Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Articles
... on the UNESCO from Ma這polska (PL)...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 20.08.2010

Wooden Architecture Route
Dear Visitor,

   251 most valuable and highly interesting historic wooden buildings form the Wooden Architecture Route in Ma這polska. Along the trail are picturesque Roman Catholic, Greek Catholic and Orthodox churches, tall bell-towers, Old Polish manor and detached houses, heritage parks, all of which are considered invaluable legacy of folk culture that stood the test of time.
   The Wooden Architecture Route came into existence in 2001 as a result of the efforts of Ma這polska Region. As soon as the design phase of the route was completed and working partnerships established with neighboring regions information boards and way finding signs were put in place.

    In 2003 four wooden churches in Ma這polska were entered onto the UNESCO World Cultural and Natural Heritage List. Among them are: the Parish Church of St. Michael the Archangel in Binarowa, the Parish Church of St. Michael the Archangel in D瑿no Podhala雟kie, St. Leonard’s Church in Lipnica Murowana and the Filial Church of St. Philip and St. Jacob in S瘯owa.
   In 2008 route signs were renewed and supplemented.
   We have high hopes that this service will prove informative and help you plan your itinerary for your trip to Ma這polska. We also invite your comments and feedback.

 * Lipnica Murowana - 15th
* Brunary Wy積e - 1797
* Kwiato - 17th
* Owczary - 1653
* S瘯owa - 16th
* Binarowa - 1500
* Powronik - 1600

   The Parish Church of St. Michael the Archangel in D瑿no Podhala雟kie was built in 1490, with a spire added in 1601. The church’s emergence is linked to the activity of the  Cistercians in Ludmierz, but the first reliable mention dates from 1335. The interior church walls are decorated by unique painting and polychrome work from the C15th-C16th, featuring geometric and floral motifs in a striped arrangement. Inside the church you can see: a late-gothic triptych in the main altar dating from the early C16th, a historical cross from 1380, a unique C15th xylophone and a tabernacle from the early C14th.
   In 2003 the building was entered onto the UNESCO World Heritage List.

Read More...



The Wooden Architecture route in D鉉rowa Tarnowska
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.08.2010

   All Saints’ Church - in D鉉rowa Tarnowska (1771) under the patronage of the canon of Kraków, Kajetan Potocki. The three-nave church is an  interesting example of baroque wooden architecture, recalling brick models. This basilica church possesses two chapels which form a transept. The interior, divided into naves by arcades, is covered by false vaulting. There is polychrome decoration in the late-baroque tradition which dates from the second half of the C19th. The majority of the fitting are rococo and date from the C18th. The oldest and most valuable work of art in the church is the C15th/C16th late-gothic crucifix.


Read More...



The Wooden Architecture route in Wierzchos豉wice
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 20.07.2010

   The “Wincenty Witos House” Museum in Wierzchos豉wice is a peasant’s farm house built by the “leader from Wierzchos豉wice” himself. He built the farm house on land he received with his wife’s dowry. The farm known as the Witos farm by the village inhabitants consists of a complex of wooden buildings arranged in a square: these are, a residence, a stable containing the permanent historical exhibition and museum office, two barns (one has an exhibition of the flags of peasant parties and organizations) and a cellar.


Read More...



The Wooden Architecture route in Wojnicz
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.07.2010

   St. Leonard’s Church in Wojnicz dates from the second half of the (C16th) and has come down to the present day almost unaltered. It is a single-nave building built using log construction and covered by a single-ridge roof. In the nave you can see false arched vaulting with coffering, while in the chancel there is a flat ceiling. The interior of the church is decorated by three neo-renaissance altars from the end of the C19th. The main altar contains four copies of C16th renaissance paintings, depicting: The Annunciation of the BVM and St. Leonard with chains, aith on the right St. Catherine, and on the left St Helena.


Read More...



The Wooden Architecture route in Tarn闚
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 20.06.2010

Tarnów

*The Church of the Holy Trinity, 1563 - 89,

*The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary,
-
known as “on the Burek” (the church is dedicated to: The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary; the parish is dedicated to: Our Lady of the Scapular) was erected before 1458, on the W靖ok stream. It is one of the oldest wooden  churches in Ma這polska (Lesser Poland). The pillar spire with a bell house, capped by a spherical cupola and lantern, was added in 1910. Inside, the flat coffered ceilings (in the nave) are covered by polychrome decoration from the 1930s  the work of Tadeusz Terlecki. On the north wall of the chancel you can make out the remnants of late renaissance ornamental polychrome from the C16th-C17th. The rococo main altar dates from the second half of the C18th, and its central panel has a C16th painting of Madonna with Child.

Read More...



The Wooden Architecture route in Zawada
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 20.05.2010

   St. Martin’s Parish Church in Zawada (C15th) stands on the crest of a hill. The church interior has impressive C20th polychrome decoration  figurative on the ceilings and ornamental on the walls. The oldest fitting elements are the four late-gothic bas-reliefs on the choir parapet. Another precious relic is the late-gothic crucifix from the beginning of the C16th. The early-baroque main altar from the first half of the C17th contains a painting of St. Martin which also dates from the same period. A curiosity is the chain, hung between the nave and chancel, which was probably produced by a blind pastor from a single piece of wood.
















