Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Articles
Lutcza - Domaradz - Czerteż - Krosno the Trail...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 05.07.2019

The Uniat church Bonarówka

photo (bo)
   The Unit church under the invocation of the Most Blessed  Virgin Mary from the first half of the 17" century; at present a daughter-church of the Roman Catholic parish in Żyznów. It was initially a deiform and tri-cupola Orthodox, church, but was completely reconstructed in 1841. A tower screening the "babiniec" (a church vestibule where women beggars used to sit and beg) was added on to the nave in the very late 19"century.

Domaradz

photo (zakapior)
   The parish church under the invocation of St Nicholas which  was presumably erected in the second half of the 15" century. It was renovated and reshaped a vast number of times, counting the 17" century (including the tower extension) and the 18" century. The church underwent significant changes and reconstruction in 1878 (a nave was extended, and inside, its frame was divided into three naves), and a relatively short time afterwards, in 1906 (a turret a transept spire was erected and vestibules were joined on). It was adorned with polychrome murals in 1887. It is one of the oldest churches in Poland.

Humniska
   The parish church under the invocation of St Stanislaus the  Bishop which was erected in the 15" century; renovated extensively. It was reconstructed in the years 1898-1900 (the naves were extended, the northern chapel and the vestibules were built as additions, its roofs were rebuilt with partial preservation of the initial orchidaceous rafters). This church is an exemplification of one of the oldest preserved wooden churches in Poland, representing an exceptionally rare layout the nave frame is equal in width to the presbytery, with well-preserved relict of shallow transept annexes.

Jurowce
   The former Unit parish church under the invocation of St
 George (at present the Roman Catholic church under the invocation of St Peter and Paul) which was erected in 1873. It has a pillar framework. There is a belfry in the immediate vicinity of the church dating from 1905. A side-chapel was built on to the southern wall of the presbytery in 1924.

Czerteż


A complex parish tserkva of the Transfiguration of Christ, filial tserkva of the St Dmytro parish.

Orthodox Church of the Transfiguration in Czerteżu-wooden Greek-Catholic Church of the bojkowska, one of the few churches of this type in Polish.

Was built in 1742.
- existed already in the 15th century, after the Union of Brest has become converted to the pastoral service. Greek Catholic Church p.w. Transfiguration parish, was built in the year 1742, renovated in 1836. (replaced the dome over the babińcem and the chancel roof kalenicowym gable and barrel vaults was executed). Design oriented log, with ostatkami, shingle, placed on a stone Foundation. The nave is surmounted by a cebulasta, ośmiodzielna dome on an octagonal drum, topped by an apparent Lantern. Inside the two side altars of art and paintings depicting the Saint. Olga and St. Włodzimierz. Before the Temple Bell Tower, a wooden, Otwock County location boards, covered with shingles. Tented roof surmounted by a seeming lighthouse, built in 1887.
Orthodox Church in Czerteżu is a typical Church bojkowską, wood, tripartite, indoor shingle, with a single nave. It has one baniastą Dome in the past three, similar to that used in the Orthodox Church of the lemko. In the immediate vicinity of the Church extends to the historic Greek Catholic cemetery.



   The tserkva complex in Czerteż constitutes an integral element of the landscape. This historic complex is distinctive for its high aesthetic values. The tserkva is an excellent example of durability of traditional canon/scheme of a wooden tripartite tserkva. The reconstruction carried out in the 19th century bestowed this previously three-domed tserkva, erected in 1742, with a single-domed body, paradoxically typical for the 18th century and at the same time endowed it with noble, harmonious proportions. The tserkva belfry bears witness to the encroachment of construction traditions of the Boykos on areas from outside this cultural scope.



