Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Articles
Spisz, Podhale...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.04.2015

Nowy Targ





   The
Parish Church of the Nativity of the BVM in Harklowa was built  in around 1500 on the site of a previous church. The building”,” erected using log construction and surrounded by an external arcade (_soboty_)”,” retains the mass of a gothic church. The interior has retained authentic decorative elements from the period the church was built. These are above all the two gothic lancet arch portals”,” which pass into a barely accentuated ogee arch; the remnants of polychrome decoration of the patron saint from 1500”,” and late-baroque altars - the main one houses paintings from the original early-C16th gothic triptych.



   The Parish Church of the Holy Trinity in Łopuszna was erected in the  second half of the C15th and consecrated in 1504. The church belongs to the older type of gothic wooden churches - it has a chancel ending in a straight wall, with a chapel attached to it from the outside. Inside the church you can marvel at the ornamental polychrome decoration of the ceilings which dates from 1935, while the remnants of polychrome work from 1500 are still visible on the choir loft parapet. The most precious church fittings are: a C15th gothic triptych with a scene from the Coronation of Our Lady, placed on the main altar, as well as two baroque altars.



    The Manor House Estate in Łopuszna, which consists of a manor house and farm buildings, arose in 1787-90. It switched landlords repeatedly, and towards the end of the C19th was taken over by the Tetmajers. The main building is a typical nobleman’s country manor house - covered by a hipped, shingled roof, with a columned porch and a baroque garret. It currently houses the Museum of Nobleman Culture (a branch of the Tatry Museum), displaying the old abode of the moderately wealthy nobility. Among the things you can see is the interior of a manor-house kitchen and an ethnographic exhibition of C19th Podhale interiors.



   St. Elizabeth’s Church
in Trybsz probably arose in 1567. It was built  using log construction with the walls shingled and strengthened by interlocking planking. During repair work in 1924 the bell-house spire and sacristy were dismantled. The interior walls and ceilings have late-baroque polychrome decoration from 1647, with depictions of the saints. Also noteworthy are the Assumption and Coronation of Our Lady on the chancel ceiling, painted against the backdrop of a panorama of the Tatras. Few of the old historical fittings have been preserved, with the majority moved to the new brick parish church.



Jurgów

    The complex of shelters in the Podokólne Clearing near Jurgów numbers 56 pastoral shelters which feature on the register of historical buildings. They were moved to the current location in 1879 from 90 clearings in the Jaworzyna Tatras, as a result of the loss of pastureland belonging to the inhabitants of Jurgów. Prince Hohenlohe set up a hunting range on the land. At that time around 100 shelters were brought to Podkólne, thus establishing the largest summer paste land in the Tatras and Podtatrze, still functioning in the last quarter of the C20th. The preserved shelters are a precious historical monument of the disappearing pastoral material culture.

Jurgów

    The Sołtys Farm House - Spiš Folk Culture Museum consists of two buildings: one a residence - set gable-end on to the road and the other a farm building - its continuation. The farm house was built in 1861 by Jakub Sołtys. The cottage was covered by a half-gable shingled roof, while the farm building had a boarded gable roof. Since 1981 the farm house has belonged to the Tatra Museum in Zakopane, which after repairs (1982-1985) set up a museum branch here. The ethnographic exhibition displays an impoverished Spiš peasant farm from the turn of the C20th.





Jurgów

   The
Parish Church of St. Sebastian and Our Lady of the Rosary in Jurgów probably dates from the year 1675, and was founded by the village  administrator Jakub Kesz and the miller Mikołaj. The brick sacristy and St. Joseph’s Chapel date from 1935. The walls are log-construction and completely covered in shingles, decoratively carved into a herring-bone pattern. The rococo polychrome decoration with figurative, geometrical and floral motifs dates from 1813, and during the inter-war period it was repainted by Kazimierz Piętka. The church fittings are mainly rococo (C18th); the main altar is adorned with a figure of Our Lady of the Rosary and sculptures of St. Peter and St. Paul.



Białka Tatrzańska
   The
Church of St. Simon and St. Jude Thaddeus the Apostles
in Białka Tatrzańska was built in around 1700 by the local carpenters -  Jędrzej Topór and Jan Chlipalski. The church ceased to perform the function of parish church in the 1920s, when a new brick church came into use. The interior has retained remnants of figurative polychrome from the mid-C19th. The numerous sculptures on the church ceiling and walls catch the eye, including those by the folk artist Wojciech Kułach. The church fittings, mainly late-baroque and rococo, include: altars with polychrome decoration, a pulpit from 1780 and C19th Stations of the Cross.



Bukowina Tatrzańska



Bukowina Tatrzańska
   The Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Bukowina Tatrzańska was erected in 1887-1900 under the patronage of Jędrzej Kramarz.  The brick nave and chancel have plastered and white-washed walls, but the other parts of the church are wooden, built using log construction. Since 1982 the church has been used only sporadically, with sweeping repairs undertaken after a fire in 1995. The interior is covered by false arched vaulting and decorated with figurative polychrome work from 1937, applied by Paweł Palke. The wooden altars were produced in 1907. The main altar contains a statue of the Heart of Jesus, while the side altars have paintings of Our Lady and St. Joseph.

... photo...
Info

Wooden churches in Slovakia


The wooden architecture route in Małopolska


The Sądecki Ethnographic Park
(the heritage park)


Skansen w Szymbarku