Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Articles
The Wooden Architecture route in Pieniny...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.04.2016



   The Auxiliary Church of St. Martin
in Grywałd dates from the second half of the C15th. It represents an older type of wooden churches in  Małopolska. The main feature of the building is the spire, which has a wide base and walls that significantly narrow as they rise, with a conspicuously overhanging bell-house. The church is made more picturesque by the boarded external arcade (soboty). The chancel and nave have retained polychrome work from 1618. The fittings include three altars, with the main one containing an interesting late-gothic triptych from the early C16th. The painting in the central pane depicts St. Martin sitting on a white horse at the moment when he cuts off a part of his rich cloak for a lame beggar.



   St. Catherine’s Church in Sromowce Niżne probably arose in (1513). Towards the end of the 1980s a new brick church was erected which took over the function of the parish church. The old church was built using log construction with vertically boarded and molded walls. The nave and chancel are the same width and are covered by a uniform shingled polygonal roof. The interior ceilings are flat. A precious relic is the gothic triptych from the end of the C14th with a copy of a sculpture of Madonna with Child. Two wings of a C15th triptych and a C16th wooden gothic font were moved to the new church.
Bohdan Zhukiewicz



   The architectural features of Polana Sosny (The Pine-tree Clearing)
in Niedzica include a manor house and a cottage characteristic of the Spis region. The larch- wood manor from Grywałd was built at the turn of the 1700s and the 1800s. After it had been brought over here its original construction was recreated, as well as the original features of the walls, ceilings, the roof and side elevations. By preserving some authentic items of the period, the interior makes the visitor feel the ambience of a 19th-century Polish manor. The Spis-style cottage from Łapsze Niżne was originally built in the early 20th century, then moved over here, reconstructed and ultimately converted into a hotel. Inside are many original items. In 2005, a regional highlanders’ cottage (created by combining an old mill from Czarny Dunajec and the ‘Cottage of Kiry’) was added to the houses already standing here.



   The Granary
in Niedzica dates from the end of the C18th. It is one of the farm buildings of the old castle estate, and has retained its original form down to the present day. It was erected using log construction, with logs joined “na obłap” (interlocking), and has almost square proportions. The granary interior has been adapted for an exhibition devoted to Spiš folk culture. Noteworthy are the collection of clocks from Slovakian Kieżmark, female dresses and the wooden shrines set up at the entrance to the granary. The granary currently belongs to the Castle Complex in Niedzica.



   The Czorsztyn Tourist Settlement
in Kluszkowce is located on the Stylchyn hill on the banks of Lake Czorsztyn. It was set up in the 1990s as a result of the building of a reservoir. The buildings were moved to the new site while retaining their original form and function. Somme of them were later adapted to tourist needs.





   The Cemetery Chapel of St. Sebastian in Maniowy was moved, together with the cemetery, to Nowe Maniowy in 1987-88. The chapel in Stare Maniowy was located in the  country cemetery on the Dunajec River. It was built in 1722 by the inhabitants of Maniowy and the surrounding area out of gratitude for surviving the plague. The chapel was erected using larch wood and log construction. The walls are shingled and underneath the external arcade (soboty) there is no boarding. On the west side of the roof there is a bell turret, crowned by a small cupola with a spire.

Zakapior

... photo...
Info

Wooden churches in Slovakia


The wooden architecture route in Małopolska


The Sądecki Ethnographic Park
(the heritage park)


Skansen w Szymbarku