Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
TOURISM from Lvov...
Articles
Lvov illuminated by Heavens
By Pogranicze Galicja
Published: 10.03.2014



http://ua.pogranicze.eu/index.php?categoryid=35

"High Castle" hill with an observation area.

   A serpentine road to the top from where the whole the Lvov is visible. The castle itself did not survive as it gradually lost its protection significance. In 1701, the fortress was easily seized and destroyed by Swedish troops of Karl XII. After that, the castle was never restored. The high barrow was created in 1869-1900 in honors of the Union of Lublin. Its height is 413 meters' above the sea level. Later the observation area was created there.

*The center, the market Square.
*Polish Catholic Church of Jesuits,
- the Church of St. Peter and Paul (1610-1636).
*The Solomiya Krushelnytska National Academic Opera and Ballet Theatre.
*The Church of Assumption.
*The Italian Courtyard.
*The Church of Transfiguration (1875-1898).
*The Town Arsenal.
*St. Andrews Church.
*Monument to Adam Mickiewicz.
*The Fountain (Well) of the Virgin Mary.

*The Church of the Holy Eucharist,
- former Dominican Church.


Aleksander Borovkov, Bohdan Zhukiewicz
photo (sasza, bo, zakapior)

Read More...



Lvov, Chernecha Gora, 1 - work hours: 10 am - 6 pm.
By Galicja Pogranicze
Published: 10.12.2013


Bojkowszczyzna, cerkiew z 1863 roku. Tysowec, wieś w obwodzie lwowskim,

http://ua.pogranicze.eu/index.php?categoryid=35

   Museum of Folk Architecture and Rural Life, situated near by Vysokyi Zamok (High Castle) in beautiful park - Shevchenkivsy Gai on North-East part of the Lvov city.
  
The museum have been created by the ethnographic principle in 1971. Main aim of the museum is conservation of the wooden folk architecture, everyday life artifacts, art artifacts from all ethnographic zones. Every zone consist different objects - buildings, practical and manufactory buildings from last three centuries. The museum is one of the biggest open-air museum in Europe nowadays. Every object consist special and authentic interiors and it gives full imagination of daily life, work and leisure of the Western Ukrainian village.

   The museum consist 105 of folk architecture objects. Among them presented oldest church from Kruvka village (1749), other objects buildings from 1792, 1812, 1846, 1860, as well as wind mill, oil manufactory, pottery.

Podole, cerkiew z 1822 roku. Stoynów, wieś w obwodzie lwowskim,

Olek Gvozdewych, Bohdan Zhukiewicz
photo Sasza, Zakapior, Museum of Folk

Read More...



The Old Lvov...
By Galicja Pogranicze
Published: 10.12.2012

Situated just like Rome on seven hills, among the woods, in the valley of the Poltva River, Lvov was always noted for both an advantageous strategic position and an exceptionally beautiful landscape.

    Once a powerful prince of Halychyna - Volyn Principality Danylo Halytsky traveled through these parts. He stopped here for a moment and realized that he would stay here forever. Burgomaster Bartlomiej Zimorowic, the most distinguished chronicler of Lvov, described this event in the following words: “Seeing at the very border of his domain a hill which was advantageous in military terms, protected down below by a circle of forest-covered valleys and the very steepness which could hold the enemy back, he immediately ordered that a fortress be built here and decided to move his residence to this place”. The High Castle was to be guarded by a large military unit which would protect the treasures stored there.  

*The Rulers of Lvov
*The current building of the Lvov City Hall
*The Gunpowder Tower of 1554-1556
*The George Hotel
*Architectural gems of Austrian Lvov
*The Black Stone House (1588)
- is a unique monument of Renaissance architecture and is probably not comparable to any other building in the whole of Europe.


Aleksander Borovkov, Bohdan Zhukiewicz
photo (sasza, bo, zakapior)

Read More...



