Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Info

Národný park Poloniny
Bukovské vrchy



Národný park Slovenský raj


Pieninský národný park (PIENAP)



Tatranský národný park (TANAP)


Národný park Nízke Tatry (NAPANT)


Národný park Muránska planina


Národný park Veľká Fatra


Národný park Malá Fatra

TOURISM from SK - Zemplín, Šariš, Spiš, Liptov, Orava, (region)
Articles
UNESCO Wooden churches
By Pogranicze SK
Published: 20.12.2013

   There is also a third type of wooden churches built in eastern Slovakia, mostly in the 18th century. First they were owned by the Greek Catholic denomination, later some of them were changed into Orthodox churches. The special features of the East Christian rite are reflected in their interior decoration and furniture where the unique Carpathian icons dominate. They are normally fitted into iconostases ornamented in the Baroque and Rococo styles.
   Wooden churches of the Slovak part of Carpathian Mountain Area, which were added to the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in 2008, possess an extraordinary worldwide value. The churches include: Roman Catholic churches in Hervartov and Tvrdošín, Evangelical articular churches in Kežmarok, Leštiny and Hronsek, and churches of Eastern rite in Bodružal, Ladomirová and Ruská Bystrá.


Hronsekarticled church,
Location
: Banskobystrický kraj, okres Banská Bystrica, Hronsek.

    The
wooden articled church was included in 2008, along with seven wooden churches of the Slovak part of Carpathian Mountain Area, on the UNESCO
Word Heritage List.
   The
wooden articled church
from 1726 is set in the wonderful environment of big lime trees. There are 1,100 chairs in this church. Its organ was fitted in 1764. Four bulky lime trees stand in its yard. Fine wooden belfry from 1726 stands nearby.
   The member of the Štúrs literary group, poet Andrej Sládkovič married the local girl Júlia Senkovičová in this church.


Leštinyarticled church,
Location
: Žilinský kraj, okres Dolný Kubín, Leštiny.

    The
wooden articled Evangelical church of 1688 with wooden belfry was included in 2008, along with seven wooden churches of the Slovak part of Carpathian Mountain Area, on the UNESCO
Word Heritage List.
   The lavishly painted interior decoration of the church is from the 17th and 18th centuries.
   Visitors are attracted especially by the main altar from the beginning of the 18th century, church pews with coats of arms, Renaissance baptistery of the 17th century, a copy of the burial flag of J. Zmeškal, and an epitaph of M. Meška of 1753.


TvrdošínAll Saints church,
Location
: Žilinský kraj, okres Tvrdošín, Tvrdošín.

   The pride of Tvrdošín and its oldest preserved building is the Gothic wooden Roman-Catholic
All Saints church (Kostol Všetkých svätých) situated in the local cemetery. In 2008, along with seven wooden churches of the Slovak part of Carpathian Mountain Area, it was included on the UNESCO
Word Heritage List.
    Its origins date back to the second half of the 15th century and it was rebuilt in Renaissance style in the 17th century. The
Baroque altar
from the end of the 17th century with the painting of All Saints dominates the interior of the church. Formerly, there was a low Gothic altar. Only one wing with the paintings of St Peter and St John the Baptist was preserved. The original central part of the altar, a painting of Bemoaning the Death of Christ from the 15th century was moved in 1919 to a museum in Budapest. The interior of the church was finished in the mid-17th century.
   Viewing the church, especially the paintings of the Apostles, the Late Renaissance pulpit with figures of the Evangelists from 1654, and a
painting of St George
mounted on a horse fighting a dragon (a distemper painting on wood from 1653) will draw the attention of any visitor. The wonderful dome paintings (a sky with stars, angels and a paneled ceiling) complement the Gothic mysticism of the space.
   Highly artistic and expert reconstruction and restoration of the church was awarded a prize by
EUROPA NOSTRA in 1993 and the church itself, as the National Cultural Monument, was included in the List of European cultural heritage.


KežmarokChurch of the Holy Trinity,
Location: Prešovský kraj, okres Kežmarok, Kežmarok.

