Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
TOURISM from Ukrainian...
Articles
Khrehiv
By Pogranicze Galicja
Published: 10.10.2015



Bohdan Zhukiewicz
   This small village is located in 12 km Zhovkva. You should examine a wooden church (built in 1724) with an interesting iconostasis, and a wooden bell tower near it which saved the lines of defensive architecture.
   In 2 km to the south-east from the village there is the Basylian Monastery first founded in 1618 near a mountain with a cave and later moved to its present location. There is the Mykolaiv church (1721-1737) and monastic cells (1755-1902), and also a defensive bell tower. After extensive works of renovation the monastery now shines again and radiates its splendor.
photo Vasyl, Zakapior


Read More...



UNESCO from UA - wooden tserkvas of the Galicia and Lodomeria region...
By Pogranicze Galicja
Published: 10.08.2013

Lvov region (Oblast)...


* Zhovkva - 1720
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Trinity_Church,_Zhovkva
   We cross to the other side of the  border; the next eight tservas are located in Ukraine.

   Wooden Holy Trinity Church was built in suburb of Zhovkva, on the place of a church that burned down in 1717. The structure consists of three wooden naves and a brick sacristy.
   There is an iconostasis consisting of about 50 icons painted by the masters of Zhovkva Painting and Carving School of Ivan Rutkovych in the beginning of 18th century. The iconostasis is made from linden wood carved by Ignatiy Stobenskyj. In 1978-79 iconostasis was restored.


Bohdan Zhukiewicz
     These tserkvas were built between the 16th and 19th centuries to serve the Eastern Orthodox and Greek Catholic faiths, and were made from the timber of the great forests which covered most lands in Europe at that time. The location of most of them in remote rural villages in the Carpathian Region, between Poland and Ukraine, helped them to survive centuries of plundering and fire.
photo; Andrzej Siwek, Aleksander, Juri, Bohdan, Zakapior

* Potelych the descent of the Holy Spirit Church - 1502
* Matkiv the curious St. Dmytro's Church - 1838

* Drohobych - 17th
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._George%27s_Church,_Drohobych
   St. George's Church. Built in the second half, it looks like a medieval ship on dry land,
 - is one of the oldest and best preserved timber churches of Galicia. The church, dating from ca. 1500, consists of three parts. The central block is square in plan and comprises the nave. Two other blocks contain the double apse and the narthex. Between 1678 and 1711, the church was renovated: the interior was frescoed, the octagonal structures built up, and a new belfry appeared.


Read More...



Drohobych (early 16th century)...
By Pogranicze Galicja
Published: 05.08.2013

   Wooden Church of Exaltation of Holy Cross first mentioned in documents in 1496. During Tatar attack on Drohobych in 1499 the church was burned down. Next in 1613 was built a new wooden church - dated according to the inscription in the nave. Originally it was trident and one-story church.
Bohdan Zhukiewicz


Read More...



UNESCO from UA - wooden tserkvas of the Ivano-Frankivsk...
By Pogranicze Galicja
Published: 10.07.2013

Stanislavshchyna - (dawniej Stanisławów) region (Oblast)...


* Rohatyn - beginning of the 16th century
   An old image from the Descent of the Holy Spirit Church.
Bohdan Zhukiewicz

* Nyzhniy Verbizh - 1808

photo; Aleksander, Bohdan, Zakapior

Read More...



UNESCO from UA - wooden tserkvas of the Zakarpattya...
By Pogranicze Galicja
Published: 10.06.2013

Zakarpattia region (Oblast)...


The Church of Ascension of Our Lord, with its bell tower at the left.
* Yasynia - 1824
Wooden Tserkvas of the Carpathian Region.
This originally Greek Catholic wooden church,
- and the Chorna Tysa river among the Carpathian mountains of Ukraine. The church is considered to be one of the finest examples of the Hutsul architectural style and few modern alterations have been made to the building, two factors which contributed to its selection as a UNESCO world heritage site in 2013. According to a Hutsul legend the church was built on the site where a flock of sheep miraculously survived through the winter unharmed after being left behind by a shepherd in a snowstorm.
Bohdan Zhukiewicz

* Uzhok - 1745



photo; Aleksander, Juri, Bohdan, Zakapior

Read More...