History
   The parish was mentioned already in 1448. The currently existing tserkva was erected in 1742 by efforts of a local priest, Jan Pacławski (the date is visible on the lintel of the portal leading to the narthex). In 1836 the building underwent restoration, during which the appearance of the initially three-domed tserkva changed to a great extent. Domes above the chancel and narthex were demolished and replaced with gable roofs. Inside, in the chancel and narthex (due to the elimination of domes) barrel vaults were introduced. It is possible that during that renovation a sacristy was added on the extension of the chancel to the east. In 1857 a belfry was added. Seńko Kita, a carpenter, was responsible for construction works (as we learn from an inscription carved on the portal inside the belfry). During the renovation in 1921 (other sources mention 1924) the west façade and skirt roofs were altered (among others, new rafter tails were installed and the inclination angle of roofs was changed) and the musical gallery was relocated from the nave to the narthex. In 1924 the wall painting was created, most probably, by Paweł Zaporożskij. Between 1946 and 1995 the tserkva was used by the Roman Catholic church. In 1967 the temple underwent a full-scale renovation (among others, windows were reconstructed to their original shape). In the 1980s a religious education house was erected in the area. The most recent restorations date back to 1998, 2009 and 2010. Currently, the temple serves the Greek Catholic community again.



Description
   The complex is situated on an elevation in the eastern part of the village. The tserkva area is circumscribed by a new, wooden fence with a gate in the north-west. An oriented tserkva is located in the central point of the complex. Nearby, to the west of the tserkva, there is a wooden belfry; a new religious  education house is located to the north. Several old gravestones have survived in the tserkva surroundings. North of the tserkva, outside the fenced area, there is a cemetery. The tserkva complex consists of a tserkva and a belfry (inscribed into the register of monuments) and remains of a cemetery. The church was built using wooden logs. It is a tripartite structure with a spacious nave on the square floor plan and half as wide narthex and chancel added to the nave - both set on a floor plan approximating that of a square as well. A rectangular sacristy, equal in width to the chancel, is added to the extension of the chancel. The tserkva’s body is compact with a pronounced, vertical and dominating middle part housing a nave. This part is nearly twice as high as other main segments of the structure. It is crowned with an octagonal tholobate covered with an eight-field, onion-like dome with a blind lantern. The narthex and chancel (including the sacristy not standing out as a separate element) are covered with gable roofs. Slightly below these roofs, the entire tserkva is circumscribed by a skirt roof resting on rafter tails, i.e. gradually extending logs. Walls and roof covers above the skirt roof are fully clad with wood shingles, while the log structure is left exposed below. Door and window openings are rectangular. A lintel of the portal leading to the narthex includes a carved inscription in Cyrillic stating the construction date of the tserkva. Inside, the narthex opens up into the nave at its entire width and height. A clearance between the nave and the chancel is rectangular and devoid of iconostasis. Above the tholobate, the nave contains a beamed ceiling. The chancel and narthex feature barrel vaults, while in the sacristy the ceiling is flat. On the west side of the narthex, there is a choir gallery, supported by two posts. The interior includes residues of wall paintings. The historic equipment of the tserkva includes a holy table from the early 20th century, two side altars from the mid 18th century and an altar in the sacristy. The iconostasis is stored at the Folk Architecture Museum in Sanok.



   A wooden, free-standing belfry, set on a square floor plan, is located along the tserkva’s axis on the western side. It consists of two storeys with vertical weatherboarding of a different structure: log structure on the lower floor, post-and-frame structure on the upper. The lower storey includes two rectangular door openings with a pass-through passage; the upper storey features small bell openings. The storeys are partitioned by a wood-shingle skirt roof. The bell tower is covered with a tented roof clad with wood shingles and crowned with a quadrangular lantern. Inside, there is a portal with carved rose windows, construction date and name of carpenter.


photo Wiesio Gargała, Bohdan Zhukiewicz

Jasienica Rosielna


   The parish church under the invocation of the Immaculate Conception of the Most Blessed Virgin Mary wchih was built in 1770, owing to the funds of Ignacy Załuski, a squire of Jasienica, and his wife Marianna from de Dębiński family. The interior was embellished with illusionistic polychromy by Jan Tabiński in 1870, which was repainted in 1930. This Late-Baroque temple of worship in one of the very few wooden churches with a twin-tower western facade to resemble brick archtecture.


photo (zakapior)

... photo...

Piątkowa - photo Wiesław Gargała

Info




The wooden architecture route in Podkarpacie


Of Folk Architecture Museum in Sanok



Zyndranowa


Kolbuszowa
Park Etnograficzny
skansen