Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.05.2015

   The "Harenda Villa"
was built in 1920 by Jan Kluś Fudala and intended as a guest house. In 1923 it was bought by the outstanding poet Jan Kasprowicz. The villa is an example of the so-called second Zakopane style, which developed in the inter war years. Since 1950 it has housed a museum devoted to the life and work of the poet. Exhibits include: manuscripts, photographs, books, furniture, and pastel portraits by Stanisław Ignacy Witkiewicz. Nearby, there is a granite mausoleum, built in the years 1927-1933, which holds the ashes of the poet and his wife. It was designed by Karol Stryjeński on the initiative of Maria Kasprowiczowa.

   The "Koliba" Villa
, Kościeliska St. 18, was founded by Zygmunt Gnatowski and erected in 1892-1893, based on a design by Stanisław  Witkiewicz. It became the first example of the Zakopane style. The name “Koliba” comes from the dialect term for a shepherd’s hut. In late 1993 the villa became the home of the Stanisław Witkiewicz Museum of the Zakopane Style (a branch of the Tatra Museum in Zakopane). Inside the building you can marvel at the Zakopane style interior, arranged by Władysław Hasior, including a dining room (with Zygmunt Gnatowski’s ethnographic collections), a salon with furniture by Stanisław Witkiewicz and portraits of him painted by Jacek Malczewski, a bedroom and a study.

   The complex of Goral wooden buildings on Kościeliska St. the oldest street in Zakopane, brings together the most  interesting C19th Goral huts. Here, at the fork of the Młyniska and Cicha Woda torrents, Zakopane was born. Many of the houses have retained their historical character, and more than a dozen of the Goral huts, dating mainly from the second half of the C19th, are buildings featuring on the heritage list. On the stretch between the old church and Skibówki, Kościeliska St. has the character of a living heritage park, and forms an integrated historical unit. The wooden church built in the mid-C19th gave this part of the street its aura of being the centre of the village.

   The Chapel of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Jaszczurówka, founded by the Uznański family, was built in 1904-07 in the Zakopane  style, based on a design by Stanisław Witkiewicz. The building was erected by goral carpenters under the supervision of Aurelian Blacha, who was probably the designer of the main altar. On both sides of the wood-carved altar there are colourful stained-glass windows on the right, Our Lady of Częstochowa with the Polish emblem, and on the left, Our Lady of Ostrobrama with the Lithuanian emblem. The side altars by the folk sculptor Józef Janos from Dębno were added in 1954.

   The complex of folk wooden architecture
, characteristic of Skalne Podhale, ensures the priceless historical value of Chochołów. The houses stand with their gable-ends on to the road, creating a traditional village layout, known as ulicówka (a one-road village with compact building on both sides of the road). The buildings are rectangular and covered with shingled, half-gable roofs. The walls are log-construction and boarded annually each spring so that they retain a bright wood colour. A curiosity is building no. 24, known as the “hut from One Fir”. It belongs to Anna Styrcula”,” and its logged walls were erected towards the end of the C19th”,” using the trunk of a single fir tree cut down on the nearby Ostrysz hill.

   The Bafia Peasant - Chochołów Uprising Museum, a branch of the Tatra Museum in Zakopane, was erected in 1798, and rebuilt in 1889. The farm house belonged to Jan Bafia. The walls are log-construction and built using wide logs. The half-gable roof is decorated with
"słoneczko" (rays of the setting sun) and a "pazdur" (a small spire). Inside the hut a museum exhibition has been set up devoted to the Chochołów Uprising, which broke out on 22 july 1846 - portayed against the backdrop of the typical interiors of goral huts from the mid-C19th. In the black (living) room everyday utensils have been collected, while in the white (bed) room there are fastive objects.

   The Church of Our Lady of the Scapular in Witów was erected in 1910-1912 based on a design by Jan  Tarczałowicz, a Zakopane architect. The church was consecrated on 16 July 1912 on the Saint’s Day of Our Lady of the Scapular. It is a log-construction building with walls vertically boarded on both the inside and outside. The church is surrounded by an arcade recalling the old soboty. The neo-gothic main altar is the work of the firm of Ferdynand Prinoth from St. Ulrich in Tyrol. There are stained glass windows from 1937. In the 1980s the church interior was decorated by the Zakopane sculptor Michał Gąsienica-Szostak.

... photo...

Wooden churches in Slovakia

The wooden architecture route in Małopolska

The Sądecki Ethnographic Park
(the heritage park)

Skansen w Szymbarku