Park
By Galicja Pogranicze
Published: 10.11.2011

Bohdan Zhukiewicz
photo (Jurek Jaremczuk, sasza, bo, zakapior)


The Stryiskyi Park

Stryiska Street
- one of the oldest and most beautiful parks of Lvov, a monument of the landscape architecture of the national significance is located in the Sofivka neighborhood of Halytskyi District.
    The design of the park in the woodland park area was developed by an experienced gardener, Arnold Rering in 1876-1877. In 1879, the first arrangements were made, an old Stryiskyi Cemetery was liquidate and a hornbeam alley with an artificial lake was planted in its place. The valley remains the most well-ordered area. The main entrance was built in the form of a Corinthian order arch with five passes (architect H. Shvetskyi-Vinetskyi, 1952). There is a willow in front of the swan pond woth the nymph sculpture (sculptor Y. Motyka). The tree was planted in the Kazakh steps by Taras Shevchenko and was brought to the park in 1961. A glazed green house (1895) with tropical plants. Many species (over 260) of decorative plants grow here including ginkgo (from the age of the dinosaurs), tulip tree, Douglas haw, pagoda tree, treelike peony, Amur lilac.
    Hornbeam, plane, lime and other alleys completed the park ensemble. Pavilions built for the exhibition of 1894 have been preserved and adjusted for the use as sports facilities and a decorative tower has been adjusted and used as a restaurant since 1976. Houses in Parkova Street.

Read More...



Armenian Catholic
By Galicja Pogranicze
Published: 10.01.2011

The Armenian Cathedral
- of the Assumption of the Holy. The church was built in 1356-1363 by Doring (Dorko).

    It was built after the pattern of a cathedral in the capital of Armenia, Ani, a cross-domed four column, three nave church. The church is made of stone and stone slabs with a slab ceiling covered with sheet metal now. The church was surrounded from three sides by arcade galleries (par vises) built in 1437. The southern one was bricked up in 1671 to enlarge the main scope of the church. Only the northern par vise has been preserved.
   The bell tower was built in 1571 according to a design of Petro Krasowski from Lugano. The tower borders upon a palace of the Armenian archbishops(17th-18th cc). The head of the Armenian coyrt, Christofor Avhustynovych restored the church in 1723. In honour of that, a column with a sculptural figure of Christofor was installed in the yard in 1726.
   There are two small yards beside the church. The southern one is an old cemetery. The interior contains an epitaph of Patriarch of Armenia, Stefan V who died in Lvov in 1551. The grave stone is the oldest relief. Everything that has been preserved in the church's territory and the bulding itself constitute a unique corner of the eastern culture in Lvov.
    The oldest paintings of the 14th-15th cc. have been preserved on the window scansions (discovered during the restoration of 1908-1920. Later, a painter, Jan Rosen (1925-1929) created a cycle of painted scenes in modern.
   The restoration of the church was carried out in 1908-1920. Mosaic was added to the dome according to a project of J. Mehoffer, j. Rosen, painted the walls in modern in 1925-1929. The bell tower was built in 1571 according to a design of Petro Krasowski from Lugano.
   The Armenian Archbishops Palace.
   The column in the courtyard was installed in honors of the restoration of the church in 1723 by the head of the Armenian court, Christopher. It contains the figure of Christopher (1726).
Aleksander Borovkov
photo (Jurek Jaremczuk, sasza, bo, zakapior)

Read More...



Roman Catholic
By Galicja Pogranicze
Published: 10.12.2010

The Latin Cathedral
-
presents a grand monument of the 14-18th centuries which harmoniously combines the architectural features of past epochs: Gothic, Renaissance, and Baroque.
The Minster... “Assumption of Mary“ in Lvov
 - was building during two centuries. Polish king Kaziemierz The
Great created the substructure of the building in 1360 – 68. The Bishop of Przemyśl consecrated the church in 1405, and later in 1481 the Archbishop of Lvov Jan Strzelecki consecrated it again. In those days the Cathedral had a characteristic gothic shape with three naves. In 1761-1776 the Archbishop of Lvov Wacław Sierakowski rebuilt it and made it more baroque. In the end of 19 century Józef Mehoffer and Stanisław Batowski created a glorious stained glasses, which are the one of the greatest attractions for visitors till today. The Minster contains 8 chapels, however the renaissance Chapel of Kampiany is known as the most beautiful. The walls and the arches are covered by Stanisław Stroiński’s frescos. All of them present various aspects of Blessed Virgin Mary.

