Sitemap Poland Ukrainian Slovak
News
Articles
Jurgów...
By Pogranicze Media
Published: 04.06.2018



   The complex of shelters in the Podokólne Clearing near Jurgów numbers 56 pastoral shelters which feature on the register of historical buildings. They were moved to the current location in 1879 from 90 clearings in the Jaworzyna Tatras, as a result of the loss of pastureland belonging to the inhabitants of Jurgów. Prince Hohenlohe set up a hunting range on the land. At that time around 100 shelters were brought to Podkólne, thus establishing the largest summer pasture land in the Tatras and Podtatrze, still functioning in the last quarter of the C20th. The preserved shelters are a precious historical monument of the disappearing pastoral material culture.



Jurgów
    The Sołtys Farm House - Spiš Folk Culture Museum consists of two buildings: one a residence - set gable-end on to the road and the other a farm building - its continuation. The farm house was built in 1861 by Jakub Sołtys. The cottage was covered by a half-gable shingled roof, while the farm building had a boarded gable roof. Since 1981 the farm house has belonged to the Tatra Museum in Zakopane, which after repairs (1982-1985) set up a museum branch here. The ethnographic exhibition displays an impoverished Spiš peasant farm from the turn of the C20th.

Ads