Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Info

Národný park Poloniny
Bukovské vrchy



Národný park Slovenský raj


Pieninský národný park (PIENAP)



Tatranský národný park (TANAP)


Národný park Nízke Tatry (NAPANT)


Národný park Muránska planina


Národný park Veľká Fatra


Národný park Malá Fatra

TOURISM from SK - Zemplín, Šariš, Spiš, Liptov, Orava, (region)
Articles
The old Spiš...
By SK Pogranicze
Published: 10.09.2012





MONUMENTS

   The Town Monument Reserve of Levoča
represents a complete set of important cultural and historical monuments bordered by the oblong, relatively well-preserved town walls.
    The dominant part of the old Levoča is the large rectangular square, with the Roman-Catholic St. James church 
from the 14th century, which is one of the most important sacral buildings in Slovakia. The tall slender church tower from the first half of the 19th century is the most distinct feature in the city's silhouette. 
   Especially precious is the interior of the church, which is in fact a unique museum of medieval sacral art. The Late Gothic wooden main altar of St. James with the height of 18.6 m is the highest of its kind in the world. It was made of lime wood in 1507-1517 in the workshop of Maestro Pavol of Levoca
. Maestro Pavol is said to have depicted himself as one of the statues of the twelve apostles in the exquisite composition of the Last Supper scene in the altar`s predella.
   The church neighbors with the arcaded building of the former
Town Hall
which was built after the fire in 1550 and is one of the finest buildings of secular Renaissance architecture in Slovakia.
   The so-called cage of opprobrium located in the square is from the 16th century and was used in the past as a pillory for the public humiliation. The central square is skirted by more than 50 remarkable burgher and patrician houses, many of which carry the name of their former owners. Of special interest is Thurzo's house, which acquired its Neo-Renaissance graffito facade in 1904.
   Levoča has been inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List since 2009.


PILGRIM PLACE
    High above the town towers the Mariánska hora Mt. (781 m). Every year at the beginning of July Levoča becomes the meeting point of the largest pilgrimage in Slovakia. Tens of thousands of pilgrims in long queues ascend to the mountain to render their gratitude to the Virgin Mary in public services in the Neo-Gothic church of the Visitation of the Virgin Marry from the beginning of the 20th century. The original pilgrim chapel was rebuilt into a small Gothic church in 1470. The interior of the new church contains the wonderful statue of the Virgin Mary which is now the main symbol of the pilgrimage to Levoča.



... photo...

... widok ze Starej Lubovny na Tatry - (photo zakapior)


Trenčiansky hrad - photo Frantisek

Info



Bratislava


Košice


Prešov


Michalovce


Sobrance


Snina


Humenné


Medzilaborce


Svidník


Bardejov


Levoča


Spišská Nová Ves


Stará Ľubovňa


Kežmarok


Poprad


Liptovský Mikuláš


Ružomberok


Dolný Kubín