Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
The Wooden Architecture route the Ropa in Sękówka Valley Route...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.04.2010

Wysowa Zdój
   The Parish Church of the Assumption of the BVM arose 1936-38 on the basis of a design by Z. Mączeński. The building style recalls the traditional architecture of the region. The walls were erected using an unusual post frame construction and then boarded. The internal layout is single-nave, with a narrower chancel which is closed on three sides and has a sacristy attached. Inside flat ceilings have been used, while the nave is partially covered by false arched vaulting resting on columns. The church is furnished with a baroque main altar from the C18th or C19th, brought from another church. It contains a painting of the Assumption of the BVM.

   The Orthodox Parish Church of the Protection of the Mother of God (previously the Greek Catholic parish church of the same name)  was set up in the second half of the C19th. It is a typical West Lemko Orthodox church built using log construction with shingled walls. The figurative-ornamental polychrome and the iconostasis by Antoni, Michał and Zygmunt Bogdański date from the C19th. The chancel contains a baroque main altar while the nave has two side altars with icons of Christ Handing the Keys to St. Peter and the Protection of the Mother of God (Pokrov).

   The Greek Catholic filial Church of St. Cosmas and St. Damian (currently a Roman Catholic filial Church) was built  in 1837. It is one of the most beautiful West Lemko Orthodox Churches. The tripartite building was erected using log construction and the walls and roof were shingled. The interior is adorned with ornamental-figurative polychrome from 1900. Between the nave and chancel a contemporary, iconostasis-like screen has been set up, while the remnants of the old turn-of-the-C19th iconostasis have been placed on the walls. The chancel contains a main altar with a canopy and tabernacle from the mid-C19th.

Uście Gorlickie
   The Greek Catholic Parish Church of St. Paraskevi dates from 1786. In the second half of the C20th it was used as a  Roman Catholic Church, but since 1951 and the return of some of the Lemkos, Greek Catholic services have also been held in it. It is a West Lemko church built using log construction with shingled walls. The figurative-ornamental polychrome work was applied in 1938. The fittings include an C18th late-baroque iconostasis which is interesting due to the rare sculptures on the antependia (below the Mother of God icon there is a representation of Adam and Eve, and below the Christ Teaching icon - the prophets).

   The Greek Catholic Church of St. Michael the Archangel was built in 1756 and reconstructed in 1880. It is a  tripartite church built in the north-western Lemko style, of log-framework structure. The pillar-framework tower, accessed through a vestibule, has inclined walls with a false overhung loft. The church features ridge roof covered with sheet metal and topped with turrets with sheet-metal bulbous domes. The tiny interior is adorned with polychrome decoration (1929) with images of the Holy Trinity and St. Michael the Archangel. The 18th century iconostasis has been brought here from another Orthodox church in 1880. The presbytery features a main altarpiece of the 1800s and the nave a small late-baroque side altarpiece with an icon of St. Nicolas.

The Greek Catholic Church of St. Paraskevia was most probably built in 1842-43. This tripartite church of the very late western Lemko style  has log-framework structure. The church walls are shingled while the roof and turrets with false lanterns topping them covered with sheet metal. The tower, with inclined walls and a false overhung loft, has pillar-framework construction. The church interior is adorned with polychrome decoration (1927). Between the nave and the presbytery is an 18th century main altarpiece while the nave features a late-baroque side altarpiece (second half of the 1700s) with icons showing the Blessed Virgin Mary with the Child and St. John the Baptist.

   The Greek Catholic church of the Mother of God’s Care was built in 1773 and in 1947 a fire destroyed its roofs. It was restored to its  original shape as late as 2000. The walls of the nave, presbytery and tower as well as the church roofs are shingled. The bulbous domes are covered with sheet metal. The upper section of the tower is painted blue. The interior is adorned with ornamental and figural polychrome decoration (1913). Other notable items inside the church are an iconostasis of 1783 and several icons (1600s and 1700s). Currently, the faithful of three denominations can practice here as Orthodox, Greek Catholic and Roman Catholic services are held here.

   The Church of St. Antony arose in 1638. In the C18th a spire and chapel were added onto the nave. The uniform tin roof covers the  nave and the narrower chancel, which is closed on three sides. On the north wall of the spire is a clock an element rarely found in wooden architecture. The interior is covered by flat ceilings decorated with polychrome work from 1888. The church contains C18th late baroque altars: in the main one there is a painting of Ecce Homo, while in the side ones there are representations of Our Lady of the Rosary and St. Antony. It is worth paying attention to the C17th wooden baroque font.

Ropica Górna
   The Greek Catholic filial church of St. Michael the Archangel (currently a Roman Catholic filial church) arose in 1813 or 1819. The church has a tripartite  construction, with an elongated nave and an almost square narthex and chancel. The church interior is covered by flat ceilings. The walls and ceilings are decorated with polychrome work from the turn of the C2-th with ornamental and figurative motifs. The fittings include a rococo iconostasis from the mid-C18th (in the row of sovereign icons there is an icon of St. Onufry, rarely found in this region), a late-baroque main altar with a canopy and tabernacle, and two baroque side altars.

   The Orthodox Parish Church of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist was erected in 1857 as a Greek Catholic Chapel. In  1914 it was extended when it took on the function of the parish church, after the other church burnt down. The walls of the oldest part are log, covered with shingles, while the antechamber was built using post-frame construction. The interior of the church is divided by the wall of the iconostasis into a nave and a chancel, closed on three sides. In the chancel there is folk polychrome with a large depiction of the Holy Trinity. The iconostasis belonging to the church dates from the C20th.

   The Greek Catholic Parish Church of the Ascension of Our Lord was built in 1938-39 by Hutsul carpenters. The origin of the builders  resulted in an unusual church, which does, however, manage to enchant with its beauty and proportions. The church was erected to the Greek cross plan. The iconostasis - as a result of the outbreak of World War II - could not be completed. The fittings consist of: a main altar with a canopy and tabernacle, two rococo side altars, one with an icon of The Crucifixion (C18th), the other with Madonna with Child (C18th). In recent years an iconostasis has been built - at once bringing to a close the work begun at the end of the 1930s.

   The Orthodox Parish church of the Protection of the Mother of God (previously a Greek Catholic church) arose  in 1786 or 1795. It is a tripartite building, with an almost square chancel and nave and a rectangular narthex. The walls are log-construction and shingled. There is architectonic-ornamental polychrome work dating from 1924. The church fittings consist of: an c18th late-baroque iconostasis and, in the chancel, a rococo main alter in the form of a canopy with an icon of the Crucifixion from the end of the c18th a late-baroque sacrificial table with an icon of the Patriarch Saints, also from the c18th.

   The Greek Catholic church of St. Basil the Great (currently a Orthodox church) was built in 1903-1905. It is a tripartite oriented church (its presbytery faces east). Its roofs, tower walls and a section of the presbytery are covered with sheet metal. The tower features log structure in the lower part and frame construction in the upper part. The interior is covered with a false barrel vault with polychrome decoration imitating the starry sky. The polychrome decoration of the walls comes from 1938. Brought here from Drohobycz in 1912, the iconostasis (early 20th century) is valuable because of its unusual stepwise layout of the icon.

... photo...

Wooden churches in Slovakia

The wooden architecture route in Małopolska

The Sądecki Ethnographic Park
(the heritage park)

Skansen w Szymbarku