Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
TOURISM from Lvov...
Articles
Roman Catholic
By Galicja Pogranicze
Published: 10.12.2010

The Latin Cathedral
- presents a grand monument of the 14-18th centuries which harmoniously combines the architectural features of past epochs: Gothic, Renaissance, and Baroque.
 
    The Cathedral was the central building of the medieval city; neither money nor time was spared in its construction. Because the process of its construction lasted much longer than the lifespan of a human being none of its master-builders lived to see the fruits of their labor in its complete form. The construction of the city’s main church was launched in 1360. According to initial plans, it should have had two grand belfries. One of these was constructed by the end of the 14th century, while the other was never completed.
   The stylistic path of the Lvov Cathedral has wound its way through the Gothic, the Renaissance and Baroque periods, and it even demonstrates elements of Classicism and Secessionism. Strange as it may seem we do not feel any competing eclecticism here: various styles belonging to different ages do not wildly contrast, nor do they overwhelm each other. On the contrary, the passing of time has harmoniously assembled all of the architectural layers left by different epochs into one magnificent whole. 
   The Lvov Cathedral inherited its elongated lancet arches, vaulting and windows from the Gothic period of the 14th and 15th centuries; the windows are decorated with modern stained glass dating back to the beginning of the 20th century. The Renaissance Chapel of the Campion family dating back to the 17th century is decorated with marvelous stone carving featuring themes from the Gospel. Restoration performed in 1760-1778 gave the cathedral its Baroque flavor.
On the eastern wall of the cathedral, from the side of Halytska Street, one can see an icon with an inscription. This inscription describes a tragic and moving story that happened in Lvov over four centuries ago. In 1598, 9-year-old Katrusya, the daughter of burgher Wojciech Domagalicz, died of an incurable illness. The girl’s broken-hearted grandfather, a famous geometrician of Lvov, Jozef Wolfowicz, painted the icon of Our Lady of Tenderness and mounted it on the cathedral’s wall. This icon is a copy of the original.
    On the same eastern wall one can also see the built-in gravestone of the Szolc-Wolfowicz family, a Lvov merchant family of the 15th century. It was left over from the cemetery surrounding the cathedral that was eliminated at the end of the 18th century. The northern wall features a sculpture of the Lord's Grave dating to the 16th century.
   Cannonballs hanging on the cathedral’s eastern wall remind us about the most terrible Turkish siege of Lvov in 1672. The largest cannonball, which hangs on the wall nearest the tramline, recalls these events with the inscription: Ex obsidians turcica, (“from the Turkish siege”), Anno Domini 1672, the 28th of September.
   A shell higher in the wall bears the inscription Ex obsidians ruthenium (from the Ukrainian siege of the 5th of March 1919), a reminder of the Ukrainian-Polish war of 1918-1919.
   The Lvov Cathedral offers Liturgy in the Latin rite.

The Palace of Roman Catholic Archbishops
   Under Soviet rule the palace housed a military medical institution since 1944. Starting from the 70s it became home to Systems Scientific and Production Association which developed technologies for the USSR’s military-industrial complex. On June 25, 2001 the former Palace of Roman Catholic Archbishops was visited by Pope John Paul II, and since then it has been occupied by the Office of Lvov Archdiocese of the Roman Catholic Church. Under Polish rule, apart from the archbishops’ residence, the palace also housed Bibliotheca Relihiyna (Religious Library) Publishing House.

Kampians Chapel (renaissance).
   Built at the end of the 16th-beg. of the 17th cc. It includes two statues of the apostles Peter and Paul made by Henrich Gorst in the likeness of the father and son, Paulo and Martin.

The Boims Chapel (1609-1615).
    Late Renaissance.
Architects: A. Bemer, J. Scholz, J. Pfister. It is a cubic structure crowned with an eight-sided dome with a lantern of the sitting sorrowful Christ. Its facade is a wall with stone carvings divided into two tiers, the upper tier contains reliefs dedicated to the Passions and the lower one contains statues of St. Peter and Paul n the left and right niches accordingly. Six columns divide the wall into five parts including the two niches the Apostles, two wider openings for windows and an arch entrance in the middle. The columns rest on a cube with relief masques of lions.
   The interior is constituted by a relief altar, a continuation of the facade theme, the Passions.
   Ovals over the window arches contain figures of prophets. Caissons of the space below the dome (three rows). The first row includes the Church fathers (... Representatives of Lvov petty bourgeois must have sat for the statues... W. Kozinski).
   The pendentives supporting the dome are filled with decorations including images of the Holy Virgin. The Crucifixion scene was created with the stucco technique (modeling material made of gypsum and ground marble with addition of glue or lime). The images of the hard working peas-ants in the ... Prayer to the Cup... scene were borrowed from the Dutch and German art.
The Chapel of the Boim family
- is a famous and very unique late Renaissance
monument; it has no analogues, neither in Ukraine nor in the rest of Europe...
     The Chapel of the Boim family (Cathedral Square) is a famous and very unique late Renaissance monument; it has no analogues, neither in Ukraine nor in the rest of Europe...
   This unique monument adorns Cathedral Square; this lane leads into one of the best views of Rynok Square and City Hall. Georgia Boima Lvov merchant of Hungarian origin, who grew rich trading wine, obtained Lvov citizenship simultaneously with the post of burgomaster, and decided to build a family chapel of unparalleled beauty. The building, designed by Andrej Bemer, a constructor from Wroclaw, was consecrated in 1615.
   The façade of the chapel is entirely covered in stone carvings featuring the Passion and the figures of Saints Peter and Paul. The interior is decorated with similar splendor. As was tradition at the time, regular peoplemodelled for multi-figured compositions. Hence we can view the faces of real people of times past.
   The façade on the side of Halytska Street bears the original glassed-in portraits of Boim and his wife. The third façade has a marvelous relief featuring St. George slaying the Dragon.
   A statue of the grieving Christ in Gethsemane, asking God to let him avoid crucifixion, sits atop the chapel’s dome. This subject, quite often represented in painting, is indeed unique in sculpture.
   The Chapel of the Boim family is known for having a particular energy: a museum worker had once left a basket with apples in the corner of the chapel and a yearandahalf later, she had suddenly stumbled upon it finding the apples as rich and fragrant as before.
   The Chapel of the Boim family is only open to visitors in the summer.

The Latin Cathedral
of Assumption of the Holy Virgin Mary.
   The construction was started in 1350 by a master, M. Nychko and finished in 1493 by an architect, Hans Blecher. Due to fires, the building was restored in 1527 and in 1760-1778 (according to a baroque design of an architect, Petro Polejowski).
   The belfry is 65 meters high and crowned with a copper helmet with four stone vases in the corners.
   The Latin Cathedral has gone through several stages from the gothic through renaissance, baroque and classicism to secession. All t5he periods left their style impressions on the cathedral which is especially noticeable in the interior (especially, the gothic vault).
   The stained glass produced according to sketches of J. Mehoffer and Y. Mateiko at the end of the 19th c. Frescos by S. Strojinski (1775).
   Organ produced in Lvov in 1839.
   Next to the main alter, there is an empire style monument to K. Yablonovska (sculptor H. Witwer, 1806).
Bohdan Zhukiewicz

photo (Jurek Jaremczuk, sasza, bo, zakapior)

... photo...

The Kornyakt Town - photo Bohdan Zhukiewicz

Info