Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
The Wooden Architecture route in Bartne end Bodaki
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.02.2010

   The Greek Catholic Parish Church of St. Cosmas and St. Damian in Bartne arose in 1842. In the C18th a spire was added. After World War II the church lay in disuse and was partially destroyed. Currently it is a museum building, administered by the District Museum in Nowy Sącz. It is a typical West-Lemko church, built using log construction and covered with shingles. The fittings of the church are: a late-baroque C18th iconostasis (with sovereign icons from the C16th), a side altar with an icon of The Crucifixion from 1797, and the unique C18th icons: Madonna with Child and Christ Pantocrator.

   The Orthodox Parish Church of St. Cosmas and St. Damian in Bartne was built in 1928-29. Between 1947 and 1958 it lay unused, until the return of the Lemkos, when it was turned back into an Orthodox parish. The church uses the traditional Lemko building style, but you can see evidence of the influence of Orthodox church architecture from the area of present-day Ukraine. It is log construction, boarded and covered with tin. The church fittings include an iconostasis, formed from contemporary icons (the pre-war iconostasis was carried away to the “Recovered Territories”) and in the nave there are two side altars

   The Greek Catholic Paris Church of St. Demetrius in Bodaki (currently a Roman Catholic Church) was erected in 1902 ”,” probably making use of elements of an earlier church from 1742. The building is log-construction with vertically boarded and molded walls. The church interior is decorated by polychrome work from the beginning of the C20th (the north wall of the nave has a depiction of St. Cyril and St. Methodius”,” while the south wall has St. Olga and St. Włodzimierz). The church fittings include: an iconostasis by A. H. Szajna from Rymanów produced in 1902”,” and in the chancel - the main altar and an C18th painting of Our Lady of Częstochowa_.

The Filial Orthodox Church of St. Demetrius in Bodaki was built in 1932 as a provisional church (czasownia). It is a small church, without a spire, with log walls which are vertically boarded. The interior is modest, with no traditional, richly decorated iconostasis. In its place there is a wooden partition, with contemporary icons and paintings installed in an order corresponding to the iconostasis. Remnants of the older décor include the Royal Doors with floral decoration and medallions of the four evangelists, and a C20th neo-gothic feretory.

... photo...

Wooden churches in Slovakia

The wooden architecture route in Małopolska

The Sądecki Ethnographic Park
(the heritage park)

Skansen w Szymbarku