Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
Articles
The Wooden Architecture route - Pogórzanie
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.01.2010

 * Ptaszkowa - 1555
* Wilczyska - 1605
* Szalowa
- 1736
* Ropa
- 1761
* Rożnowice - 1756
* Libusza
- 1513

photo - mapofpoland.pl, Bohdan Zhukiewicz (Jan, zakapior, bo)


* Sękowa
 The church of St Philip and St James the Apostles,
- is one of the most beautiful monuments of wooden architecture in Poland. It was erected at the beginning of the (16" century) what is testified by a late gothic baptismal font in the form of a chalice with an engraved (date 1522).  The characteristic silhouette of the church is unique due to the steep roof joining the roofs of the arcading (the so-called soboty) and finally almost reaching the ground. Among interesting architectural details there is a late gothic portal and windows in the choir closed with keel arches. The most valuable furnishings of the church are as follows: panel painting in the high alter depicting saints Nicholas, Anthony and Bernard of Siena dated to the 16" century and an old relief over the mensal with the presentation of Death of Virgin Mary surrounded by the Apostles.
     Since 1883 art historians and conservators demonstrated a great interest in the church. It is depicted in the drawings of Stanisław Wyspiański, Józef Mehoffer, Władysław Tetmajer and other artists of the epoch.
   During the First World War Austrian and Hungarian army devastated the church thoroughly, demolishing it to strengthen the trenches and for making fire; the furnishing were also destroyed completely. Immediately after the military actions stopped senator Władysław Długosz started, and most probably financed, the reconstruction of the church.


* Binarowa
    The Parish Church of St. Michael the Archangel was erected
in (around 1500). It is a log building surrounded by a covered veranda (soboty),  with a post-frame construction spire added in 1596. The interior is a decorative art gallery: the ceiling has precious paintings from the beginning of the C16th, while the walls have baroque biblical cycles and in the chapel there is unique polychrome decoration from 1655. The most precious church fittings are the gothic sculptures dating from the end of the C14th: Madonna with Child, and the bas-reliefs of St. Margaret, St. Dorothy, St. Catherine and St. Barbara, found in the side altars. In 2003 the church was entered onto the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Bohdan Zhukiewicz

Read More...



The Wooden Architecture route in Krynica Zdrój end Tylicz end Powroźnik
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.12.2009

Krynica Zdrój
   The health resort buildings
date from the second half of the (C19th). They consist of grand wooden villas,  modeled on the architecture of Alpine health resorts and often recalling the so-called Swiss style, but also including features of native building styles. They were built using log-construction or post-frame construction, and possess extensive porches supported on pillars, and balconies with decorative balustrades.
The oldest of the buildings is the pump room.
   The “Romanówka” villa
was built in the middle of the C19th as a holiday guest house in the growing Krynica health resort.  It fulfilled this function for over 100 years. After being moved to its current location and the interior being adapted, the building was opened in 1994 as the Nikifor Museum / “Romanówka” Art Gallery, a branch of the District Museum in Nowy Sącz. In it you can marvel at the paintings of Epifian Drowniak, the famous naive painter and Lemko known as Nikifor Krynicki. The architecture of the villa, built in the so-called Swiss style, is an example of the health-resort’s eclecticism.
* The Auxiliary Church of the Transfiguration of Our Lord and Our Lady - 1863
* The Filial Greek Catholic Church of the Protection of the Mother of God - 1887-88
Bohdan Zhukiewicz
Photo (Jan, Zakapior)

Tylicz
* The Parish Church of St. Peter and St. Paul - 1612
* The Greek Catholic Parish Church of St. Cosmas - 1743

* Powroźnik

    The Greek Catholic Parish Church of St. Jacob the Younger (currently a Roman Catholic Parish Church) was built in 1600 and is therefore the oldest Orthodox Church in the Polish Carpathians. It was repeatedly repaired, and in 1813-14, after a flood, it was moved to its current location. The interior layout is tripartite with square rooms. The walls of the sacristy are covered by precious figurative polychrome from 1607. The rich church fittings include an iconostasis from 1743-44, currently partially dismantled, an C18th baroque side altar with a painting of Christ at the Column, and many valuable icons including The Last Judgment from 1623.
Zakapior

Photo (Jan, Zakapior)

Read More...



The Wooden Architecture route in Stary end Nowy Sącz
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.06.2009



https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C4%85decki_Park_Etnograficzny
   The Ethnographic Park, District Museum in Nowy Sącz

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stary_S%C4%85cz
   The wooden buildings
that have been preserved in Stary Sącz - (1257) date from the (mid-C19th)  they are wide-façade buildings with a manor house feel as well as free-standing rural houses. The latter have interesting gates with an unusual arrangement of planks on the door frame surface, or panel decoration. The buildings on the market square consist of bourgeois brick houses from the end of the C18th, built after the town fire of 1795. Among the most beautiful is the C17th “Dom na Dołkach” (“House on the Pits”), erected from stone and covered by a shingled roof. One precious Stary Sącz wooden building is the Szekler Gate  a gift from the Szeklers of Transylvania for John Paul II on the occasion of the canonization of St. Kinga.
Bohdan Zhukiewicz


Read More...