    One of the best preserved Slovak wooden sacral buildings is the
articled Evangelical Church of the Holy Trinity (Kostol sv. Tojice) in Kežmarok. In 2008, along with seven wooden churches of the Slovak part of Carpathian Mountain Area, it was included on the UNESCO
Word Heritage List.
   The Evangelical church was built in 1717 next to an older sacral stone building from 1593, which today is a sacristy. This unique wooden building made of
yew and red spruce wood
was built without using a single metal component and its ground plan is in the form of a Greek cross.
   The Baroque interior of the church is also made of wood. Of immense artistic value is also the
church organ with wooden pipes.


Ruská BystráChurch of the relics of St. Nicholas,
Location: Košický kraj, okres Sobrance, Ruská Bystrá.

   The Greek Catholic wooden
Church of the relics of St. Nicholas the Bishop (Chrám Prenesenia ostatkov sv. Mikuláša - biskupa) was included in 2008, along with seven wooden churches of the Slovak part of Carpathian Mountain Area, on the UNESCO
Word Heritage List.
   The wooden church was built at the beginning of the 18th century, in the years
1720 to 1730. The log building consists of three parts. It is covered by shingle roof.
   The interior in the Baroque and Rococo style is from the beginning of the 18th century.


HervartovChurch of St Francis of Assisi,
Location: Prešovský kraj, okres Bardejov, Hervartov.

    The Roman Catholic wooden Church (Kostol sv. Františka z Assisi) is in 2008, along with seven wooden churches of the Slovak part of Carpathian Mountain Area, it was included on the UNESCO Word Heritage List;
- was built by the end of the 15th century (p
robably between 1499 and 1500).
   It is the oldest and best preserved wooden church in Slovakia. The Gothic pictures and wall paintings from 1655 and 1805 are the most valuable parts of its interior.

   One of the most valuable sacral buildings in Slovakia. Roman Catholic Church of St. Francis of Assisi in the Hervartov village is the oldest and the best preserved wooden church in Slovakia. It was built in the late 15th century made of red spruce having purely Gothic elements. Its uniqueness lies in the fact that it belongs. It has a two-part disposition, a nave and a chance. Sacristy and narthex under the massive conical tower are part of the church too. The furnishings of the church reflect its Roman Catholic features. Therefore although it does not include iconostasis it does have the main altar with valuable Gothic paintings from the late 15th century. The picture of the Last Supper from 1653 is also very valuable.

BodružalChurch of St Nicolas,
Location
: Prešovský kraj, okres Svidník, Bodružal.

    The Greek Catholic wooden
Church of St Nicolas (Chrám sv. Mikuláša) was included in 2008, along with seven wooden churches of the Slovak part of Carpathian Mountain Area, on the UNESCO
Word Heritage List.
   The wooden church from 1658 - the log building consists of three parts. Its shingle roof is dissected and has three little towers.
   The area of the church has a log fence with shingle tops. Remains of wall paintings from the 18th century survive in its interior. Iconostas and several icons are from the end of the 18th century.
   The church was completely reconstructed in 2004.


LadomirováSt Michael the Archangel,
Location
: Prešovský kraj, okres Svidník, Ladomirová.

    The Greek Catholic wooden church of
St Michael the Archangel (Chrám sv. Michala Archanjela) was included in 2008, along with seven wooden churches of the Slovak part of Carpathian Mountain Area, on the UNESCO
Word Heritage List.
   The wooden church
was built in 1742 without a single metal nail
. Independent belfry with column construction stands by the church. The area, part of which is a cemetery, has a log fence.
   Valuable iconostas and altar are from the mid-18th century. It is a five-row wooden architecture filled with icons, part of which was destroyed in the Second World War.

... photo...

... widok ze Starej Lubovny na Tatry - (photo zakapior)


Trenčiansky hrad - photo Frantisek

Info



Bratislava


Košice


Prešov


Michalovce


Sobrance


Snina


Humenné


Medzilaborce


Svidník


Bardejov


Levoča


Spišská Nová Ves


Stará Ľubovňa


Kežmarok


Poprad


Liptovský Mikuláš


Ružomberok


Dolný Kubín