Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Articles
The Wooden Architecture route in Krynica Zdrój end Tylicz end Powroźnik
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.12.2009


   The
Auxiliary Church of the Transfiguration of Our Lord and Our Lady of Częstochowa in Krynica Zdrój arose in 1863 as the first health resort church (the so-called chapel on the “Dietlówka”). The church was designed by the architect F. Księgarski in the baroque style. It was built using log construction, in the shape of an octagon combined with a Greek cross, and was covered by a shingled roof with a lantern. The church fittings consist of two altars from the turn of the C20th with paintings of Our Lady of Częstochowa and The Transfiguration of Our Lord. Next to the church is a wooden cross from 1910 commemorating the 500th anniversary of the battle of Grunwald.

   The Filial Greek Catholic Church of the Protection of the Mother of God
in Krynica-Słotwiny (currently the Roman Catholic Parish Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus) dates from 1887-88. The church was built in the West Lemko church building style, though it significantly diverges from the classic layout. The current church fittings, mainly transferred in the 1950s from the parish church in the spa part of Krynica, consist of: a main altar with a painting of the Sacred Heart of Jesus from 1898 and neo-renaissance side altars from the end of the C19th. Of the old church fittings only fragments of an iconostasis have been preserved.
Bohdan Zhukiewicz

Photo (Jan, Zakapior)


   The Parish Church of St. Peter and St. Paul
in Tylicz was founded  in 1612 by the bishop Piotr Tylicki. It was erected using log construction with the walls vertically boarded. The interior layout is single-nave, with a narrower chancel that is closed on three sides and has a sacristy attached to the north. The polychrome work with ornamental and figurative motifs was carried out in 1960 by K. Morway and K. Puchała. In and near the chancel there are three rococo altars dating from the second half of the C18th, including the main altar with a marvellous painting of Madonna with Child (known as the Tylicz Madonna) from the turn of the C17th.

   The Greek Catholic Parish Church of St. Cosmas and St. Damian in Tylicz
 (currently a Roman Catholic Cemetery Church)  was built in 1743. A tripartite West Lemko church, it was erected using log construction with the walls boarded and fastened with clamps. Alongside the nave by the iconostasis are two rooms for singers, the so-called kliroi, which do not appear anywhere else in the Lemko region. Currently they fulfil the role of side chapels. The figurative-ornamental polychrome work dating from 1938 is thematically linked to the 950th anniversary celebrations of the Conversion of Rus. The C18th late-baroque iconostasis is incomplete.
Bohdan Zhukiewicz

Photo (Jan, Zakapior)

... photo...
Info

Wooden churches in Slovakia


The wooden architecture route in Małopolska


The Sądecki Ethnographic Park
(the heritage park)


Skansen w Szymbarku