Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Articles
Roztocze - the Trail...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.04.2013


photo (zakapior)
* Radruż - 16th century
    In this scenic village located near the Polish-Ukrainian border, the most beautiful and valuable Orthodox church complex in Poland is found. Standing between lime trees the wooden Orthodox church of St. Parascheva build in 1583 is the oldest historical monument of such type in Poland. It has a typical structure of interlocked fir and oak logs erected on an elongated layout dividing the building into three main parts, which is an arrangement characteristic to Ukrainian Orthodox churches. The largest part is the right nave, towered by a  four-wall dome built using notched joints. In 1648, the interiors were decorated with polychrome, which together with panel icons comprised an original iconostasis. Next to the church, there is a large wooden bell tower and a brick fortified house of the cleric. The entire complex is surrounded by a stone wall. On a nearby hill, there is a historical cemetery with characteristic limestone crosses, which were made in stonemason workshops operated until World War II in the nearby village of Stare Bruśno.
   After the relocation of Ukrainian Geek Catholic citizens in 1947, the church ceased to play its liturgical function and no service is now provided there. It currently has a role of a museum with a local atmosphere.
Zakapior, Bohdan Zhukiewicz
translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz


 * Borchów - 1781
* Cewków - 1840
* Chotylub - 1888
* Gorajec - 1586
* Kowalówka - 18th

* Nowe Brusno - 1676
* Stare Oleszyce - 1787
* Tomaszów Lubelski - 1627 - Church Roman-Catholic
* Tarnogród - 1600 - Church Roman-Catholic

Read More...



Pogórze Przemyskie - the Trail...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.03.2013


photo (zakapior)
* Chotyniec
- 1600
    The Greek Orthodox church under the invocation of the Birth of the Most Blessed Virgin Mary which was erected in approximately 1600. Initially, it may have been or even three cupolas. Above the "babiniec" (a church vestibule where women beggars used to sit and beg), the chapel under the invocation of  the Annunciation with exterior galleries could be found. This Orthodox church underwent a number of renovation and substantial remodeling in the years including 1733, 1858 and 1925. The icons ornamental polychromes from 1735 and 1772, and iconostas, the dating of which is given as approximately 1671, have been well-preserved within its interiors. Complete renovation of the structure was carried through in the years 1991-1992.
Zakapior
translated by JustynaB


*
Kruhel Wielki - Przemyśl - 1630
 * Medyka - 1607 - Parish Church
* Leszno - 1737
* Kuźmina - 1814
* Roztoka - 1822
* Wojtkowa - 1910
*
Liskowate - 1832

Read More...



Bieszczady - the San Valley Route
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 20.02.2013

* Beniowa



photo Jan, (zakapior, bo)
* Smolnik - 1791
    The Unit church under the invocation of St Michelangelo which was erected in 1791 (a Roman Catholic
church since 1973). The church, following its dereliction in 1951, was restored to its original state in 1961.
    Inside, its figural polychromes from the late 18th century has been preserved. This structure is one of the very few preserved exemplifications of threefold coupled Orthodox churches in the area of south-cast Poland, characteristic of Bojkowie country, "destroyed" throughout this region after 1947.
Zakapior
translated by JB

* Chmiel - 1904


* Lutowiska

Read More...



Bieszczady
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 20.01.2013



* Ustianowa Górna - 1792

* Równia - 1792
 * Hoszowczyk
* Krościenko
* Brzegi Dolne
* Jałowe
* Hoszów
* Rabe - 1858
* Żłobek - 1858
* Czarna - 1834
* Bystre - 1902
* Michniowiec - 1863-1868


* Równia - the Uniat church 17th century
 The unit church under the invocation of the Pokrow of the Most Blessed Virgin Mary (a Roman Catholic church since 1976) which was most presumably erected in the early 18" century, renovated in 1792, the 19" century and 1975. The unit church was abandoned in 1951. This structure is one of the very few preserved exemplifications of threefold copulated unit churches in the area of south-cast Poland.
Zakapior
translated by JR

photo (bo, zakapior)

Read More...



Komańcza - the Osława's Valley Route
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.01.2013

Komańcza


   The former Unit church under the invocation of Our Lady which was erected in 1802; at present an Orthodox daughter-church. A gate-belfry was  built in 1834, and this was followed by the addition of a sacristy in 1836. It has been renovated extensively. The iconostas dating from 1832 has been retained of its earlier furnishings and decorations. A very characteristic feature is its location at the extension of the sanctuary on the axis along the church. The Unit church in Komańcza along with its belfry are typical exemplifications of the East Łemkowie (so-called "Osławski") sacral architecture.


photo Antoni Hadała

Read More...



