Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Articles
Bieszczady
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.01.2017


Równia

photo (zakapior)

Ustianowa Górna

   The Unit church under the invocation of St Paraskeva which was erected in 1792 (the Roman Catholic church under the invocation of the Blessed Virgin Mary since 1951). It was restored and extended upon in 1892 (at which time the western vestibule was built on). The Polish - Soviet border ran through the village in the years 1945 - 1951. The earlier Unit church underwent thorough renovation in 1973.
Zakapior
translated by JR

Hoszowczyk

photo (zakapior)

Krościenko

photo (bo)

Jałowe

photo (bo)

Hoszów

phoo (zakapior)

St Nicholas Greek Catholic filial church, currently st. Bronislava's Roman Catholic church of the parish.
   The feature is one of the few examples of a late phase of Ukrainian Historicism (the so-called Ukrainian national style) among wooden tserkvas preserved in Poland. It drew inspiration from the single-dome Hutsul tserkva, popular from the 18th century mainly in the East Carpathians.

History
   The tserkva was erected in place of a former one, dated at 1770, which was demolished in 1939 (some studies inform us that the demolition of the old tserkva took place in 1928 and a temporary chapel was erected in return). Construction of a new tserkva began in the summer of 1939 to the design of Jarosław Fartuch, an architect based in Lvov. Cooperative for Engineering Works in Lvov performed the works. An incomplete tserkva was put to use in 1942 (during the Soviet occupation in the years 1939-1941 construction works were suspended). In September 1944 a German munitions warehouse was blown up close to the tserkva, therefore the explosion seriously disturbed the log structure of the side wall. In the years 1944-1951 the feature was located within the borders of Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic and probably in that period the provisional form of the tserkva was completed. After incorporation of Hoszów to Poland the tserkva was used by the local community as a sheepfold. In 1971 the partially ruined tserkva was taken over by a Roman Catholic parish in Jasień. A full-scale renovation was carried out in the years 1977-1978 (replacement of parts of the log structure, replacement of wood shingles with sheet metal, replacement of window and door woodwork, weatherboarding of the body). In 1968 the tserkva played in a movie titled “Wolves’ Echoes”, directed by A. Ścibor-Rylski.



Description
   The tserkva is oriented towards the east, situated on an elevation, on the eastern side of Ustrzyki Dolne-Ustrzyki Górne road. The area around the tserkva is picket-fenced. A contemporary, metal belfry is situated within the fenced area, in the north-eastern part of the tserkva cemetery.
   It is a wooden building, erected on an aligning, concrete foundation. All walls of the tserkva and the central dome, resting on a tholobate, have a log structure. The supporting beams have a decorative dovetail joint. Walls in the lower part of the feature terminate in protruding log ends giving way to rafter tails, which support a ceiling purlin of the skirt roof. Walls along the entire height, gables as well as log ends and rafter tails have vertical weatheboarding (initially, they were covered with horizontal weatherboards), whereas roofs, dome and gables are fully clad with galvanized sheet. Inside, bare walls expose the log structure of the feature.
   The tserkva was built on a Greek cross floor plan. Floor plans of the chancel, nave and narthex are similar to squares, while those of side annexes (transept arms) approximate the shape of a rectangle. The tserkva’s body is compact and a dome resting atop a tall, octagonal tholobate is a dominating feature. The tholobate is laid on an intersection of perpendicular saddle roofs with pediments, equal in height. The roof over a chancel terminating in a semi-hexagon has five slopes. Two sacristies (Prothesis and Diaconicon), symmetric to the building’s axis and covered with gable roofs, abut on the chancel. The dome is crowned with a tall, blind lantern topped with a slender capital. Analogically, four lanterns are laid on roof ridges of the chancel, narthex and side annexes. The entire tserkva is circumscribed by a skirt roof, whose course includes roofs of sacristies and a saddle roof on the front façade, resting on two pillars (an open porch). Windows terminate in semicircles, main entrance door as well as external and internal doors to sacristies terminate in a straight arch. The interior features a floor made of boards. The narthex is surmounted by an overhanging choir gallery. Due to the historically stormy period of tserkva construction, it was originally not equipped with an iconostasis and altars. Currently, it includes contemporary fittings created by a local sculptor.



Rabe
   The Uniat church under the invocation of St Nicholas (a Roman Catholic church since 1971) which was built in 1858. A brick belfry was erected in the immediate vicinity thereof. It was abandoned after 1951.
   Inside, the contemporary iconostas of the Unit church has been retained. It is one of the very few representatives of the classicist mainstream in wooden Unit church architecture.


Żłobek
   The Unit church under the invocation of the Birth of the Most
 Blessed Virgin Mary which was erected in 1830 (a Roman Catholic church since 19799). A sacristy was built on to it in 1855. It was abandoned after 1951, later becoming a Forestry warehouse. Complete renovation of this monument was carried through in 1977.

Michniowiec
   A Unit church complex. The Unit church under the invocation
 of the Birth of the Virgin Mary which was built in the years 1863 - 1868, at present (since 1971) a Roman Catholic church. The structure was renovated in 1924 (at which time the sacristy and vestibule were built on).The wooden belfry was erected in the immediate vicinity of the church in 1904. The temple in Michniowiec is an architectonically uniqe blend, both in respect of spatial layout and construction.

Bystre

Zakapior
translated by JR
photo (bo, \akapior)

... photo...

Piątkowa - photo Wiesław Gargała

Info




The wooden architecture route in Podkarpacie


Of Folk Architecture Museum in Sanok



Zyndranowa


Kolbuszowa
Park Etnograficzny
skansen