Zawoja...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 05.06.2009

   The Józef Żak Heritage Park in Zawoja Markowa was set up in 1973 on the initiative of Józef Żak, the long-running  president of the PTTK’s Babia Góra Branch in Sucha Beskidzka. The present plot of land was bought then along with the peasant hut from 1900 which stood there and belonged to Franciszek Kudzia. An exhibition was set up inside devoted to mountain tourism and it was also used as a  Research Station for the PTTK. In the 1980s Stefan Gancarczyk’s early-C20th hut was brought to the heritage park along with the oldest and most precious building in the park, the kurna (chimney-less) hut of Franciszek Stopiak from Zawoja Budzonie, dating from 1802-15. In this, the oldest building, an ethnographic exhibition was set up with characteristic interior fittings for the inhabitants of Babia Góra.

Parish Church of St. Clement the Pope and Martyr - 1888.

Read More...



Sidzina...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 25.05.2009

  The Regional Museum in Sidzina opened in 1963 to mark the 400th anniversary of Sidzina’s founding. The creator of the  open-air museum is Adam Leśniak. In it you can see an exhibition of traditional buildings from the Orawa region, including the peasant cottage and fittings of W. Banasik from 1806; a granary called “Górka” (hill) from 1897, which houses the Institute of National Memory, dedicated to the memory of September 1939 soldiers and World War II partisans, as well as a smithy transferred from Spytkowice. An unusual adornment to the open-air museum is a wooden Loreto bell-tower dating from 1937.

Read More...



Sucha...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 20.05.2009

The Rome Inn in Sucha Beskidzka,
- was erected in the mid-C18th, with the consent of the old landlords of the location the Wielopolskis, when Sucha,  gaining privileges and the right to, for example, hold fairs, became a trading settlement. It is a single storey log-construction building, covered by a hipped roof with a characteristic ridge and arcades at the front. The name Rome Inn draws on the legend of Mr. Twardowski (a Faust-like figure) and the ballad written by Adam Mickiewicz. Currently the tavern contains a restaurant serving Old-Polish and regional dishes.

Read More...



Jurgów...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 15.05.2009

   The Parish Church of St. Sebastian and Our Lady of the Rosary in Jurgów probably dates from the year 1675, and was founded  by the village administrator Jakub Kesz and the miller Mikołaj. The brick sacristy and St. Joseph’s Chapel date from 1935. The walls are log-construction and completely covered in shingles, decoratively carved into a herring-bone pattern. The rococo polychrome decoration with figurative,  geometrical and floral motifs dates from 1813, and during the inter-war period it was repainted by Kazimierz Piętka. The church fittings are mainly rococo (C18th); the main altar is adorned with a figure of Our Lady of the Rosary and sculptures of St. Peter and St. Paul.

The complex of shelters in the Podokólne Clearing - 1879,
The Sołtys Farm House - Spiš Folk Culture Museum - 1861.

Read More...



The Wooden Architecture route in Krościenko n/Dunajcem end Szczawnica Zdrój
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 10.05.2009

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szczawnica
Szczawnica Zdrój - 1413

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kro%C5%9Bcienko_nad_Dunajcem
Krościenko nad Dunajcem - 1251
   The buildings date from the (C19th). The most valuable are those on the south frontage of the rectangular market square - four houses from the first half of the C19th, set gable-end on to the square and sharing common walls. Noteworthy are the houses from the second half of the C19th which are more imposing and have more floors, displaying spa architecture. Whereas in the Zawodzie district on Zdrojowa Street there are a number of 1930s log-construction wooden buildings, built to fulfill the needs of the growing spa. Characteristic of this architecture is the rich carpentry decoration of the porches and columned balconies.
Bohdan Zhukiewicz


Read More...



The Wooden Architecture route in Sromowce Niżne
By pogranicze
Published: 10.04.2009

   St. Catherine’s Church in Sromowce Niżne probably arose in (1513). Towards the end of the 1980s a new brick church was erected which took over the function of the parish church. The old church was built using log construction with vertically boarded and molded walls. The nave and chancel are the same width and are covered by a uniform shingled polygonal roof. The interior ceilings are flat. A precious relic is the gothic triptych from the end of the C14th with a copy of a sculpture of Madonna with Child. Two wings of a C15th triptych and a C16th wooden gothic font were moved to the new church.
Zakapior


Read More...



« Previous
... photo...
Info

Wooden churches in Slovakia


The wooden architecture route in Małopolska


The Sądecki Ethnographic Park
(the heritage park)


Skansen w Szymbarku