town is always an opportunity for emotion or, at least, it is an adventure with a thrill…
… We are recalling With Fire and Sword…

Buchach (Buczacz) 

    The castle was built in the 14th century by the  Buczacki family. Formerly, it was a wooden building, later - a brick one. Built on a triangle base it had an entrance through a gate tower and leading through a courtyard to a residential building...
   The Buczacki family settled in Yazlovetz, they adopted the name Jazłowiecki. Due to their efforts, the town and the castle enlarged...


Yazlovetz (Jazłowiec)
    A castle, and later unfortunately ruins of the castle, which survived till the outbreak of World War II, was built in the first half of the 16th century by Jerzy Jazłowiecki (1575), the Grand Crown Hetman, and beautified and strengthened by his son Mikołaj, the starost of Sniatyn...

Terebovl  (Trembowla)
    Thanks to Henryk Sienkiewicz every Pole knows what the
fortress in Kamianets Podilskyi was in the old Poland and what the history of the fortress is. It is a completely different story with respect to the castle in Terebovl, which was considered to be the next after Kamianets and served an important function in a defensive system of the Galicia land...
Aleksander Mishuk
translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz
Photos Aleksander Mishuk, Mieczysław Kowal, Janusz Kurasz, Jurek Jaremczuk, (zakapior)

Read More...



Ruins of castles in the Podkarpacie Region...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.04.2010

visit with us...
see - 
http://pogranicze.eu/pl/gallery/

Ruins of the castle of the Fredropol

... history of the Fredro family...


Ruins of the Kamieniec castle in Odrzykoń

... history of the families: Kamieniecki, Boner, Firlej, Skotnicki...
... belongs to the oldest fortresses in the Podkarpacie Region...
… traces of the settlement from the period of the Lusatian culture discovered on the castle hill show it…
… the castle was inherited by the Firlej family (the lower castle) and by the Skotnicki family (the upper castle), history of this quarrel served Aleksander Fredro as a plot for The Revenge…


Ruins of the castle of the Kmita family on the Sobień mountain

... history of honorable Peter Kmita called Lunak...
... between Załuż and Monasterzec, on the hill densely covered with plants, there are the ruins of the Mediaeval Sobień castle…
… the castle was built in the 14th century during the reign of king Casimir the Great, the one who “left Poland in brick…”…


Ruins of the castle of the Węgierka

... history of the Pruchnicki and Pieniążek families...
... next to Pruchnik there is a grand, cylindrical defensive bastion. It is a remnant of the bastile castle (the 16th-17th century)…
… the Pieniążek family gave the castle its defensive character, and the residence remained in their hands until the beginning of the 18th century…

… the castle burnt and was not rebuilt any more…

Worked out był Bohdan Zhukiewicz
translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz
photos (bo, ordynat, kryzk, mk, zakapior)

Read More...



Castles of Volyn...
By Pogranicze Galicja
Published: 25.03.2010

Lutsk (Łuck)
Луцьк, Łućk - Luceoria
 -
a
lready in the early Middle Ages in the place of the  present Lutsk there was a Slavic town of the Dulebs’ tribe also called the Luczans. The name of the town was supposed to be derived from them but, according to other hypothesis, it comes from a word bow (Polish łuk) or Luka (Polish) referring to a meander of a river and riverside meadows surrounding the town...
   In 1073 Lutsk started to belong to the Vladimir Kingdom. In 1083 Lithuanians and Yotvingians attacked the town...
   In 1321 Gediminas attacked Lutsk and placed there his starost...

Ostroh (Ostróg) Острог
Rody; Ostrogskih, Zasławskih, Wiśniowieckih, Sanguszków, Jabłonowskih, Dubieńskih
 - from the beginning of the 15th century a town and  a castle by the Wilia River were the capital of the sovereign dukes of Russ - the Ostrogski family, in the 16th century they were the centre of the powerful latifundium - one of the biggest in Rzeczpospolita. At the turn of the 16th and 17th century, Ostroh was the centre of the cultural life in Volyn...
Not much remained of the former “magnitude.”...


