Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Articles
You have to see it (My Bieszczady)
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 17.04.2010

Lake Solina 


photo Natalia Habowska

Lake Solina  is an artificial lake (the biggest in Poland) in the Bieszczady Mountains region, more precisely in Lesko County of the Subcarpathian Voivoidship. The lake was created in 1961-68 by the construction of the Solina Dam on the San River. It has area of  22 square kilometers and contains 427 million cubic of water. Solina is the best known tourist attraction of the region, however not only, because lake protects the waterside villages from flooding.
(zakapior)


photo (zakapior)


The grave of "the Countess Klara”


When we cross the border of Bieszczady National Park in Bukowiec, the educational trial leads us along the San River , which is the 6th - longest  Polish river. The 2-hour walk results in reaching the Użocka Pass at an elevation of 853 meters. The pass gives a fantastic opportunity to enjoy the amazing Sianki’s panorama. In the past the village was a very attractive and picturesque holiday destination. Before the II World War there were 6 guesthouses, 3 hostels including a very comfortable hostel which belonged to the Ski Society from Przemyśl and also inns and restaurants. Moreover, in Sianki the village owner’s minor was located. After WWII when Polish borders have been changed the village has been divided into two more less equal parts – the first now belongs to Poland and the other to Ukraine. In Polish part the tourists can visit the remainders of  the old orthodox church’s cemetery. Although the village isn’t most frequented by tourists it is said that everyone who wants to roam through Bieszczady has to visit Sianki and  the Countess  Klara’s grave. Klara was one of the village’s owner and she was buried in the local cemetery together with her husband Franciszek. What is also worth  to mention, here the San river arises  at an elevation of 900 meters, exactly on the Polish-Ukrainian border. The river forms the border between Poland and Ukraine for approximately its first 50 km.
When we are eager to take up some bigger challenges we can roam from the pass along Polish border through Piniaszowy Peak and Opołonek Peak (1028 meters). During our ramble we are able to see the old Polish – USSR border’s protection (“sistiema” – a very high entanglements and broad piece of ground which used to be regularly ploughed. Today, this area is almost deserted. The small villages which used to be here have disappeared, mainly because of  the forced resettlement after the II World War.
(zakapior)


Bieszczady’s meadows (Połoniny)

The meadows are located on a top of the highest peaks in Bieszczady National Park. One of the most frequently visited is Połonina Wetlińska, where the hostel Chatka Puchatka is located.
 At sunrise we set up from The  Wyżniańskiej pass, then we pass the hostel, and climb on Mala Rawka.  Although punting, we cover very hard climb  and  at the same time admire the beauty of beech forest,  the hum of brook and the   whole nature . At the height of 1000 m  there is a clearing with the view on  Wetlinska Meadow .After next exhausting 267 m of marching we reach the Mala Rawka.
It is 9 a.m., the views are astonishing, the weather is good, we drink some tea, have something to eat and again go up.
After a while we find ourselves on   Wielkia Rawka 1304 m The only thing which surrounds us is spectacular  Bieszczady. This is something that we will never forget.
 The aim of this trip is mainly the Kremerec mountain(1221), which is located in three countries : Ukraine, Slovakia and Poland . Most people  wait penitently  for the Sun to take photos. Meanwhile more and more tourist are approaching this place, because they are eager for these views just like the others . This is the only place from where you can spot most beautiful treasures of Bieszczadzki National Park, e.g.  the view on Moczarny’s Valley or mainstay of game (bend for tourist hiking). You can take photos of meadows, Tarnica, Czertez, Rabia Skala and Bukoviec  Mountains . September is the period when from this place we can watch   Tatry Mountains and Gorgany Mountains, but only when the visibility is immaculate.