Zakarpattya Region
By Pogranicze Galicja
Published: 25.07.2011

Tserkvas the Carpathian Hutsul...

* The church was originally constructed in the village of Shelestovo.
  
This Greek Catholic wooden church was built and dedicated to Saint Michael in the Boyko style stands
in the Outdoor Museum of Folk Architecture in Uzhgorod - 1745,
   In 1927 the church was moved to Mukachevo, where it was later neglected during the early Soviet period. The church was transferred to the Uzhgorod museum in the 1970's to form the centrepiece of the museum's collection of Transcarpathian folk buildings.
    The church is an outstanding example of the Lemko style of architecture, with its three onion domes arranged with the highest above the narthex (entrance area) a middle dome above the nave and the lowest dome above the sanctuary. There are only a few remaining examples of the Lemko architectural style in Ukraine, since the style is more commonly seen further west in the Carpathians in what today are Slovakia and Poland. Three Lemko churches were moved to what today is the Czech Republic while Transcarpathia was part of Czechoslovakia between the World Wars. Two other Lemko churches which are still in Ukraine have been transferred to the Outdoor Museums in the capital Kiev and in Lviv. A further example of the style is in the town of Svalyava, where the large church of St. Nicholas can be seen.
Bohdan Zhukiewicz
Photo Zakapior

Read More...



Palanok from Zakarpattya
By Pogranicze Galicja
Published: 20.07.2011


Więcej;
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamek_Palanka
http://ua.pogranicze.eu/index.php?categoryid=34&p2_start=20

Bohdan Zhukiewicz


MUKACHEVO castle
Palanka - Palanok - Zamok Palanok - Munkács vára

Helena Zrinska - Jelena Zrinska - Ilona Zrínyi

    The paper describes the Palanok castle in the Zakarpattya in Western Ukraine. This is one of the most popular tourist sites in Ukraine,  famous not only of turbulent history and military architecture, but also interesting geology and incomparable scenic views. The recent castle was built in the XIVth century at the top of Sarmatia-Early Pannonian hornblende-pyroxene andesine plug, which rises 68 meters above the surrounding plain. The castle includes lower, central and upper parts with 130 rooms of total area about 14 000 m2. In 2008 over 100,000 visitors have arrived from Ukraine, Slovakia, Poland and Hungary, which generated over 50, 000 EUR profit. Recently, the castle is a site of regional museum, modern painting gallery and thematic exhibition "The wooden churches of Zakarpattya".
photo Taras



Read More...



Romantic trip to castle
By Pogranicze Galicja
Published: 15.07.2011

Picturesque Svirzh
Świrscy herbu Szaława
 - is a located on the south of Lvov region on the way to Peremyshliany. Earlier Svirzh was a city and now it is only a big village surrounded by the river of the same name. The region is very lovely like Carpathian mountains in miniature, along the outskirts steep rocks of strange view can be  observed. The castle was built by the Svirz princes in XV century and at the second half of XVII century it was rebuilt by Halych chaste lain Oleksandr Centner. Square castle has 2 yards: a big one for residence and a small one for farmstead. Both yards are connected with stairs. The south  wing of the top yard ends with the square three-stepped towers. There is an entry tower on its axis to which the wooden bridge that is hang upon the Graff leads. The peculiarity of white stones and ornaments makes the castle one of the most interesting findings of defense architecture. If you are looking for a romantic, quite place, the castle is a very good option - you should definitely come here.
Bohdan Zhukiewicz

Read More...



