Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Articles
Roztocze - the Trail...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.04.2013

Borchów
   The former Greek-Catholic church of the Immaculate Conception was built in 1781. In the late 19th and early 2-th centuries the babinets was  raised and a choir was arranged in it. In 1924 a gallery was added to the babinets. After the Second World War the building stood disused until the late 1960s. From1971 onwards it performed the functions of a Roman-Catholic local chapel. In the 1980s and 1990s the church was thoroughly renovated. It represents a traditional layout with later modifications to its plan and silhouette.
Bohdan Zhukiewicz

Cewków
   The former Greek-Catholic church of St Dimitri was built in 1840. In the late19th and early 20th centuries the interior
walls of the new church were covered with paintings. After the Second World War it was taken over by the State Treasury and consequently left without proper care, which quickly led to its dilapidation. The church shows a late 19th-century phase in the development of sacred wooden architecture. The traditional layout was modified to make the interior more uniform an increase the role of the outermost rooms in the church's structure.
Bohdan Zhukiewicz

Chotylub
   The Greek-Catholic church of the Protection (Pokrov) of Our Lady was built (or altered) in 1888 (since 1947 the Roman- Catholic church of the
Protection of Our Lady). In the late 1960s and early 1970s it was renovated and in 1986 extended by adding the porch. Things surviving inside include the five-tiered iconostasis form the 17th / 18th centuries. The church has a traditional layout with later modification to the floor plan and silhouette.

Bohdan Zhukiewicz

Gorajec
   The former Greek-Catholic church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (since 1947 a Roman-Catholic chapel) was built in 1586. Initially, it  was a single-domed structure and, presumably, id hat a small belfry above the babinets. In 1816 a new sanctuary and in 1835 a new .-. were built. The church was substantially altered before 1903 (the nave was widened by adding two side branches open to it). Between 1992 and 2001 the church was thoroughly renovated (e.g. the nave walls were reconstructed). Inside particularly worth attention is the original painted iconostasis screen. The .-. bell tower (built in 1860) was brought from Majdan Sieniawski n 1994.
Bohdan Zhukiewicz


photo (zakapior)

Kowalówka
   The former Greek-Catholic church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary was built in the late 18th century. It was renovated in  1813 and between 1867 and 1868 (wall paintings). Between 1899 and 1900 the nave was altered by widening it through the addition of transept wings. Formed at that time, the church's layout and structure survive to date. After 1947 it was adopted to serve as the Roman-Catholic local church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Between 1867 and 1868 (wall paintings). Between 1899 and 1900 the nave was altered by widening it through the addition of transept wings. Formed at that time, the church's layout and structure survive to date. After 1947 it was adopted to serve as the Roman-Catholic local church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Bohdan Zhukiewicz

Nowe Brusno
   The former Greek-Catholic church of St. Martyr Paraskevia was built in the early 18th century. The date of the construction isn't definitely  known- the earliest suggestion refer to 1676, the latest one- to 1790. Only the date of renovation in 1903-1906 is stated in the documents. A lump of trigeminal temple, covered with three domes, women's gallery added in 1903. Originally, above the (babinets) there was a chapel with an arcade gallery outside. The building was surrounded by wide eaves and arcades (soboty). In 1873 a sacristy was added to the sanctuary and in 1903 the church silhouette was changed (the new babinets was built, the dome profile was changed and the eaves were removed). After 1947 the church was taken over by the State. In 1994 restoration work started. Currently it doesn't function.
Bohdan Zhukiewicz

Stare Oleszyce
   The former Greek-Catholic church of the Protection of Our Lady (since 1979 the Roman-Catholic church of the Sacred Heard) was built in 1787. It  was altered between 1878 and 1877 and in the 1920s. After 1947 it was taken over by the State. In 1971 it resumed its religious functions. Between 1978 and 1981 it was renovated and altered. A wooden bell tower, presumably built in the late 18th century, stands next to the church. In spite of substantial alterations, the church has preserved elements of traditional wooden Eastern- rite church architecture: the tripartite plan and the dominant nave covered with a block work dome.
Bohdan Zhukiewicz

photo (zakapior)

Tomaszów Lubelski
    A parish church founded by Tomasz Zamoyski in 1627 was raised next to the town’s shafts whose remnants are preserved to the East from the building. After its destruction at the beginning of the 18th century, the church was rebuilt in 1727 and it survived till today without any significant changes...
    T   he building is an example of Baroque architecture made in wood. A three-nave interior is covered with false vaults; two rows of chapels are open to the naves...
    A mannerist main altar from the first half of the 17th century probably comes from the first church. In the altar, there is a wonderful painting presenting Our Lady of the Scapular brought from the Trinitarian Church after their cassation in 1783. Initially, since 1652, the painting was in a wooden chapel under the invocation of St. Adalbert, situated in the suburb of Lvov, outside the city’s shafts, later it was brought to the Trinitarian Church. Today, there is a newly built (in 1994) St. Adalbert Chapel commemorating a secular cult of Our  Lady of the Scapular called Our Lady of Tomaszów. The equipment from the Trinitarian Church “in Piasek” raised after the treaty of Lvov from 1727 and demolished in 1817 also attracts the attention. Among others, these are stalls in presbytery and a confessional with a painted portrait. A belfry with a starling is characteristic for the Polish wooden architecture from the 17th and 18th centuries. In the proximity of the church, there is a group of tens of old lindens.
Zakapior

Tarnogród

Saint Roch's church
   It is a wooden church made of larch wood that was built outside the town by residents of Tarnogród around 1600. It is devoted to Saint Roch.
   The most interesting objects inside the church are: the early baroque altar, XVIII century baroque organ and granite holy-water basin.
   It is the oldest wooden church in Zamość province.
Zakapior

translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz
photo Bohdan Zhukiewicz (zakapior)

Radruż





polichromia 1648

photo (zakapior)

... photo...

Piątkowa - photo Wiesław Gargała

Info




The wooden architecture route in Podkarpacie


Of Folk Architecture Museum in Sanok



Zyndranowa


Kolbuszowa
Park Etnograficzny
skansen