(zakapior)

Kremieniec - the mountain located within three borders

At sunrise we set up from The Wyżniańskiej pass, then we pass the hostel, and climb on Mala Rawka.  Although punting, we cover very hard climb   and  at the same time admire the beauty of beech forest,  the hum of brook and the   whole nature . At the height of 1000 m  there is a clearing with the view on  Wetlinska Meadow .After next exhausting 267 m of marching we reach the Mala Rawka.
It is 9 a.m., the views are astonishing, the weather is good, we drink some tea, have something to eat and again go up.
 After a while we find ourselves on Wielkia Rawka 1304 m The only thing which surrounds us is spectacular  Bieszczady. This is something that we will never forget. The aim of this trip is mainly the Kremerec mountain(1221), which is located in three countries : Ukraine, Slovakia and Poland .
Most people  wait penitently  for the Sun to take photos. Meanwhile more and more tourist are approaching this place, because they are eager for these views just like the others . This is the  only place from where you can spot most beautiful treasures of Bieszczadzki National Park, e.g.  the view on Moczarny’s Valley or mainstay of game (bend for tourist hiking). You can take photos of meadows, Tarnica, Czertez, Rabia Skala and Bukoviec  Mountains . September is the period when from this place we can watch   Tatry Mountains and Gorgany Mountains, but only when the visibility is immaculate.
(zakapior)

The wooden architecture route

Bieszczady are known as a place where every (even the most demanding) tourist can find something interesting. One of the biggest attractions is the route of wooden architecture. The whole idea is connected with two ethnographical groups  (Lemkos and Boykos) which are two of the four major groups inhabiting the Eastern Carpathian Mountains.
Both groups left a huge heritage that’s why  now the tourist can discover the beauty of the Bieszczady’s past through their churches and chapels.

Sanok
 In Sanok’s Open Air Museum we can see a wooden church, which was relocated from Bączal Dolny (1667) and restored to original condition in the skansen. The church was founded by village’s owner Jan Łętowski. The church has a baroque interior decorations. On the main altar there is the image of St. Valentine, also we can find a seventeenth – century crucifix, monuments of Blessed Virgin Mary and St. John the Apostle, renaissance ambo with  frescos and also the gothic font.

Rozpucie

The church which was built in 1900 is dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary end the Holly Cross. The church was founded by the village’s owner Leokadia Żuk – Skarszewska and built by local carpenters. Inside we can see: the altar from 1909 which prototype was the altar from Tyrawa Wołoska. The altar has carvings which present St. Peter and Paul and rococo sculpture of Holly Father and Angels from 18 c. (all of the sculptures originally came from Stańkowa’s chapel ) also, there are sixteenth – century bas –relieves on the ambo which presents Apostles (Bircza) and baroque God box from Rybotycze’s church.

Nowosielce Kozickie
The church which is dedicated to St. George and Tekla was founded by the village’s owners Jerzy and Cecylia Nowosielscy (1743). The church’s interior decorations are mainly said to be baroque, there is an image of St. Tekla, the ambo and the memorial stone with Jelito and Sas’s crests. Near the church there is a chapel in which Michał Leszczyński was buried. There are also graves of Apolinary and Sibilla Dydyńscy from 19c.

Ropienka
The church was built in 1893 and founded by Ropienka’s owners Jan and Amelia Wiechbiccy. Inside, there is a nineteenth – century altar which originally came from the orthodox church in the village.

Łobozew
The church is dedicated to The Divine Mercy and it was built in 19c. The church has only one nave and the triple presbytery next to which there is a small vestry.

Średnia Wieś
 In the village is located the oldest wooden church in Bieszczady. Originally the church was built by the family of Bal  as a minor’s chapel in 16c. What is worth mention, the church has a fantastic baroque interior decorations from 18c and the late baroque altar which were founded by Katarzyna Balówna. On the main altar there is an image of  Madonna and Child. Near the belfry there is the image of  the Last Supper which was painted by well known Bieszczady’s painter Jędrek Połoniny – Wasilewski.

Dolina

The Zahutyń associated church which was built in 1836 and founded by Gabriela Wenziarowa. The building was designed and built by well known polish carpenter Jan Długosz. Inside, there is the nineteenth – century altar which contains six icons which presents images of the Apostles.

Zahutyń

The church is dedicated to the Mary, Queen of Poland and was built on the place of the old orthodox church in 1946. Inside, there is the eighteenth – century image of the Our Lady of Mount Carmel, which was relocated from the Order of St. Francis from Sanok as well as the wooden font.

Zakapior
translated by
 JustynaB
photo Natalia Habowska (bo, ordynat, zakapior)

... photo...

Sine Wiry - (photo bo)

Info