The Palace of Roman Catholic Archbishops
- is a monument of Classicism dating back to the first half of the 19th century.

    The palace was designed by architect Johann Saltzman – the builder of Maria Zankovetska Theatre in Lvov – and constructed in 1844. In 1886 it was rebuilt in the style of late Classicism. During the interwar period it housed the museum of Długosz Diocese founded by Archbishop Bilchevsky.
Bohdan Zhukiewicz
photo KG, Jurek Jaremczuk, (sasza, bo, zakapior)

Kampians Chapel (renaissance).
The Boims Chapel (1609-1615).

Read More...



Greek Catholic
By Galicja Pogranicze
Published: 10.11.2010

The Greek Catholic St. George Cathedral Church,
of St. Jura (1744-1761).
    Architect B. Meretyn (321 m above the sea level).
   The portal with statues of metropolitans Atanasiy and Lev by G. Pinzel.
   The attic is completed with the composition... -George the Dragon slayer-... (G. Pinzel).
   The stairs are decorated with the figures of genie (sculptor S. Stazhevskyi).
   The station main nave, the iconostasis (sculptor S. Fesinher). Te altars icons ware painted by J. Radyvylovskyi and L. Volynskyi.
   The underground crypt with the sarcophagi of cardinal S. Sembratovych, metropolitan A. Sheptytskyi, patriarch Y. Slipyi, metropolitan V. Sternyuk.

The Palace of Greek Catholic Archbishops
- is a building constructed in mid-18th century in Rococo style with elements of Classicism.

    The palace designed by architect Clemens Xaver Fesinger was erected in 1762 and reconstructed in 1772. In 1775-1776 sculptor I. Shchurovsky and artists S. Uhlytsky and S. Hradolevsky worked on the interior decorations under the supervision of architect F. Kulchytsky. Murals by these artists have survived in the interior till present time.
Olek Gvozdewych
photo (Jurek Jaremczuk, sasza, bo, zakapior)

Read More...



Churches...
By Galicja Pogranicze
Published: 10.10.2010

The Baroque Church of St. Anthony built in 1718,
- represents a harmonious combination of architecture, sculpture, and nature.

    The work of the human hand combined with nature have composed a perfect artistic image in this monument. From amongst the ancient trees the steep silhouette of the church bursts forever upward.

The Monastery Complex of the Discalced Carmelites
- at 22 Vynnychenka Street, today the Greek Catholic Monastery of the Studite Order and Church of the Archangel Michael, is a religious building of the 17-19th centuries designed in the Baroque style with elements of Classicism.

    On a picturesque tree-lined hill across from the Gunpowder Tower rises the Church of the Archangel Michael. Steep stone stairs lead up from Vynnychenka Street to the church.

The Church and Convent of the Benedictines
- (today the Greek Catholic All Saints Church of the Convent of the Protection of the Holy Virgin) was built at the end of the 16th century.
    The nunnery complex at the foot of Castle Hill resembles a fortress.

   The Benedictine Convent was founded by three sisters who were nuns, daughters of rich nobleman Adam Saporowski. The church was built at the end of the 16th century by the famous Lvov architect Paul of Rome in late Renaissance style. At the beginning of the 17th century the convent was rebuilt, thick walls separating it from secular life.

The Church of St. Lazarus
- at 27 Kopernika Street was built on a hill adjoining a monastery and a hospital in the first half of the 17th century. It is a Baroque monument with some elements of the Renaissance.

    Designed by Lvov architect Ambrosius Prykhylny, the St. Lazarus Church and Hospital were built on a hill on the outskirts of the city in 1630-1640. This building appeared at a time when the Baroque style was popular, however, its constructors remained faithful to the art of the Renaissance.

