Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Articles
The Wooden Architecture route - Pogórzanie
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.01.2010

Ptaszkowa
   The Parish Church of the Most Holy Name of the Virgin Mary
arose in 1555. The church’s builder was the carpenter Jan Joachim Kukla from Grybów. The building  is gothic in style and was erected using log construction. The figurative-ornamental polychrome from 1929-32 is the work of Józef Dutkiewicz. On the walls of the north porch you can see the remnants of C16th paintings of the patron and fragments of polychrome from 1795 which have a folk baroque character. The most precious relic among the fittings is the gothic sculpture of Madonna with Child from around 1420, found in the right side altar.


Wilczyska
   St. Stanislaw's Parish Church
was built in the C17th (1605 is cited as the exact date). A complete overhaul of the church took place in the C18th, with a chapel added in the  same period. The interior is covered by flat coffered ceilings. The rood loft is crowned by an ogee arch, and there is a baroque crucifix on the rood beam. The oldest relic among the fittings is the gothic stone font from 1486. The regency main altar from the second quarter of the C18th has a turn-of-the-C19th painting of St. Stanislaw the Bishop

Szalowa
   The Parish Church of St. Michael the Archangel
was erected in 1736 or 1739. It is a late-baroque, log-construction building with partially shingled walls. A tripartite  church, it has a basilica layout. The chancel is the same width as the main nave, with two sacristies attached to its sides. The interior of the church is adorned with baroque-rococo illusionist and figurative polychrome along with rich C18th fittings. It is worth paying attention to the interesting painted and sculpted decoration of the wall and rood beam the painting on the wall supplements the sculpted representation of the Crucifixion Group.
Bohdan Zhukiewicz


Ropa
   The Parish Church of St. Michael the Archangel
arose in 1761. It was founded by the village landlords - Wilhelm and Petronela Siemieński. The church was erected in the baroque style with finials recalling Lemko Orthodox Church architecture. The body of the church is wooden, log-construction, and has shingled walls. Two brick spires were added in around 1800, and in 1956 a new sacristy was attached to the chancel. The polychrome decoration with figurative motifs dates from the second half of the C19th. The main altar and two side altars from the first half of the C19th recall the baroque tradition.


Rożnowice
   The Filial Auxiliary Church of St. Andrew
arose in 1756-64 on the site of a previous church. The late-baroque décor of the interior is emphasized by  wooden imitation columns which support the flattened arches of the arcades and the sinuously curved rood beam. The polychrome decoration with floral and geometric motifs was carried out by J. Kozicki in 1787 and discovered by restorers in 1970-75. The three rococo altars date from the C18th. The main altar houses rotating alcoves with sculptures of St. Andrew, Madonna with Child”,” the Sorrowful Christ and the Risen Christ.


Libusza
   The Church of the Nativity of the BVM
is one of the most beautiful wooden churches in Poland. It was built in around 1513. After a fire (1986) in which nothing but the sacristy, charred walls and a beautiful folk cross survived, rebuilding only commenced in 1996. The interior is covered by flat ceilings, and both late-gothic portals crowned by ogee arches have been reconstructed. It is a log-construction church, with shingled walls. A spire was added to the west side of the church in 1609.
Bohdan Zhukiewicz

Worked out by Bohdan Zhukiewicz
translated by JR

... photo...
Info

Wooden churches in Slovakia


The wooden architecture route in Małopolska


The Sądecki Ethnographic Park
(the heritage park)


Skansen w Szymbarku