Dubno
- located on a low headland, surrounded by rivers’ backwaters  on the Ikwa River (basin of the Pripyat River) made famous by Słowacki. Together with Ostroh, Kremenets and Pochaiv it constitutes the most attractive region of Volyn...
   In the 11th century, Dubno belonged to the Rurikovich family...
   It is one of the oldest and the most interesting towns of Volyn. The first mention comes from The Ipatov Chronicle. It informs that in 1099, by a decision of the dukes of Rus, the town on the Ikwa River was given to the duke David Igorovitch. During the great invasion of Mongols in 1240-41 it was probably destroyed...
   In the 13th century the town belonged to the Kingdom of Galicia-Vladimir, and since 1340 - to Latvia. From the half of the 14th century a strong Polish garrison was stationing there...


Kremenets (Krzemieniec)
A royal castle and town.
- Kremenets is located in the valley among the hills called the  Kremenets Mountains. Due to these hills, the region seems
to be typical rather for the neighboring Podolia. This picturesque region was formerly called the Volhynian Switzerland...
   The place administratively belongs to the Ternopil Oblast. Certainly, it is the only Volhynian town present in the awareness of each generation of Poles due to Juliusz Słowacki. It is one of the most frequently visited tourist spots in Volyn...
   Unfortunately, it also attracts thieves. That is why one should avoid picking up casual guides to the car, especially when driving up the Bona Mountain...

Bohdan Zhukiewicz
translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz
photos Janusz Kurasz, Mieczysław Kowal, Antoni Hadała, Jurek Jaremczuk, Jurek Owczaruk, (zakapior)

Read More...



Castles of the Podkarpacie Region /1
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.02.2010

Royal castles, lordly palaces full of splendor, Old Polish manor - houses, hidden among aged parks, and majestic ruins of the former seats - all this may be seen while travelling through the picturesque corners of the PODKARPACIE Region.
... come, see, comment...
visit:
http://pogranicze.eu/pl/gallery/
http://eu.pogranicze.eu/index.php?categoryid=17

Baranów Sandomierski
The history of the generations – Leszczyński, Wiśniowiecki, Sanguszko, Lubomirski,  Małachowski, Potocki, Krasicki and Dolański…
... the castle in Baranów, the old seat of the Leszczyński family, is an impressive example of the Renaissance architecture, one of the best preserved ones in Europe
… a beautiful park...
visit:

http://eu.pogranicze.eu/index.php?categoryid=17&p2_articleid=147

Photo Paweł Rut

Przecław

...
Ligęza, Koniecpolski, Tarnowski, Rey...
... localization of Przecław probably falls on the times of Bolesław the Chaste…
... the manor was in the hands of the Ligęza family till 1548...
... in the  17th century Przecław was bought by the Tarnowski family, who after 20 years sold it to Władysław Rey...

Photo Paweł Rut

Łańcut
... Pilecki, Stadnicki, Lubomirski, Potocki...
... the castle in Łańcut is one of the most beautiful, the best preserved and the most frequently visited castles…
... it was classified to the group of international monuments...
...
Stanisław Lubomirski
, whose wife was Izabela Czartoryska...
visit:
http://eu.pogranicze.eu/index.php?categoryid=17&p2_articleid=182
http://eu.pogranicze.eu/index.php?categoryid=17&p2_articleid=64


Lesko

... the history of the family - ... Kmita "fief of Sobieńsk"... and Stadnicki...
… at the turn of the 14th and 15th centuries, Lesko with the broad goods was bestowed to the Kmita family from Wiśnicz, Szreniawa coat of arms, by king Vladislaus Jagiełło…
... Lesko was one of many villages belonging to the Kmita family...



Krasiczyn
...
Krasicki, Modrzewski, Wojakowski, Tarło, Potocki, Piniński, Sapiecha...
... the castle in Krasiczyn,  one of the most beautiful treasures of Renaissance - Mannerist architecture, it belongs to the most beautiful castles in Europe...
... the fact that Sigismund III Vasa, Władysław IV, John Casimir and Augustus II visited the castle speaks about the castle’s past…
visit:

http://eu.pogranicze.eu/index.php?categoryid=17&p2_articleid=148

worked out by Zakapior
translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz
photos
(Paweł Rut, Jan, bo, ordynat, mk, zakapior)

Read More...



