Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Info

Národný park Poloniny
Bukovské vrchy



Národný park Slovenský raj


Pieninský národný park (PIENAP)



Tatranský národný park (TANAP)


Národný park Nízke Tatry (NAPANT)


Národný park Muránska planina


Národný park Veľká Fatra


Národný park Malá Fatra

TOURISM from SK - Zemplín, Šariš, Spiš, Liptov, Orava, (region)
Articles
The Orava (region)...
By Pogranicze SK
Published: 10.02.2011




Oravský hrad Castle
   It consists of several buildings copying the shape of the castle rock. In 1556, the Castle fell into the hands of the Thurzos' who were the authors of the most extensive reconstruction of the castle's history. The Orava castle acquired its present form in 1611.
    After the Thurzos' died out, the castle was owned by several landlords who did not take much care of it. The biggest disaster affected the castle in 1800 when it burnt down, and became useless. The most extensive reconstruction was made after the Second World War.
   Today the Castle is a remarkable compound of buildings of the lower, central and upper castles with palaces, fortifications and towers. Visitors are intrigued by its three entrance gates communicated by a tunnel, under which there is a dungeon.
   In the Castle itself
(the Orava Museum) was established with numerous series of expositions. In the oldest part of the upper castle, an archaeological exposition documenting the oldest history of the Orava settlement is installed. Natural history exhibition is installed in the bottom floors of the central castle with samples of fauna and flora. On the upper floor of the central castle, an ethnographic exposition is placed. Historical exposition consists of a group of medieval and Renaissance buildings with their original furniture. Seeing the castle also includes short performances due to which it belongs among the most attractive in Slovakia.
   Night visits to the Castle in the main tourist season enriched with theatre performances and eerie events are becoming ever more popular.
Access: driving to the parking lot by the river, then walking about 10 minutes.


* Zuberec
   The Late Gothic wooden church of St Elizabeth  is the dominant structure in the Museum of the Orava village - open air museum situated only 3 kilometers away of Zuberec near Brestová.
   It stands in cemetery in the middle of wonderful mountain scenery. The church was originally built in the 19th century and moved here in the 20th century from village Zábrež.

Museum of the Orava Village
   A visitor can see here all kinds of buildings - peasant houses, larders, lumber rooms, farmsteads, shepherd's huts, haylofts, etc. sacral buildings (a wooden church, cemetery and belfry) and the craftsman's and linen-maker's houses (a Wallachia mill and sawmill, a potter's furnace and falling mill, etc.).
    The Museum is divided into five sections regarding each individual region. The Market Place of the Lower Orava exemplifies the richer side of the region with rather large, ostentatious houses. The Mill near the brook includes a water mill, sawmill and fulling mill with their common water-driven mechanism. The Lane of the Zamagurie Region, with houses and farmsteads of rich and medium rich farmers, represents the typical structure of an Orava village. The Goral Settlement represents the poorest part of Orava lying on south-eastern slopes of the Oravské Beskydy mountains.
   The
cemetery with the Late-Gothic wooden church
from Zábrež from the 15th century, standing on an elevated location, dominates the area.
   The Museum regularly organizes ethnological expositions and the international
Podroháčsky Folk Festival is held in the local amphitheatre in August. Artisans present their skills and produce within the area of the Museum. A relax in the original inn of an adapted old mill is also attractive.
photo Slovakia travel, Zakapior






   Construction of the dam started in 1941 and was finished in 1954. By impoundment of the valley depression, several villages disappeared. A favourite point in the reservoir is the
Slanický ostrov island or Ostrov umenia, which used to be a village. The church standing there is the Roman-Catholic church
built in 1766 - 1769. It shelters a permanent exposition of folk art with an out-door exhibition of stonemason art works. A boat ensures a regular communication between the shore and the island.
     The Orava dam became an important holiday and sport centre with lodging, catering facilities and the usual services to the holidaymakers.
Sport and recreation facilities are concentrated on the southern shore of the water reservoir in two resorts: Slanická osada and the Goral Hotel
.
   Numerous restaurants, hostels, hotels, two
camping sites
, sport facilities and sport equipment rental services contribute to the satisfaction of visitors.
   The summer tourist season starts in the middle of June and ends in September. There is also the possibility of a
sightseeing tour by boat. Boats with regular departures every day during the summer season serve tourists.
Worked out by Bohus Zhukiewicz

... photo...

... widok ze Starej Lubovny na Tatry - (photo zakapior)


Trenčiansky hrad - photo Frantisek

Info



Bratislava


Košice


Prešov


Michalovce


Sobrance


Snina


Humenné


Medzilaborce


Svidník


Bardejov


Levoča


Spišská Nová Ves


Stará Ľubovňa


Kežmarok


Poprad


Liptovský Mikuláš


Ružomberok


Dolný Kubín