Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
TOURISM from Lvov...
Articles
Palaces...
By Pogranicze Galicja
Published: 01.07.2010


The palace
-
is a classical 18th century Baroque palace with original sculptural d
Ăcor.

   In 1772-1821 the palace housed the residence of Austrian governors of Halychyna. Since 1895 the building belonged to Prosvita Ukrainian Cultural Society which placed a number of its organizations here. The printing house of Taras Shevchenko Scientific Society as well as editorial offices of Dilo Newspaper and Hromadsky Holos Magazine were situated here. Starting from 1975 the building has been a home to an exhibition of furniture, silverware and chinaware from the collection of the Museum of Ethnography and Art Crafts.




The palace of Ossoliński


The palace of Counts Potocki
-
is a majestic edifice in French Neorenaissance style of late 19th century.

    Behind the fence with ornamental metal gate we see a majestic yet refined structure. The imposing palace is decorated with reliefs, moldings, murals and stained-glass windows. The Palace of Potockis is a bright example of mature historicism architecture and one of the most interesting architectural landmarks of Lvov. It was designed by French architect Louis d’Overnu at the order of governor of Halychyna and Lodomeria Count Alfred II Joseph Potocki (1817-1889). The construction lasted from 1888 to 1890 under the supervision of Lvov architect Julian Tsybulski who also introduced some minor changes.
   The style of King Louis XVI is predominant in the interiors of the palace’s first floor. The halls (the Red Hall, the Mirror Hall, the Blue Hall, and the Ordinate's Office) are decorated with artificial marble, gilding, moldings, and mirrors. Fireplaces cut from marble are adorned with gilded bronze.
    There is a chapel with the miracle-working icon of Virgin Mary of Lvov (15th century) on the first floor. The second floor is occupied by the exposition of Lvov Art Gallery, opened by Ancient Arts Hall. European art of 14th-18th centuries is represented by the best works from the Gallery’s collection: a 15th-century Ukrainian icon of St. Paraskeva, paintings by M. Basaiti, J. Zucchi, S. Ricci, J.-E. Lyotard, J. Guerin, and F. Goya. The palace often hosts conferences, presentations, chamber concerts, and political meetings.

The Kornyakt palace
-
represents an extremely valuable Renaissance monument dating to 1580;
it was the palace of the wealthiest citizen in the whole history of Lvov - the merchant Constantine Kornyakt. Later, it was a Royal Mansion: the property and residence of Polish King Jan
Sobieski.
    Greek by origin, originally from Crete, Constantine Kornyakt settled in Lvov in the 16th century. He controlled the wine trade along the entire Black Sea coast; he was a benefactor, an experienced and wise man who spoke many eastern languages. Thanks to Kornyakt we can take delight in many marvelous architectural gems of the Renaissance period in Lvov.  This stone house was built for him by Italian architect Peter of Barbone in the place of two former houses. According to the laws of the time, all houses situated in Rynok Square could have not more than three windows along the façade; this was a so-called rule of equal opportunity, as each window of the ground floor could be used to accommodate a workshop, a shop, a chemist’s, or for advertising purposes. The richest citizen in Lvov and a merchant, Constantine Kornyakt could not violate this rule; only later, for his services to Polish kings, did he acquire the title of nobleman and a permit to construct a palace with six windows.


The palace of Sapieha
   Designed by architect A. Kun and constructed in the second half of the 19th century, this miniature and well-proportioned Neo-Baroque palace cost almost as much as the magnificent edifice of Potockis Palace nearby. The palace facades’ exquisite hand-carved stone decorations are especially attractive.

   In November 1918 the headquarters of the Ukrainian army were deployed in the palace. Today it houses the Regional Society for Preservation of Historical and Cultural Monuments.


The palace of Dzieduszycki
  
The photograph shows the Dzieduszycki palace on Kurkova (Lysenka) Street No. 15-17, built in the second half of the 19th century. Building no. 15 contained the private but publicly accessible gallery. The collection of approximately 800 canvases consisted of two parts: West European art (paintings by Rubens, Van Dyck, Jordans) and Polish art (Matejko, Kossak, Grottger and others). The graphic collection consisted of about 3000 pieces; the park displayed old portals from the 17th to 18th century. Building no. 17 contained 50,000 books from the Dzieduszycki family collection, which were brought from their village Poturzyca near Sokal in 1857 (old books, letters, family archive). For a short period in its history the building housed the private collection of Władysław Dzieduszycki (1825-1899), which was to become the basis for the Natural History Museum.

