Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Articles
Podbeskidzie...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.02.2015



   The Parish Church of St. Peter and St. Paul
in Lachowice arose in the years 1789-91, founded by Teresa Wielopolska on the site of a  cemetery chapel from 1707. It is one of the most beautiful wooden churches in Małopolska, selected in 2003 to be entered onto the UNESCO World Heritage List. The church is surrounded by a protruding, partially boarded external arcade (soboty), which houses Stations of the Cross from 1846, produced by Antoni Krząstkiewicz. The interior fittings, predominantly baroque, date from the early C19th. The main altar contains paintings of Madonna with Child (C17th) and St. Peter and St. Paul. The interior walls are adorned with C19th figurative and ornamental polychrome decoration.



   The old Parish Church of St. Mary Magdalene arose in 1606 on the site of the first Rabka church from 1565, which was destroyed as  a result of a fire or flood. The vaulting and walls are covered by rococo-classical figurative and ornamental polychrome work from 1802. Fragments of older, early-baroque polychrome work from 1628 have also been retained. The baroque main altar, from around the mid-C19th, is adorned with paintings of The Holy Trinity, St. Francis and St. Dominic. The current church is no longer used for religious purposes - since 1936 it has housed the Władysław Orkan Regional Museum, which has a rich collection of folk sculptures.



   The Church of the Holy Cross “on Obidowa” in Rdzawka arose in 1757 on the site of a previous chapel, under the patronage of Jan  Wielopolski, the Sandomierz governor (voivode). It was partially destroyed by fire in 1994, after which it was soon rebuilt. The church is log-construction, and the chancel and part of the nave are bordered by an external arcade (soboty). The figurative, ornamental and architectonic polychrome that decorates the walls and ceilings dates from 1901 and underwent conservation and the addition of new elements in 1975. The original late-baroque fittings were consumed by fire and only partially reconstructed after the fire.



   The Parish Church of St. Simon and St. Jude Thaddeus in Łętownia was erected in the years 1760-65 under the patronage of  the then landlady of Łętownia and Łopuszna - Barbara nee Janicki Lisicka, as the third church on this spot. The baroque church was built using log construction, with vertically boarded and mounded walls. The polychrome work has mainly floral motifs and dates from the end of the C18th. Precious church fittings include: rococo altars from the second half of the C18th; a rococo pulpit from around 1779; Stations of the Cross painted on canvas with rococo frames, and the organ and casing from the third quarter of the C17th.



   St. Adalbert’s Parish Church in Krzeczów, which displays gothic features, dates from the turn of the C18th. In 1760 it was moved to its  present site from Łętownia, at the same time acquiring a spire. The church was built using log construction with vertically boarded and mounded walls, and has shingled roofs. The church interior is adorned with C18th figurative-ornamental polychrome work. The C17th main altar contains a late-gothic painting of Madonna with Child, known as the Krzeczów Madonna, and dating from the C16th. Also noteworthy are the baroque pulpit, C18th font and two wings of a C16th late-gothic triptych.

... photo...
Info

Wooden churches in Slovakia


The wooden architecture route in Małopolska


The Sądecki Ethnographic Park
(the heritage park)


Skansen w Szymbarku