The Greek Catholic Church and Brazilian Monastery of Saint Onuphrius
- (36 Bohdana Khmelnytskoho Street), a monument of the 16-19th centuries, holds a significant place in Ukrainian history and culture.
    The St. Onuphrius Monastery is one of the oldest sanctuaries in the city; it functioned as early as the 13th century during the time of Lev, Prince of Halychyna. According to legend, the monastery owned an icon of the Virgin Mary which had been painted by St. Luke the Evangelist on a cypress panel.

The Our Lady of the Sign Church of the Discalced Carmelite Nuns
- is one of the most beautiful monuments of the Lvov Baroque of the first half of the 17th century.

   The square in front of the church, situated on one of the hills of Lv0v, opens onto panorama of the city. The church of the Carmelite Order, similarly to the Jesuit Church in Lvov, resembles the Church of the Gesù in Rome designed by Italian architect da Vignola.

The Holy Trinity Church in Sykhiv
- is the only wooden church in Lvov which has survived from the 17th century.

   The wooden Church of the Holy Trinity was built long ago, when in 1654 the army of Ukrainian Hetman Bohdan Khmelnitsky was approaching the  city. Some historians assume that the Hetman himself supported the construction of the church. An example of Ukrainian sacred architecture of the 17th century, the church in Sykhiv is one of few in Western Ukraine to be famous for its wall-paintings.
   The church wall-paintings date back to 1683. The floral pattern incorporates the images of three military saints: Theodore of Tyrone, George, and
Demetrius. Such a collection of saints reflects the heroic times when the wall-paintings were created. The warriors wear amour and hold spears and shields in their hands. The church interior is also adorned with many other wall-paintings depicting events from the Gospel.
Olek Gvozdewych, Myroslav Podolskyy
photo
Aleksander Borovkov, Zakapior
(jurek, zakapior)

Read More...



Old Churches...
By Galicja Pogranicze
Published: 10.09.2010

The Church of the Holy Fridays
77, B. Khmelnytskoho Street
   The church is traditionally called the church of St. Paraskeva Piatnytsia (Friday) (the patron saint of the Moldovan Ruler, Vasyl Lupul, who was ally and father of the daughter-in-law of B. Khmelnitsky).
    The original church was built in the 13th c. It was rebuilt in 1624 after the fire of 1623. The original church is depicted in the church icon of St. Paraskeva Piatnytsia as a gothic fortified structure with a tower over the entrance gate. It is a square-shaped building with a belfry crowned with a dome. Its upper part is surrounded with an armature with two loopholes for canons at each side in 1908, during a restoration, the hipped roof at the top was replaced by a dome with a signature and four small turrets at the corners.
   In the interior the old iconostasis of the early 17th c. created by Lavrenti Pukhalskyi and Fedir Senkovych has been preserved.

The Church of St. Nicholas
28, B. Khmelnytskoho Street
   It is the oldest church in Lvov (built in the 13th c.) It is mentioned in an official letter of Prince Lev of 1292. The church is a cross aped,  domical structure with an apse on the eastern side  crowned with a similar cupolas. After a destruction, the church was restored many times and was modified. The apse contains fragments of the ancient brickwork.
   The walls are made of hewn white stones.
   The interior was painted several times but the paintings were destroyed. The images of saints on the facade were created by Petro Kholodnyi in 1924.
   The church was designed as the family sepulcher of the Halych (Galician) princes. In the old times, it was a center of social life.
   The iconostas is new but two old (17th c.) icons, those of the Holy Virgin and St, Theodor have been preserved in the church.
Olek Gvozdewych, Sasza Borovkov
photo (Jurek Jaremczuk, sasza, zakapior)

Read More...



The University...
By Pogranicze Galicja
Published: 10.08.2010

The Lvov Polytechnic University is one of the most impressive civil buildings in Lvov 1874-1877.
The building of the Lvov Polytechnic demonstrates the influence of Viennese architecture on the development of Lvov...



The Ivan Franko National University of Lvov presents a Viennese Neo-Renaissance monument of 1877-1881.
The building was designed by architect Hochberg for the Parliament (local self-government) of Halychyna...


Myroslav Podolskyy, Aleksander Borovkov
photo (zakapior)

Read More...



Next »
... photo...

The Kornyakt Town - photo Bohdan Zhukiewicz

Info