The palace of Dzieduszycki
- is a building of the 18th-19th centuries constructed in the style of Classicism.

    In 1870 the Count opened the Museum of Natural History here. Later it became one of the largest and most valuable natural history museums in Europe. Besides, one of the oldest mechanical lifts in Europe is installed in the building. In 1890 Dzieduszycki granted the museum together with the house to the city.
   In the 80s of the last century a commission of architectural experts determined that the building required substantial restoration, which, as of now, has already been going on for more than twenty years. The restoration process is currently nearing its end.

- is a palace in late French Renaissance style of the last quarter of the 19th century located in the middle of a beautiful park surrounded by a fence.
   The palace with a high figured roof and Baroque elements was erected by architect V. Podhorodetsky for the family of Dzieduszycki magnates. Surviving old portals of Lvov dating back to the 17th-18th centuries are immured into the palace wall in the courtyard. Among them is the portal of the Franciscan Monastery destroyed by the fire of 1848.
   The Palace of Dzieduszyckis housed their private gallery and library which were open to the public until 1939. The collection numbering 800 paintings consisted of two sections: Western European art (works of Rubens, Van Dyck, Jordans) and Polish art (Matejko, Kossak, Grottger). The graphic arts collection numbered 3000 sheets. 50,000 volumes of Dzieduszycki collection brought from the family home of Poturytsa near Sokal (old printings, works of the epistolary genre, the family archive) were stored in house No. 17 starting from 1857.

The Palace of Biesiadecki
- is an example of urban palace architecture of the 18th-19th centuries in the style of Rococo, Umpire and Neoclassicism.

   This building is located deep within the land plot, behind the garden separated from Halytska Square by a stone fence with an entrance gate. Above the main entrance there is a stone cartouche with the coat of arms.
   Besides the Biesiadecki family, the palace also belonged to Bielski, Potocki and Komorowski families. The first palace was erected in the first half of the 18th century. In 1756 it was reconstructed according to the project by architect P. Riko de Tirzhel. In 1820s the interior was rebuilt by architect F. Batman, and the final reconstruction of the palace was carried out in 1934 by architect I. Bahensky. Despite all the rebuilding, the palace has preserved its original foundation.
   A sculptural frieze in Umpire style dating back to the first third of the 19th century has survived and can be found in the central hall. It is most likely the work of Lvov sculptor Johann Baptist Schimser.
   In Soviet times the palace housed the Regional Library. Today the educational facilities of Lvov National University are located in it.

The Palace of Siemienski - Lewickis
- is one of the bright examples of the 19th century late Eclectic architecture.

   Ambassador of Halychyna States and landlord of the town of Maherov Count Konstantin Siemienski ordered the palace project from architect Frederick Bauman of Prussian origin. The construction of the palace in Piekarska Street was finished in 1849.
   Count Konstantin's son Wilhelm Stanislaw Siemienski (1827-1901), who managed to rise to the rank of privy councilor of the Emperor’s court and was a member of the Nobles’ Chamber of Austria as well as holder of the Order of Malta, rebuilt the palace in 1877. The project was developed by architect A. Wagner in French Baroque style. In 1891-1894 architects Ivan Levynsky and Jan Kudelsky reconstructed the palace which has preserved its appearance till present time.
   The palace looks like an old residence with two wings and a spacious courtyard. Entrance to the stables and the manage are situated eastward from the main gate and decorated with two stone horse heads. This is not unexpected, since Wilhelm Stanislaw Siemienski was the president of Halychyna Commission on Horse Breeding and was very fond of these animals.
   In 1856 Wilhelm Stanislaw married Zofia Lewicka, and their heir Stanislaw Konstantin Maria Feliks (1864-1918) carried the name of Siemienski-Lewicki. Since that time a monogram reading “S.L.” has survived and decorats the palace’s facade. Today the descendants of this family live in Canada while their palace awaits substantial restoration in Lvov.

Aleksander Borovkov, Bohdan Zhukiewicz
photo (paweł, sasza, jurek, zakapior)

... photo...

The Kornyakt Town - photo Bohdan Zhukiewicz

Info