Read More...



The Wooden Architecture route in Skrzysz闚
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.05.2010

   The Parish Church of St. Stanis豉w the Bishop in Skrzyszów was erected in (1517), and in the C18th the nave was enlarged and a pillar spire with  a gallery surrounding the bell house (a hourdis) was added. Towards the end of the C18th two large chapels, female and male, were added to the nave, forming a transept. The church walls and ceiling are covered by art nouveau polychrome from 1907 along with the remnants of older polychrome: late-gothic from around 1517 and rococo from 1777. Among the oldest and most interesting fitting elements are the late-gothic choir stalls in the chancel (turn of the C16th), on which you can make out the Tarnowski crest of arms - the Leliwa.


Read More...



The Wooden Architecture route the Ropa in S瘯闚ka Valley Route...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.04.2010

* Wysowa Zdój
   The Orthodox Church of St. Michael the Archangel (previously a Greek Catholic Church) was erected in 1779 on the site of a previous church which
burnt down in 1777 during fighting between the  Bar Confederates and the Russian Army. The church belongs to the group of West Lemko religious buildings. Originally it was tripartite but it is now a bipartite building - in 1910 the nave was enlarged to include the porch. The neo gothic polychrome decoration dates from 1912-13. The interior contains a complete C18th baroque iconostasis, while the north side of the nave has a baroque side alter with an icon of Our Lady.
Zakapior, Bohdan Zhukiewicz (photo bo, zakapior)
translated by Justyna Rymarowicz

 * Wysowa Zdój - 18th
* Wysowa Zdój - 1936-38
* Ha鎍zowa
- 19th
* Skwirtne - 1837
* Ucie Gorlickie - 1786
* Przys逝p - 1756
* Nowica
- 1642

* Bielanka - 1773
 * M璚ina - 1638
* Ropica Górna - 1813
* G豉dyszów - 1938
* G豉dyszów - 1857
* Zdynia - 1786
* Konieczna - 1903


* Kwiato
    The Greek Catholic Parish Church of St. Paraskevi (currently a Roman Catholic Auxiliary Church) arose in the second half of the C17th.  The church is a classic example of Lemko church architecture, and on account of its proportions is considered one of the most beautiful Orthodox churches in Poland. It was erected using log construction with shingled walls and roofs. The interior décor contains polychrome work with figurative and ornamental motifs dating from 1811. It has retained its fittings intact: an iconostasis (screen with icons) by M. Bogda雟ki from 1904, and in the chancel a C19th main altar as well as two side altars with icons of Madonna with Child and the Deposition.

* Owczary
    The Greek Catholic Parish Church of the Protection of the Mother of God
was built in 1653. The church was renovated repeatedly, and underwent a complete overhaul in the 1980s. At that time they restored the shingles on the walls and tented roofs, and the conservation work as a whole was awarded the Europa Nostra international prize. The interior is covered by polychrome decoration from 1938. The complete church fittings consist of: an C18th baroque iconostasis with a rare icon of Christ in the Tomb, two baroque side altars - the north one with an icon of Madonna with Child (C19th), and the south one with an icon of St. Nicholas (C18th).

Read More...



The Wooden Architecture route in Szymbark
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.03.2010

Zakapior

- The Greek Catholic Parish Church of the Nativity of the Mother of God - 1790-1821
- The Auxiliary Church of St. Adalbert - 1782
- Kasztel G豉dyszów

   The Folk Building Centre in Szymbark, a branch of the Courts of the Karwacjans and G豉dyszes Museum, has since September 1987 displayed  an exhibition of the folk building and culture of the inhabitants of Pogórze Gorlickie. It consists of over a dozen buildings dating from the end of the C19th and the beginning of the C20th, which are fitted out with their old furniture and appliances. Other attractions are the windmills from the early C20th, brought from Kryg and Ropa. Next to the renaissance castle stands an early C20th wooden manor house from Gorlice, the so called “drogomistrzówka”, inside of which an exhibition of courtly life has been set up.


Photo (Jan, Zakapior)

Read More...



The Wooden Architecture route in Bartne end Bodaki
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.02.2010

Zakapior

Bodaki - 1902 - the Greek Catholic Paris Church
* Bodaki - 1932 - the Filial Orthodox Church
* Bartne - 1842 - the Greek Catholic Parish Church
* Bartne - 1928-29 - the Orthodox Parish Church 


   The village of Bartne has Lemko buildings
, characteristic for the entire Lemko region. The typical old Lemko house was the so-called “chy瘸”„,”  which contained the whole household and farm under one roof. The building was divided by a threshing floor; on one side were the living quarters, while on the other was the stable, cowshed or sheepfold. The attics were most often used as places for storing the hay or corn. The houses were usually thatched. The walls were painted sky-blue, the windows decorated by borders with large black or white spots, and the space between the beams was white-washed with lime. The richest decoration is found in the East Lemko region.
Photo (Jan, Zakapior)

Read More...



Next »
... photo...
Info

Wooden churches in Slovakia


The wooden architecture route in Ma這polska


The S鉅ecki Ethnographic Park
(the heritage park)


Skansen w Szymbarku