Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Articles
... on the UNESCO from Małopolska (PL)...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 20.08.2018



   St Leonard’s Church
in Lipnica Murowana dates from the end of the C15th and is one of the oldest and most precious wooden churches in Małopolska, entered onto the UNESCO
 World Heritage List in 2003. According to tradition it was built in 1141 on the site of a pagan temple hence, supposedly, the so-called Światowid’s pillar, a back support for the St. Leonard altar. The church’s interior is decorated by painting (polychrome) from various periods, from the end of the C15th to the beginning of the C18th. The chancel is decorated with: The Crucifixion, The Last Supper and the Last Judgment, while the nave has scenes from The Passion and The Ten Commandments. Among the precious fittings are: a rare processional feretrum with a bas-relief of the Holy Trinity and a music box (still working).





Brunary Wyżne

   The
Greek Catholic Parish Church of St. Michael the Archangel
(currently the Roman Catholic Parish Church of the Assumption of the BVM) dates from 1797.  The building, despite later alterations, has retained the most important features of a West Lemko church. The interior is capped by a flat ceiling with cornices. The polychrome decoration, which has rococo-classical architectonic and floral motifs, was carried out by Antoni and Józef Bogdański in 1898. Fragments of older baroque polychrome work from the end of the C18th are visible in the nave. The C18th baroque iconostasis was repainted during repair work in 1831.





* Kwiatoń
    The Greek Catholic Parish Church of St. Paraskevi (currently a Roman Catholic Auxiliary Church) arose in the second half of the (C17th).  The church is a classic example of Lemko church architecture, and on account of its proportions is considered one of the most beautiful Orthodox churches in Poland. It was erected using log construction with shingled walls and roofs. The interior décor contains polychrome work with figurative and ornamental motifs dating from 1811. It has retained its fittings intact: an iconostasis (screen with icons) by M. Bogdański from 1904, and in the chancel a C19th main altar as well as two side altars with icons of Madonna with Child and the Deposition.

* Owczary
    The Greek Catholic Parish Church of the Protection of the Mother of God was built in (1653). The church was renovated repeatedly, and underwent a complete overhaul in the 1980s. At that time they restored the shingles on the walls and tented roofs, and the conservation work as a whole was awarded the Europa Nostra international prize. The interior is covered by polychrome decoration from 1938. The complete church fittings consist of: an C18th baroque iconostasis with a rare icon of Christ in the Tomb, two baroque side altars - the north one with an icon of Madonna with Child (C19th), and the south one with an icon of St. Nicholas (C18th).





* Sękowa
 The church of St Philip and St James the Apostles,
- is one of the most beautiful monuments of wooden architecture in Poland. It was erected at the beginning of the (16" century) what is testified by a late gothic baptismal font in the form of a chalice with an engraved (date 1522).  The characteristic silhouette of the church is unique due to the steep roof joining the roofs of the arcading (the so-called soboty) and finally almost reaching the ground. Among interesting architectural details there is a late gothic portal and windows in the choir closed with keel arches. The most valuable furnishings of the church are as follows: panel painting in the high alter depicting saints Nicholas, Anthony and Bernard of Siena dated to the 16" century and an old relief over the mensal with the presentation of Death of Virgin Mary surrounded by the Apostles.
     Since 1883 art historians and conservators demonstrated a great interest in the church. It is depicted in the drawings of Stanisław Wyspiański, Józef Mehoffer, Władysław Tetmajer and other artists of the epoch.
   During the First World War Austrian and Hungarian army devastated the church thoroughly, demolishing it to strengthen the trenches and for making fire; the furnishing were also destroyed completely. Immediately after the military actions stopped senator Władysław Długosz started, and most probably financed, the reconstruction of the church.


* Binarowa
    The Parish Church of St. Michael the Archangel was erected
in (around 1500). It is a log building surrounded by a covered veranda (soboty),  with a post-frame construction spire added in 1596. The interior is a decorative art gallery: the ceiling has precious paintings from the beginning of the C16th, while the walls have baroque biblical cycles and in the chapel there is unique polychrome decoration from 1655. The most precious church fittings are the gothic sculptures dating from the end of the C14th: Madonna with Child, and the bas-reliefs of St. Margaret, St. Dorothy, St. Catherine and St. Barbara, found in the side altars. In 2003 the church was entered onto the UNESCO World Heritage List.


... photo...
Info

Wooden churches in Slovakia


The wooden architecture route in Małopolska


The Sądecki Ethnographic Park
(the heritage park)


Skansen w Szymbarku