Bieszczady - the Osława's Valley Route
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 20.12.2012


* Turzańsk - 1801-1803

    The wooden Orthodox Church filial church of St Michael Archangel. Before the war it used to function as the Greek Catholic parish. The church concerned as one of the most beautiful churches in Poland was built in 1801 - 1803. Two sacristies added on the northern and southern sides of the chancel and the extremely tall detached tower-belfry regarded as the tallest detached belfry in the Polish Carpathians are the characteristic elements of the church. The tower was built in 1817. Inside of the church is located precious iconostasis dated from the first half of the 19thc. The late baroque side altars are dated back to the same period.


 *
 Morochów - 1402
* Szczawne - 1888-1889
* 
Rzepedź - 1842
* Wisłok Wielki - 1850-1854
* Radoszyce

Zakapior
translated by JB

photo Antoni Hadała, Paweł Rut, Bohdan Zhukiewiz, (bo, zakapior)

Bieszczady - church a Roman Catholic,
The Hoczew Valley Route,
* Średnia Wieś

photo (zakapior)

Read More...



... the Ecumenical Culture Centre /ECC/...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 20.06.2012

UNITY WITHIN DIVERSITY

   The area comprising the south - eastern region of Poland (with parts of the Małopolskie and Podkarpackie provinces), the north - eastern region of the Slovakian Carpathians and part of Ukraine, has long fascinated people with its mosaic culture typical of borderland areas. Here the Catholic Latin West met the Byzantine Orthodox East. This has always been an area of diverse ethnicities.



   The meeting of the two civilizations initially resulted in mutual isolation. It was particularly intense on religious ground, on account of reciprocal dislike of the western and eastern churches. This found reflection in clear differences in religious painting and architecture; Catholic churches were modeled after Roman basilicas (two - part structures with a single - or multi - aisle body and a presbytery), whereas religious architecture of Ruthenia was based on Byzantine tradition with its typical three - part layout.
   However, with time, and especially in the modern era, the two cultures started to blend, which left traces in the beautiful architecture of wooden churches of both rites. A typical for the Polish - Ukrainian frontier phenomenon of Latinization of Greek Catholic churches occurred and Latin churches started following eastern models.
   With the intense settlement in the highlands of Poland and Slovakia between the 14th and 17th centuries, and particularly in the 16th c., Orthodox Ruthenians and Wallachians appeared. That shepherd community later became settled, forming the well - known ethnographic groups of Lemkos and Boykos.
Worked out by Bohdan Zhukiewicz
translated by Justyna Rymarowicz
photo (zakapior)

Read More...



Podkarpacie N
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 20.03.2012

 * Cmolas - 1674
* Poręby Dymarskie - 1656-1660
* Krzeszów - 1727-1728
* Ulanów - 1643
* Ulanów - 1690

Read More...



Ethnographic regions... Kolbuszowa...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 20.02.2012

Bohdan Zhukiewicz (photo Paweł Rut, Bohdan Zhukiewicz, zakapior)
translated by Justyna Rymarowicz


Welcome to the Folk Museum in Kolbuszowa,

- is lovely situated on the edge of town of Kolbuszowa. Collected exhibits originate from the ancient Sandomierz Forest located in the fork of the  Vistula and San rivers, and from the river basin of the Wisłok which was inhabited by two ethnographic groups - Lasowiak people and Rzeszowiak people. About sixty large and small objects of rural wooden architecture are located in the area of 29 hectares, partly covered by wood. Apart from buildings, surrounded by gardens, the collection comprises equipment, tools and implements serving the householders in their work and everyday life. Among the most interesting buildings are: a group of wind-mills, the water-mill, the school and the country inn. The Museum is constantly enriched with new objects and articles of folklore increasing ethnographic and touristic value of the Ethnographic Park.

photo Paweł Rut

Read More...



Podkarpacie S
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 20.01.2012

 * Chłopice - 1761
* Kosina - 1737
* Krzemienica - 1750-1754
* Siennów - 1676

* Nowosielce - 1595
The parish church under the invocation of St Maria Magdalena which was built in 1595. The structure, surrounded by  a fortification system, served the purpose of a bastion, successfully strengthening against the Tatar invasion of 1624. Its tower was most presumably erected in the 18" century. Renovated in the years including 1871-1877, 1903 and 1983-1985. The tower basement was reconstructed by removing a part of its concrete floor and appending a stone vestibule with counter forts en its quoins. The church was still erected in the Gothic tradition strong and pervading especially in the area of southern Poland.
Zakapior
translated by JB

photo (zakapior)

Read More...



Next »
... photo...

Piątkowa - photo Wiesław Gargała

Info




The wooden architecture route in Podkarpacie


Of Folk Architecture Museum in Sanok



Zyndranowa


Kolbuszowa
Park Etnograficzny
skansen