Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.03.2015

   The Józef Żak Heritage Park
in Zawoja Markowa was set up in 1973 on the initiative of Józef Żak, the long-running  president of the PTTK’s Babia Góra Branch in Sucha Beskidzka. The present plot of land was bought then along with the peasant hut from 1900 which stood there and belonged to Franciszek Kudzia. An exhibition was set up inside devoted to mountain tourism and it was also used as a  Research Station for the PTTK. In the 1980s Stefan Gancarczyk’s early-C20th hut was brought to the heritage park along with the oldest and most precious building in the park, the kurna (chimney-less) hut of Franciszek Stopiak from Zawoja Budzonie, dating from 1802-15. In this, the oldest building, an ethnographic exhibition was set up with characteristic interior fittings for the inhabitants of Babia Góra.

   The Parish Church of St. Clement the Pope and Martyr
in Zawoja was built in 1888. In the construction use was made of material from a  previous church which stood on this spot in 1757-59. It was endowed by Albrecht Habsburg, and based on a design by Karol Pietschka. It is an eclectic church, showing feature of the Alpine style. The interior was built to a Latin cross plan and has a tri-nave basilica layout. Inside the ceilings are supported on cast-iron columns between the naves. Noteworthy are: the figurative-ornamental polychrome from 1930 the work of Z. Milli and M. Arczyński, and six wooden baroque altars.

   The Orawa Ethnographic Park in Zubrzyca Górna was opened to the public in 1955. However its history goes back to 1937 when the Treasury became the landowner of the 4 ha area where a manor house has stood since 1784 along with farm buildings and a park. It was a donation by Sandor Lattyak (Łaciak), (the last heir of the Moniak family, and his sister Joanna Wilczkowa, after whose death in 1951 the open-air museum began to be organized. The character of the old-fashioned manor estate was preserved. A museum was also created, displaying the culture of the whole of Polish Orawa.

   The Regional Museum in Sidzina opened in 1963 to mark the 400th anniversary of Sidzina’s founding. The creator of the  open-air museum is Adam Leśniak. In it you can see an exhibition of traditional buildings from the Orawa region, including the peasant cottage and fittings of W. Banasik from 1806; a granary called “Górka” (hill) from 1897, which houses the Institute of National Memory, dedicated to the memory of September 1939 soldiers and World War II partisans, as well as a smithy transferred from Spytkowice. An unusual adornment to the open-air museum is a wooden Loreto bell-tower dating from 1937.

... photo...

Wooden churches in Slovakia

The wooden architecture route in Małopolska

The Sądecki Ethnographic Park
(the heritage park)

Skansen w Szymbarku