Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
TOURISM from Ukrainian...
Articles
UNESCO from UA - wooden tserkvas of the Galicia and Lodomeria region...
By Pogranicze Galicja
Published: 10.08.2013


*
Zhovkva - 1720




* Potelych - 1502
- built in this is the oldest tserkva of the list.
   The Descent of the Holy Spirit Church in the village of Potelych is  considered to be the oldest church not only in Lvov region, but also throughout the Ukraine. According to the chronicle sources, the Holy Spirit Church was built in 1502 by Potelych potters in place of the previous church of Borys and Hlib. The church complex consists of a church, bell tower and two watchtowers at the entrance. All constructions were built without a single nail. Roofs and walls of the church are covered with wooden shingles. The temple houses a valuable iconostasis of the 17th  century with the icon "Deesis" (1683) by Rutkovych. Most of the paintings with scenes of the Passion of Christ were made in 1620-1640. The temple was reconstructed in 1736, and 1970-1972 - restored. In the 37th session of the World Heritage Committee of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), held in Cambodia on June 21, 2013, the Descent of the Holy Spirit Church, along with other wooden churches of the Carpathian region was inscribed on the World Heritage List.



* Matkiv - 1838
The curious St. Dmytro's Church, It features five sloping sections and helmet-shaped domes.
Matków - is a village (selo) in Turka ration, Lvov oblast, in south-west Ukraine.
The village was probably established in the 15th century but was first mentioned in the first half of the 16th century. In the interwar period the village had around 1,500 inhabitants, 70% of them were Poles.
The village boasts the St. Dmytro's Church, built in 1838.




* Drohobych - 17th
   The church was built sometime in the late XVI century in the  village of Nadiyiv. (Nadiyiv is about 40 miles south-east of Drohobych). In 1657 the church was purchased for a barrel of salt, taken apart, transported and erected in Drohobych on the site of an earlier church which was destroyed by tartars in 1499. The bell tower was built in 1670. The church is officially labeled as a "three-room log constructed church with three levels".

   It may be interesting for the readers to find out a few details about the church of St. George in Drohobych, after which St. Elias is patterned.

    The church was repaired and improved during the period of 1820-1830 and then again in 1974-5. The church has been labeled as an architectural monument for a long time and has been used as a museum during the Soviet period. I do not have the dimensions of the church available.

   Of interest - the wide roof overhang of a Boyko church was called "suboty" in Ukrainian or "Saturdays" if translated into English. This is where some of the parishioners from far away would spend the night, under the overhang, after coming to church late Saturday evening. This assured their timely presence at the Sunday services early in the morning. It is very doubtful that the overhang at St. Elias will serve a similar purpose.

... photo...

Pochajiv - photo Sasza


The Palanok Castle or Mukachevo - photo Grisza

Info