Castles in the region of Volyn end Podolia...
By Pogranicze Galicja
Published: 05.05.2010

Zbarazh (Zbaraż)
Siedziba princes (książąt) Zbarskich and Wiśniowieckich
- in the 13th century, at the top of the Old Zbarazh Mountain, a wooden fortified castle, which was destroyed during the Tatars invasion in 1589, was built…

    The second castle was raised by Zbarazh dukes - brothers Jerzy and Krzysztof. A design of the castle was prepared by the Italian architect Vincenzo Scamozzi in 1612, and construction works began in 1620. In 1627, after the death of Krzysztof and later, after the death of his brother Jerzy, the castle went into the hands of the Wiśniowiecki family (they came from the same Korybutowicz lineage as the Zbaraski family). New owners strengthened the castle’s defensive system, and enlarged a residential part - the palace…
   For Poles, a visit in the town is always an opportunity for emotion or, at least, it is an adventure with a thrill…
… We are recalling With Fire and Sword…

Buchach (Buczacz) 

    The castle was built in the 14th century by the  Buczacki family. Formerly, it was a wooden building, later - a brick one. Built on a triangle base it had an entrance through a gate tower and leading through a courtyard to a residential building...
   The Buczacki family settled in Yazlovetz, they adopted the name Jazłowiecki. Due to their efforts, the town and the castle enlarged...


Yazlovetz (Jazłowiec)
    A castle, and later unfortunately ruins of the castle, which survived till the outbreak of World War II, was built in the first half of the 16th century by Jerzy Jazłowiecki (1575), the Grand Crown Hetman, and beautified and strengthened by his son Mikołaj, the starost of Sniatyn...

Terebovl  (Trembowla)
    Thanks to Henryk Sienkiewicz every Pole knows what the
fortress in Kamianets Podilskyi was in the old Poland and what the history of the fortress is. It is a completely different story with respect to the castle in Terebovl, which was considered to be the next after Kamianets and served an important function in a defensive system of the Galicia land...

Vyshnivets (Wiśniowiec) 
Princes Wiśniowieckich
    Formerly a town, it is situated on the border of the Volhynia Region and the Podolia Region, by the Horyn River, about 25 km to the East from Załoźce...
    The first mentions about the settlement come from 1395, but under the name Vyshnivets the place was mentioned for the first time in the half of the 15th century. The town is known mainly from the battle which took place there on
28 April 1512, when under Vyshnivets the army of Rzeczpospolita conquered the Tatars’ army...
   The grandson of the Grand Duke of Lithuania, Gediminas, Dymitr Korybut founded castles in Vyshnivets and in Zbarazh. When the first castle was built, he started to use the name Wiśniowiecki...
   The famous duke Jerema Michał (1612-1651), the voivode of
Ruthenia, founded a church and a monastery of Carmelites (1645) in the town and fortified the castle which has already existed there…
Aleksander Mishuk
translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz
Photos Aleksander Mishuk, Mieczysław Kowal, Janusz Kurasz, Jurek Jaremczuk, (zakapior)

Read More...



Castles in the Kresy...
By Pogranicze Galicja
Published: 25.03.2010

Bar castle
Bona Sfortia Dei gratia regina Poloniae
    The castle was built around 1380 by the Koriatowicz family. It was the Lithuanian ducal  family, which received this land from the Grand Duke of Lithuania - Algirdas. The conferment was approved anew by the Polish king Ladislaus Jagiello
 in 1386. At that time the locality was called Rov. The first castle was a wooden fortified building with two towers and a double brick-wall...
   After a death of the last person from the family (1430) the land was incorporated to the Crown and the castle was inhabited by a royal starost...


Międzybóż castle 
Меджибіж, dawniej Międzyboż, Międzybuże,
Mikołaj Sieniawski
herbu Leliwa, Hetman Wielki Koronny.
    A brick castle was built by the Koriatowicz family, who received the land from the Polish king Casimir the Great in 1366...
    The castle was built in the place of the former wooden borough burned by the Tatars in the 12th century. At that time, the castle was frequently attacked by the Tatars because it was situated between the routes of their assaults called Black Trail and Kuczman Trail.
Bohdan Zhukiewicz
translated by Joanna Hardukiewicz
photo; Jurek Jaremczuk, Jurek Owczaruk, (zakapior)

Read More...



Next »
... photo...

Pochajiv - photo Sasza


The Palanok Castle or Mukachevo - photo Grisza

Info