Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
TOURISM from Lvov...
Articles
Palaces...
By Pogranicze Galicja
Published: 10.07.2010

The palace of Lubomirski
- is a classical 18th century Baroque palace with original sculptural d
Ćcor.
    Two medieval houses in Rynok square which used to belong to Prince Sapieha were rebuilt in 1744 into a single one according to the project by architect Bernard Meretin, who constructed Saint George Cathedral. In 1760 the new owner of the building, Prince Stanislaw Lubomirski, bought out the adjacent buildings in Ruska and Fedorova Streets. Separate buildings were transformed into a single large palace designed by well-known architect Jan de Witt – the builder of the Dominical Cathedral. Construction, decoration and sculptural works were supervised by people equally well-known in Lvov – architect Martin Urbanik and sculptor Sebastian Fesinger.

The palace of Ossoliński


The palace of Counts Potocki
- is a majestic edifice in French Neorenaissance style of late 19th century.

    Behind the fence with ornamental metal gate we see a majestic yet refined structure. The imposing palace is decorated with reliefs, moldings, murals and stained-glass windows. The Palace of Potockis is a bright example of mature historicism architecture and one of the most interesting architectural landmarks of Lvov. It was designed by French architect Louis d’Overnu at the order of governor of Halychyna and Lodomeria Count Alfred II Joseph Potocki (1817-1889). The construction lasted from 1888 to 1890 under the supervision of Lvov architect Julian Tsybulski who also introduced some minor changes.

The Kornyakt palace
- represents an extremely valuable Renaissance monument dating to 1580;
 -
it was the palace of the wealthiest citizen in the whole history of Lvov - the merchant Constantine Kornyakt. Later, it was a Royal Mansion: the property and residence of Polish King Jan Sobieski...
- Greek by origin, originally from Crete, Constantine Kornyakt settled in Lvov in the 16th century.


The palace of Sapieha
- is the ancestral home of an old family of Lithuanian - Rus princes. The building in 17th century French Baroque style was erected in 1868.
    Contemporaries used to call the palace of Adam Sapieha “the box of wonders”...
   The Sapieha Palace іn Lvov, іs а Chateauesque two-storey mansion dating frоm the 1870s. Іt іs lightly screened frоm the road by а wrought-iron grill. The house's fіrst owner wаs Prince Leon Sapieha, а pioneer оf railway building іn Galicia.
   After the September Campaign, the palace w
аs taken оver by the Soviet state and housed а school until а restoration campaign wаs launched іn the 1990s. Аt present іt іs home tо а regional society fоr preservation оf historical а
nd architectural monuments.

The palace of Dzieduszycki
- is a building of the 18th-19th centuries constructed in the style of Classicism.

    A great Lvov Maecenas, well-known zoologist, ethnographer and archeologist, descendant of a polonized noble Ukrainian family Count Wlodzimierz Dzieduszycki purchased an abandoned 18th century building in present-day Teatralna Street from the city in 1868. In early 19th century this house was rebuilt into a palace in pseudo-Classical style. The palace housed the Magistrate’s departments, though many thought that it was intended to be a museum.

- is a palace in late French Renaissance style of the last quarter of the 19th century located in the middle of a beautiful park surrounded by a fence...

The Palace of Counts Goluchowski
- is one of the first Neo-Roman structures in Lvov.

    The building was designed by architect K. Omann and erected in 1865. The palace was owned by Count Agenor Goluchowski – a pro-Polish politician of the Austrian Empire, the governor of Halychyna who repeatedly occupied this position in the second half of the 19th century, a bureaucrat and a conservative, and the author of the idea to introduce Latin alphabet for the Ukrainian language. Today the former Palace of Goluchowskis houses the Diagnostic Centre of Lvov Railway Hospital.

The Palace of Bielski
- is the most characteristic example of Lvov's classicistic Art Nouveau.

    The building was designed by architect Ivan Bahensky and constructed in 1923 for the family of Bielski magnates. The palace has two storey's with a mezzanine and a rascality in the right part. The composition of the main facade is asymmetric, being skillfully blended into the inclined relief. The main portico is emphasized by the vertical line of Corinthian columns which support the attic balustrade. The palace is located deep within the land plot and surrounded by a metal fence.
In post-war years the House of Teachers was situated in the Palace of Bielskis. Since 1958 the Polish Folk Theatre in Lvov has been staging its performances here.

The Palace of Biesiadecki
 - is an example of urban palace architecture of the 18th-19th centuries in the style of Rococo, Umpire and Neoclassicism.

   This building is located deep within the land plot, behind the garden separated from Halytska Square by a stone fence with an entrance gate. Above the main entrance there is a stone cartouche with the coat of arms.

The Palace of Siemienski - Lewickis
- is one of the bright examples of the 19th century late Eclectic architecture.

    Ambassador of Halychyna States and landlord of the town of Maherov Count Konstantin Siemienski ordered the palace project from architect Frederick Bauman of Prussian origin. The construction of the palace in Piekarska Street was finished in 1849.
Aleksander Borovkov, Bohdan Zhukiewicz, Zakapior
photo (pawe³, sasza, jurek, zakapior)

Read More...



... architecture portrays the original spirit...
By Pogranicze Galicja
Published: 10.06.2010

Aleksander Borovkov, Zakapior
photo (pawe³, sasza, jurek, zakapior)


The streets in Lvov always give an impression of comfort and its nest of short alleys resembles a maze.

But it is only the first impression. Later, having understood the charming beauty of Lvov peculiar streets, one wonders how one could leave unnoticed the peculiarities of the city of Lion!

Shevchenko Avenue
- it almost fully preserves the European architectural spirit of the beginning of the 20th century.

- with an alley in the middle was designed for friendly talks, meetings and meditations.
   At the corner of 4 Shevchenka Prospect and Chaykovskoho Street stands one of the most attractive Secession buildings in Lvov, the former profitable house of solicitor Sehal; its tower features a decorative gable. The building interior is adorned with luxurious tapestries, stucco décor, and Secession stained glass.
   Building No. 8 houses one of the best bookshops in Lvov. The Shevchenko Scientific Society bookshop offers the widest collection of Ukrainian books in Lvov.

A painter, graduate of the Vienna Academy M. Ivasyuk and Ukrainian composer, I. Bilozir lived Fredra Street.

Shevchenka str.
Horodotska str.
Lychakivska str.

Virmenska str.
Ruska str.

Read More...



« Previous
... photo...

The Kornyakt Town - photo Bohdan Zhukiewicz

Info