Castles in the region of Kresy end Podolia...
By Pogranicze Galicja
Published: 25.06.2009

Kamienets Podilskyi (Kamieniec Podolski)

    "On rocky slopes, as if growing from them, there are powerful walls and towers of an old town, in which nature and architects’ talent created a unique view, where a church and a Turkish minaret, a town hall and an Orthodox church stand next to each other, where each stone preserves in itself the voices of history”…
… A chronicle attributes the creation of the stone fortress to the Lithuanian dukes Koriatowicz, who reigned in the duchy in 60s-90s of the 14th century…
   A high, rocky bank of the Smotrych River
, a picturesque landscape, powerful towers with mysterious Latin inscriptions...

Khotyn (Chocim)

    Situated on a crossing of trade routes, Khotyn has always attracted the invaders’ attention.
… in order to protect Khotyn from the invaders, a fortress which survived centuries and which saw under its walls the army of the Ottoman Empire, insurgents of Mucha, national avengers of Detyna, warriors of Dmytro Vyshnevetsky, and Petro Doroshenko was built…
… Khotyn attracts tourists from all over the world; it is one of the oldest towns in Kresy, which not long ago celebrated its 1000th anniversary. At the beginning of the 11th century, Prince Vladimir I of Kiev
created a system of border fortifications on the West and South of the new state, including Khotyn…
Aleksander Mishuk

Holy Trinity Trenches (Okopy Trójcy Świętej)


   
On a long, rocky promontory near the mouth of the Zbruch River to the Dniester River, on a South-East edge of Galicia, and on the westernmost extent point of Tarnopol Voivodeship in the period of the Second Rzeczpospolita, there are ruins of the fortress from the 17th century, which became famous due to the colorful descriptions in The Un-Divine Comedy by Zygmunt Krasiński. It was there, in a literary vision of Krasiński, on the Holy Trinity Trenches, that aristocrats defended themselves from revolutionists, and the place became a symbol of the Polish conservatism and traditionalism.
   Since 1672, Kamianets Podilskyi, the impregnable fortress, was in the Turkish hands. In the same year, King Michael Korybut Wiśniowiecki signed a disgraceful treaty in Buchach, giving the region of Podolia to the Turks.
Worked out by Bohdan Zhukiewicz
translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz
Photos Aleksander Mishuk, Mieczysław Kowal, Janusz Kurasz, Jurek Jaremczuk, (zakapior)

Read More...



The Southern Castles
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.05.2009

“Dunajec” castle in Niedzica

   In 1412 in the castle in Niedzica situated within the Hungarian border, Ladislaus Jagiello’s delegation paid the  Hungary 37 threescore of Prague pennies, in deposit 13 Spiš towns including Niedzica itself...
   In 1425 the castle belonged to a descendant of John Berzeviczy, Peter Schwarz from Łomnica, and after that time, it went into the hands of his son, John Schwarz. Berzeviczy’s castle must have been a strong fortress because in the 30’s of the 15th century the Hussites destroyed the neighboring area, but they even did not try to attack the fortress in Niedzica. In 1463 John pledged the castle to Emeryk Zápolya, who took it over permanently after a childless death of Berzeviczy...

Ruins of “Wronin” castle in Czorsztyn

   In the 14th century on a high rocky hill by the Dunajec River there was a watch tower in which Bolesław the Chaste with  his wife Kinga found a shelter while escaping the Tatars’ invasion. At the turn of the 13th century in the Northern part of the foundation, a detached round tower was erected on the rock. Not long after that, probably around 1350, Casimir the Great, striving for safety of the border with Hungary, erected a brick castle. In the following centuries the castle was a centre of the king’s authority and a seat of starosts appointed for life…

   Zawisza the Black had his seat there when he took up the Spiš County
Zhukiewicz Bohdan
translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz
photos granted by Antoni Hadała, Piotr Hadała, (vico, bo, zakapior)

Read More...



« PreviousNext »
History... photo...

Kamianets-Podilskyi - (photo zakapior)

Info